Indiana Jonesing

315 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

And yes the tax holiday is not a great idea - but this is poltics, it's what Clark is doing wiht fuel prices here.

"Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown." That's just not good enough from anyone, let alone a candidate who has been trumpeting her experience, her 'real world solutions for real world problems' (while damning her opponent as 'elitist' and 'out of touch with working people') that make her 'ready to lead from day one'.

OK, Senator Clinton, you had a chance to lead by NOT telling people what they wanted to hear. Instead, you followed McCain and took the cheap populist soundbite over sound policy. You weren't even willing to make the case for an inconvenient truth.

You can decide for yourself whether the domestic analogy applies. I've certainly got to wonder whether the Greens have a point about the flip-flops on emissions trading, fuel taxes etc. You know, all the shit that would require writing the reality check that rhetoric around 'sustainability' and 'carbon neutrality' and 'Kyoto commitments' will require a little more than buying an Eco-bag next time you're down the supermarket.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

the objective is the same - to keep gas prices down for political reasons

From the WaPo:

Hillary Rodham Clinton said Sunday she'll have no truck with economists telling her where to put her gas-tax holiday.

Well, now she's got a truckload of them.

More than 230 economists -- Democrats, Republicans, advisers to past presidents and four Nobel laureates -- signed a letter today opposing proposals by Clinton and presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain to suspend the 18-cent federal gas tax for the summer driving season.

"First, research shows that waiving the gas tax would generate major profits for oil companies rather than significantly lowering prices for consumers," they wrote. "Second, it would encourage people to keep buying costly imported oil and do nothing to encourage conservation. Third, a tax holiday would provide very little relief to families feeling squeezed."

If you can direct me to a similar degree of opposition for the deferring of the Auckland regional fuel surcharge, I'll concede your point.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• andrew llewellyn,

I always thought witches were appealing.

Since Nov 2006 • 2075 posts Report

• Neil Morrison,

Clark has choosen, justifiably in my opinion, political expidency with the surtax.

This is politics. Obama and Clinton have to take different positions on a lot of issues. It's Kabuki. I fail to see the need for all the outrage.

Since Nov 2006 • 932 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

it's aways different when it's Obama.

No, Neil, that's just as stupid as saying that disagreeing with McCain on Iraq makes you a terrorist-cuddling Islamofascist. I know we've previously had to agree to disagree on this, but iyou want to talk about 'Republican tactics' in the Democratic primary how about this puppy? Karl Rove couldn't have done the slick and profoundly dishonest politics of fear better himself.

But, hey, it's just politics! And it's always different when it's Hillary.

• Neil Morrison,

And it's always different when it's Hillary.

She's not perfect. And in past threads I've criticised her. The thing is, I prefer her by about 10%. 5% on certain quite narrow policy issues such as helath and education. The other 5% is just the usual slightly irrational tribal loyalty.

So I don't have any need to bitch about Obama or get outraged when his campaign is less than sqeeky clean.

• Kyle Matthews,

It is the same thing. For anyting stupid you can bring up about the Clinton campaign I can match it with something from Obama's.

Clinton clearly had never slugged back a couple of shots and then gone shooting 'coons off the back her truck in her life, yet that's the impression she seemed to be pushing in PA. I've seen shots of Obama bowling, which he wasn't good at but, but had clearly done it before. I saw footage of him playing basketball last night and he sunk a long jump shot no problem.

She's giving me a strong impression that she'll pretend to be anything depending on what group of people/state she's standing in front of that week. Which yes, is politics, but if it looks fake, people aren't going to like it, they're going to think she's just lying about who she is to get their vote. She looks fake to me.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• LegBreak,

As a few have said, all politicians pretend to do things they don’t like or are any good at.

For example, I swear I’ve seen a picture of GW Bush pretending to read somewhere.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1162 posts Report

• Neil Morrison,

Clinton clearly had never slugged back a couple of shots

she might have done after she found out about Lewsinky.

• Russell Brown,

Margins on votes counted so far:

NC: Obama by 156,585

Indiana: Clinton by 35,804

• Russell Brown,

Clinton clearly had never slugged back a couple of shots and then gone shooting 'coons off the back her truck ...

I am so glad you used an apostrophe there.

• Kyle Matthews,

I am so glad you used an apostrophe there.

