Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Misquote Unquote

183 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

• Paul Rowe,

Leggie, I was gonna include that one! Thought the bribery winter games was apt, didn't want to come down too heavy on the Americans...

What odds on NZ winning the Test Match? Flem needs 8 more to keep his average above 40...

Lake Roxburgh, Central Ot… • Since Nov 2006 • 574 posts Report

• Rich of Observationz,

Why don't we put the evil foreign bankers in kinky boots and black leather greatcoats, folks?

I'd be on for that - you wouldn't??

But seriously, yes, it is a problem that it's considered ok to wrap xenophobia up in a Swanndri and a pair of gumboots. The Aussies are worse about it though, not to mention "traditional Kiwi" businesses like Holden (USA) and Speights (Japan, mostly).

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report

• Robyn Gallagher,

Absolutely. I'd be very pleased if the Olympics in its present form was scrapped altogether.

I'm sure every Olympic sport has its own world champs which, in a way, have more gravitas (though less glamour) than the Games.

But it's kinda nice when (almost) everyone comes together and competes.

Since Nov 2006 • 1946 posts Report

• Neil Morrison,

I've never thought of Michael Paranti as being particularly reliable. His attiude towards Slobodan Milosevic is quite repugnant.

I don't know anything about Tibet's history and presumable, like most other countries, Tibet's past is not perfect but I doubt Parenti is the best source of information on this.

Since Nov 2006 • 932 posts Report

• LegBreak,

PR, it’s still a long, long way off.

Hasn’t the drama around Fleming’s average being a pleasant little diversion from the sad state of things on the field?

England don’t deserve to win though, given their negativity throughout the series; highlighted again this morning by batting on and on and on…

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1162 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

The Aussies are worse about it though,

Yes and no -- remember it was an Aussie by the name of A. A. Phillips coined the term 'cultural cringe' (both classic and inverted). :)

Bur frak it, we're talking about Kiwibank. Doesn't the chairman (a good keen bloke by the name of James Brendan Bolger) look back on his years as Prime Minister and feel just a twinge of shame?

This kind of mindless nationalism -- and offensively trite allusions to people who, in some cases, risked their lives to protect Kiwi servicemen -- is not the kind of message I like SOEs putting out there.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Rob Hosking,

Why don't we put the evil foreign bankers in kinky boots and black leather greatcoats, folks?

I'd be on for that - you wouldn't??

Well, you'd probably have a more interesting time of it.

Did anyone ever have a sex fantasy involving someone wearing swandris and gumboots?

[That was a rhetorical question, in case anyone is wondering...]

South Roseneath • Since Nov 2006 • 830 posts Report

• Paul Rowe,

Agree with you there. Any success today only delays the inevitable as far as I can see. Mind you, you never know. Fleming might get within sight of Crowe's 299, now that would be a way to win the series <wishful thinking/>

England have been funny this series, mostly pretty disinterested I would have thought. If it weren't for the barmy army the series would have been a bit of a damp squib.

• LegBreak,

Well I agree the Barmy Army have improved things, but it’s still been fascinating purely due to the fluctuations and sudden swings in all 3 tests. That’s what tests are all about.

I don’t think England have been disinterested; more manically conservative, as opposed to our impetuous impatience.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1162 posts Report

• Gareth Ward,

This kind of mindless nationalism -- and offensively trite allusions to people who, in some cases, risked their lives to protect Kiwi servicemen -- is not the kind of message I like SOEs putting out there.

I agree that the campaign has gone too far now - there was always a tinge but it seemed to be in a cheeky, Trans-Tasman humour kind of way.

But also, I do NOT want SOEs used as political messengers in anyway and they should be left to market devices (with that market appropriately controlled) - the campaign is risible regardless of ownership.

Auckland, NZ • Since Mar 2007 • 1727 posts Report

• Paul Rowe,

I don’t think England have been disinterested; more manically conservative, as opposed to our impetuous impatience.

Exactly what cost us a three-test drubbing when NZ played England in 2004. Crippled by injuries we still tried to play like Australians. I had the pleasure of a day at the Leeds test that year, crowd more entertaining than the cricket. Come to think of it, England where conservative as all hell that test too.

• Tom Semmens,

Well some people on PA might find the idea of living in a branch office economy and having a vanilla shopping mall culture acceptable. I don't. Personally, I'm all for Kiwibank's nationalism. Bank with us and the profits stay here. Seems a perfectly acceptable marketing message to me. I am a nationalist and we need to stick up for ourselves & make our own luck in the world, if we don't then foreign corporates will shaft us quicker than you can say "economic colonialism".

