Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: In tha Hoodie

81 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• andrew llewellyn,

Any chance you can post a link to a picture of yourself Andrew?

Not a useful one unfortunately. Imagine a grey haired potato garbed by those famous designers, Rodd & Gunn. After hours anyway.

A fez would look great with plaid.

Since Nov 2006 • 2075 posts Report Reply

• andrew llewellyn,

Did somone mention Fez ?

He related to Trelise do you think?

Since Nov 2006 • 2075 posts Report Reply

• lprent,

I was slightly shocked to find out how many leading homepages weigh in at ~1MB.

Wow! I tracked back and tried YSlow on my site The Standard. I was relieved to find that it weighs in at about 170kb for the front page, and about 240kb for a comments page that had 170 odd long comments over the weekend. That includes everything that it loads, gravatars, css, js, etc as well as the content.

In practice it'd be less than that because of the client side caching and compression. It is usually less than 25kb on the front and 80kb on a long comments page.

But the site is designed to be resource friendly at both sides of the system. On the server because I really don't want to pay that much. On the client because people want to read, navigate and write. It is a very simple site.

I should get hold of an itouch or something and css a mobile version. It'd mainly turn off the sidebars. But how many of our readers are likely to use one?

YSlow was elegant - nice use of a debugger.

Since May 2008 • 15 posts Report Reply

• Bob Munro,

Wow, Russell really is serious about getting down with the kids.

At the moment Kitchener and his crew are concerned about a Christchurch crew going by the name of PAS. They are starting to tag in Hawke's Bay.

Don't like graffiti? He doesn't care

Christchurch • Since Aug 2007 • 418 posts Report Reply

• Bob Munro,

Here’s a positive Hoodie Day story.

Edgeware Road victim's brother hails positive moves

In June 2007, a youth conference was held which gave 150 young people the chance to speak about the tragedy and discuss issues facing today's youth.
    A report from the conference was launched last night.
    It outlines several initiatives young people have been putting into place over the past year. They include holding more youth events and encouraging interaction with adults and authorities.
    Chris Young said people had learned from what had happened and the growth of youth organisations such as White Elephant and Red Panda was great to see.
    "I just hope those organisations and what they are doing keep going," he said. "Talking about issues is the only way to solve them. Unless people are out there making an effort to confront things, it's not going to change."

Christchurch • Since Aug 2007 • 418 posts Report Reply

• Nick D'Angelo,

Don't like graffiti? He doesn't care

As a former graffitti artist that story just leaves me cold. Not that I dispute it, it's just sad that it's come to this. (and by joves, couldn't that story have written itself? I can imagine many disgruntled citizens will clip and keep that for future 'See? Give 'em a dose of military discipline!' rants)

Here’s a positive Hoodie Day story.

And here's another. Many times over the past 2 decades I have resolved to start my own friggin' radio station so I could play some decent music! And I have continued to sit on my ass doing nothing about it while others have launched George, Base, Fleet, et al.

In my own defence: while I could grasp the concept of modern technology making starting your own radio station easier, I just couldn't get a handle on the actual technology. But not this kid. He's just gone ahead and done it

Simon Laan • Since May 2008 • 162 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.