Ah. It was a close thing actually. The other meaning of the word isn't really part of my vocabulary.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• Neil Morrison,

The Obama team are now talking of doing a deal over seating Michigan and Florida.

A clear sign that they now think this is sewn up and that's probably an accurate assessment of what's happen today. They wouldn't be offering to have those votes counted if they thought that would jeopardise his chances. Now they feel it safe to do so. Politics.

• Craig Ranapia,

Meanwhile, a somewhat disquieting snapshot from the other primary being held in Indiana today:

Precincts Reporting 86%

McCain: 296,174 {78%)
    Huckabee: 38,693 (10%)
    Paul: 28,808 (7%)
    Romney 18,251 (5%)

Ough... A twenty-two percent protest vote against the presumptive nominee is bad enough. In a state where the Democratic presidential candidate has won four times in the last century...

• Paul Rowe,

Which I don't think is necessarily a good thing -- he's gotten a near total pass on his own batshit pastor problem (with the important distinction that, unlike Obama and Jeremiah Wright, he's solicited and received endorsements from paranoid bigots).

Let's not forget we are still in primary season. McCain might not be getting the grilling that Obama & Clinton have received of late, but it will come. The Democrat candidate will have had any skeletons well and truly de-closeted by the time the Presidential campaign starts and will benefit from any extra scrutiny that is put on McCain's candidacy. Still early in the process. It is just unusual to be having a primary contest continue this late in the year.

Lake Roxburgh, Central Ot… • Since Nov 2006 • 574 posts Report

• Neil Morrison,

It is just unusual to be having a primary contest continue this late in the year.

And most Dems don't mind. Gallup has 60% of Dems wanting the contest to continue. Given that the polls don't have either of the candidates above 50% that's quite a strong mandate to keep going.

• Graeme Edgeler,

Anyone else find it interesting that Stuff (through Reuters) feels confident enought to call Indiana, when neither MSNBC, CNN, or ABC have?

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report

• Danielle,

McCain might not be getting the grilling that Obama & Clinton have received of late, but it will come.

But he's a 'maverick' and a 'straight-talker'!

In other words, I am dubious.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report

• Neil Morrison,

Not surprised by MSNBC, they're not about to do Clinton any favours, but looks like the possibilty of late returns from counties that heavily favour Obama could still cause an upset.

• Conor Roberts,

Holy moly it is close in Indiana.

It might come down to a city called Gary

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 57 posts Report

• Ben Gracewood,

So what is the overal outcome? A differential of +15 or 20 odd delegates for Obama?

SURELY HRC has no choice but to concede based on that? Assuming she comes out barely ahead in Indiana she could even claim she's goint out "on a high"!

Orkland • Since Nov 2006 • 168 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

The Obama team are now talking of doing a deal over seating Michigan and Florida.

A clear sign that they now think this is sewn up and that's probably an accurate assessment of what's happen today. They wouldn't be offering to have those votes counted if they thought that would jeopardise his chances. Now they feel it safe to do so. Politics.

The goss is that they believe they have a majority on the party's Rules and Bylaws committee and could force through a decision to seat the delegates. Which would not go down well.

Obama's reasoning may be that he'd rather not go into the election with the Democratic Party in flames.

• Russell Brown,

More on Gary

• Russell Brown,

FRom TPM:

First results reported in Lake County, 75%-25% for Obama with 28% reporting. If he maintains that margin in Lake County he wins the state. But it all depends where in the county those results are from.

The margin is now about 20,000 votes separating the two statewide.

This is amazing: if those late votes don't actually erase her lead, they'll come very, very close to it. There will be some people hanging on that count. It's basically the nomination, right there.

• Craig Ranapia,

Let's not forget we are still in primary season. McCain might not be getting the grilling that Obama & Clinton have received of late, but it will come. The Democrat candidate will have had any skeletons well and truly de-closeted by the time the Presidential campaign starts and will benefit from any extra scrutiny that is put on McCain's candidacy. Still early in the process.

Up to a point, Paul. But when the presumptive Republican nominee gives policy speeches on foreign affairs and economic policy, I would actually like to see some coverage. Iintelligent analysis might be a little too much to hope for. :)

McCain's not sitting around with his thumb up his arse until the Democrats make up their mind. He's on the campaign trail now, and it would be nice if the media got their heads around that.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.