Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Friday Fun

158 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 7 Newer→ Last

• Simon Grigg,

There are some intelligent Americans around, but they mostly live in Wellington.

when one considers that the USA just put, without the help of anyone in Wellington, although I guess the odd Indian and European scientist played a role, a hunk of functioning metal on the surface of Mars, I'd say there are one or two more.

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report

• Kyle Matthews,

a hunk of functioning metal on the surface of Mars

Second time lucky ;)

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• Simon Grigg,

(ii) that the Soviets liberated everything more or less east of the Elbe.

I'd agree, Rich, that much of the US populace is woefully ignorant as to who did exactly what in the Second WW, it's also arguable that much of what the Soviet sacrifice achieved could be termed 'liberation'..at least for a decade or four more.

• dubmugga,

I am not without regard for Rupert Murdoch. Capitalism rewards risk, and Murdoch has, at various times, taken huge risks (albeit with others' money) and reaped the rewards. He is also pragmatic when he needs to be: witness his interview with Reuters this week, in which he predicts a Democratic landslide in November and extends what amounts to a public invitation to Barack Obama to pop in for a cuppa.

makes perfect sense if obama is the antichrist. The living embodiment of the antichrist in the times of the end.

;)

the back of your mind • Since Nov 2006 • 257 posts Report

• dubmugga,

ooops, read one antichrist as false prophet...heh

google this >> barack obama antichrist false prophet

• Rich of Observationz,

and I can't spell Auschwitz.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report

• Nick D'Angelo,

And that'll do. I'm trying to get my head around the MCH review of digital broadcasting regulation for my Listener column, and work up some Newsmash for next week's Media7.

Heh heh. According to The Man From Sky you can save time by winging the latter. According to him no-one's watching! If he means Freeview he's right, I'm not watching. If he means YouTube it's a differrent story.

PS Congratulations to Nick Dwyer for Making Tracks on C4. We loved it in our house. The debut episode turned out to be less about the local cover versions of...

My word yes, that was very impressive. I too thought the NZOA funding was tenuous, but I'm more than happy to overlook it since the final product was so good. I'm surprised more hasn't been said by the critics, but I think Nick's got a big future ahead of him in broadcasting. (And I knew he spoke Japanese, but Portuguese as well!!?? WTF :)

BTW (off topic) in looking for a link to that comment by the Sky Boss quoted in Friday's Herald (I couldn't) I came across this, which I thought was interesting:

four major US companies - Ameritech, Bell Atlantic, Time Warner and TCI - acquired a 51.1 per cent interest (in SkyTV) through a joint-venture partnership after the National Government canned the overseas ownership restrictions on broadcasting companies.

Simon Laan • Since May 2008 • 162 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

We’re just going to have to disagree about whether Hillary planting factual good news stories about herself to upstage Obama is in the same league as conservatives planting bogus stories to game coverage of the Dem candidates.

Yes we are, Neil, because I really don't have time today for another round of 'chase the shifting goalposts'.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• dubmugga,

My word yes, that was very impressive. I too thought the NZOA funding was tenuous, but I'm more than happy to overlook it since the final product was so good. I'm surprised more hasn't been said by the critics, but I think Nick's got a big future ahead of him in broadcasting. (And I knew he spoke Japanese, but Portuguese as well!!?? WTF :)

Annoying little twat. I just want to swat him and say " look bro dont be such an arrogant condescending little know it all cunt cos it alienates people."

I just can't watch or listen to him cos of it. Shame really, but yes I can see him being the next paul holmes or paul henry. Both annoying arrogant little twats in themselves.

• Russell Brown,

Annoying little twat. I just want to swat him and say " look bro dont be such an arrogant condescending little know it all cunt cos it alienates people."

I don't get that at all. In fact, I was struck by his authentic good nature in Making Tracks.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Simon Grigg,

I don't get that at all. In fact, I was struck by his authentic good nature in Making Tracks.

Exactly...Nick is what he is and the enthusiasm is absolutely genuine..that's what comes through for me. He loves what he does and is encyclopaedic in his knowledge.

To be honest, far from alienating folks, having know and worked with Nick for a decade, and counting him as a close friend, I've never heard a bad word about him before.

And his work with Redbull is exemplary

• samuel walker,

Dub, Nick is one the the very few honest people on television today. plus he fucking LOVES music. and is passionate about innovative music. that ain't no facade you are seeing there. not just some wannabe tv star pretending to know what he is talking about. cant you tell that?

too busy looking for the next media conspiracy?