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report

• Rich of Observationz,

re: English cricketing conservatism.

Possibly it;'s because the NZ team believe the hype that they're one last push (possibly involving 10 new players) away from being the best cricket team in the world.

Whereas England *know* they're average-to-crap and play a percentage game accordingly.

• Craig Ranapia,

the campaign is risible regardless of ownership.

ITA with you on that. You'd just think someone who had to share a caucus room with Winston on a revolving door basis would be a little more sensitive than most. And like you, I don't get all po-faced about a bit of trans-Tasman urine extraction, but there's got to be limits. Even in the hyperbolic world of advertising, I fail to see how Kiwibank's competition are vile 'invaders' and opening an account with them is joining the fiscal Marquis. More __Allo Allo!__ than __Secret Army__.

• Russell Brown,

I wish there was a chinese “public address” so I could read their threads.

It's SkyKiwi, although its audience is younger than ours.

Unless you can read Simplified Chinese text, you won't get anything out of it, but on past form it'll be roiling with declarations of Chinese nationalism from angry young men, along with some more moderate voices.

Anyone who can read it and would be minded to provide a digest in translation should, of course, go right ahead.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

Well some people on PA might find the idea of living in a branch office economy and having a vanilla shopping mall culture acceptable. I don't. Personally, I'm all for Kiwibank's nationalism

How about Kiwibank promote itself on the basis that it offers better services and lower fees?

• Rich of Observationz,

How about Kiwibank promote itself on the basis that it offers better services and lower fees?

Not a bad idea. But their best USP is that it is almost unimaginable that the NZ government would let a bank it owns fail. (Yes, I know it's not explicitly backed by full faith and credit, but in effect it is).

While it's *likely* that if ANZ/National for instance were to get into trouble, the Australian government (possibly with NZ help) would bail them out, it's vaguely possible that they wouldn't.

• Shep Cheyenne,

Cricket was a game devised for gambling and so the rich kids would have someone to play with.
    Gentlemen & Players - amateurs would pay for professionals (gardeners and the like) to play with them and occupy their summer days on their estates.

Now it's returning to its true form - HQ in Dubai and the game proper controlled by Pakistani Bookmakers.

Since Oct 2007 • 927 posts Report

• Gareth Ward,

Indeed, surely we'd prefer a NZ owned back that was actually better at what it does...
    But I should note I actually don't have any problem with Kiwisaver promoting it's NZ ownership - it's as valid a marketing exercise as any other and ceteris paribus is something that would influence my decision. But it can be done without overstepping the "thieving foreigners" line - like it originally was. Someone clever in the marketing department was clearly watching the AIA takeovers and decided to play that angle though...

And Craig, perhaps The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies is being held in Kiwibank's vaults?

• Russell Brown,

Quite. I think their desire to to move the brand upscale a bit -- it's seen as a bank for people who don't have money -- and they actually have a good story to tell on that score.

A little soft, pragmatic nationalism in the midst of a global banking mess would also go down well, but that's not what they've gone for.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Gareth Ward,

it is almost unimaginable that the NZ government would let a bank it owns fail. (Yes, I know it's not explicitly backed by full faith and credit, but in effect it is).

While it's *likely* that if ANZ/National for instance were to get into trouble, the Australian government (possibly with NZ help) would bail them out, it's vaguely possible that they wouldn't.

I fear you are correct but good lord I wish the security of our financial systems was a little less nepotistic than that!

• Paul Rowe,

There goes the Test match.

And I can recommend Flashman's Lady by the late & lamented George MacDonald Fraser for a brilliant description of cricket in the 1840s

• Rich of Observationz,

I wish the security of our financial systems was a little less nepotistic than that!

All but two OECD nations have deposit insurance for ordinary retail customers. NZ and Australia don't.

• Gareth Ward,

All but two OECD nations have deposit insurance for ordinary retail customers. NZ and Australia don't.

Yes, I was meaning more that I hope the NZ Govt wouldn't act differently in the event of bank runs etc based on whether or not they own the bank.

But on your point, the arguments around deposit insurance are interesting ones - all that moral hazard stuff really...

• Craig Ranapia,

Not a bad idea. But their best USP is that it is almost unimaginable that the NZ government would let a bank it owns fail. (Yes, I know it's not explicitly backed by full faith and credit, but in effect it is).

Rich: I'd love to see that in a Kiwibank ad, get Cullen and English in a room and watch their heads explode. Not the ideal market or political signals for the current environment. :)

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.