:)

Since Nov 2006 • 203 posts Report

• dyan campbell,

Me too, I enjoyed the show enormously, and was very impressed at how well he connected with everyone, how enthusiastic he was, and how well informed he was about the musicians he was meeting, the places they lived and how this influenced their music. He was very warmly received by everyone on the show, that was evident and a big part of what made the show so enjoyable.

auckland • Since Dec 2006 • 595 posts Report

• dubmugga,

I'm sure his love and encyclopaedic knowledge of music is genuine and he's probably a really nice guy to boot but for no other reason in not liking some rappers because of the way they look combined with their tone, flow, style, lyrics and delivery i just don't have any love for him...

...it's not like he needs any extra fans with you lot singing his praises anyway :)

• Russell Brown,

i just don't have any love for him...

There's still no call to call him an "arrogant condescending little know it all cunt" though is there? You've thrown around a lot of abuse since you started posting here. People will be thinking you're bitter. Maybe you should think of a nice thing to say next time ...

• Russell Brown,

If I were conspiratorially minded I’d make a connection between that and Could the Republicans Pick the Democratic Nominee? -- The Untold Story of How the GOP Rigged Florida and Michigan.

Well, it seems the party has reached a compromise over Michigan and Florida. No sign, unfortunately, of some of the Clinton hardliners ceasing to act crazy.

• dubmugga,

There's still no call to call him an "arrogant condescending little know it all cunt" though is there? You've thrown around a lot of abuse since you started posting here. People will be thinking you're bitter. Maybe you should think of a nice thing to say next time ...

hahaha or what ???

Check the bean counting thread. Maybe instead of being bitter it could possibly be an act, cyber performance art if you will . An overblown caricaturised internet persona that as a disclaimer i should state doen't neccessarily reflect the real opinions of the author. A kind of anonymous playa hater who when it comes right down to it doesnt really give a shit about what he says on line as in the general scheme of things it changes little and is no more than light entertainment which if this were print medium would garner no more than a flitting glance and a chuckle on day old fish and chip paper

Hmmmm a nice thing to say ???. Nick D has great taste in t shirts !!!

• Neil Morrison,

No sign, unfortunately, of some of the Clinton hardliners ceasing to act crazy.

is that right. let me know when you decide to move on from snark and ill-informed moralising on this issue. there are other forums that offer informed and interesting debate.

Since Nov 2006 • 932 posts Report

• Danielle,

instead of being bitter it could possibly be an act, cyber performance art if you will. An overblown caricaturised internet persona that as a disclaimer i should state doen't neccessarily reflect the real opinions of the author.

I believe that's called 'trolling'.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report

• dubmugga,

I believe that's called 'trolling'.

...so build a bridge and jump off it cos it's a fine line between trolling and trying to initiate frank discussion, playahating and critical feedback, chopping down tall poppies and knocking back overblown egos. Can you tell the difference and does it matter as long as the post is on topic ???

its the thread jacking and the shooting of messengers that irks me...

• rodgerd,

there are other forums that offer informed and interesting debate.

Hey, maybe someone will shoot Obama!

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 512 posts Report

• dubmugga,

...you can't kill the antichrist with a bullet

• Danielle,

it's a fine line between trolling and trying to initiate frank discussion, playahating and critical feedback, chopping down tall poppies and knocking back overblown egos

Yeah, yeah, fight the power, you mighty truth-teller.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report

• dubmugga,

^^take one for the team !!!

• Craig Ranapia,

Well, it seems the party has reached a compromise over Michigan and Florida. No sign, unfortunately, of some of the Clinton hardliners ceasing to act crazy.

Um, yes... I can't imagine McCain isn't wetting his pants with glee at some of the stories coming out of that meeting. Sure provides plenty of fodder for "They can't pick a candidate without behaving like this -- are you sure you want them running the country?" ads.

I'm certainly sure McCain welcomes every second of air-time not focused on his "verb tense error" regarding troop levels in Iraq.

And not that I think Nick would care one way or the other, I found him utterly beguiling in person (we crossed while recording for PAR) and really enjoyed Making Tracks, though neither music nor travel shows are really my cup of lapsang souchong. Ddubmugga, if you really want to be outraged by condescending prats insulting the natives try Intrepid Journeys. Whoever keeps commissioning that cringe-inducing pile of crap should be pushed under a bus. Repeatedly.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.