Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Friday Fun

158 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

• Russell Brown,

is that right. let me know when you decide to move on from snark and ill-informed moralising on this issue. there are other forums that offer informed and interesting debate.

Well, given a unanimous decision by the rules committee on a compromise (one that Obama's side could actually have rejected in favour of a 50-50 split in MI), you'd think everyone would now move on.

But, no, the Clinton supporters heckled and jeered the party's own officials in the presence of the press.

And I genuinely don't understand most of what people write on sites like Corrente. They're not just off in their own world, they're using their own language.

And I thought that Hillary comparing her plight in Florida to that of the Zimbabwean opposition was fairly tasteless too.

So yes, I do think it's fair to say that "some of the Clinton hardliners" are acting angry and crazy, and I think it's not really fair to characterise that observation as "ill-informed moralising".

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• dubmugga,

Thing with Nick D is, he talks too much for my liking.

dubmugga, if you really want to be outraged by condescending prats insulting the natives try Intrepid Journeys. Whoever keeps commissioning that cringe-inducing pile of crap should be pushed under a bus. Repeatedly.

that'll be those visionaries at NZ on Air again...

With such curmudgeonly thoughts, you'd expect me to be delighted that TVNZ is to be stripped of control of its prime-time charter funding...

NZ On Air is now in charge of controlling that charter fund and its board is hand-picked by the government to be safe, steady and dull.

It's no accident that the stunningly successful Flight of the Conchords series couldn't get made here, for example. It involved risk, and assumed the viewer might have a brain.

That's the sort of decision Broadcasting Minister Trevor Mallard ought to be grumbling about
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4567451a22678.html

...sounds just like the crap music we get fed by state funded tastemakers in collusion with radio programmers.

and now we're getting the latest locally adapted, dumbed down, lo budget version of 'NZ's got talent' to go along with the totally cringeworthy 'stars in their eyes'...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4568285a1860.html

...can't fucking wait. Only thing worth watching for is if the luscious Miriama has a wardrobe malfunction and lets one of the puppies slip out for a perv

I get so embarrassed sitting with foreign visitors watching our shit tv

the back of your mind • Since Nov 2006 • 257 posts Report

• George Darroch,

Dub, if you can't talk here without abusing people, or expressing hyperbolic positions that alienate even those who might agree with you, then you are trolling. I don't mind swearing either, but seeing so much of it kind of grates too.

Please, tone it all down a little, cause I like how ordered and sane this place is.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report

• dubmugga,

...not really a fan of ordered and sane, i prefer insanely chaotic. Its a more accurate reflection of the real world.

I see Obama has distanced himself from the church now, surely that's an omen...

the back of your mind • Since Nov 2006 • 257 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

No, really, some of the serious Clinton supporters have gone crazy.

Taylor Marsh's post one the rules committee decision is one thing, but she's actually had to wade in to beg her readers to stop posting violent threats.

These people have a bit of a nerve calling Obama supporters cultists ...

• Russell Brown,

Samples from TaylorMarsh ...

After seeing what the Obama campaign and his supporters have done and are doing, I feel VERY confident that if Hillary Clinton is not our nominee, then my support (and millions of other Hillary supporters) will cast a vote against Obama and for John McCain.

I can never support Barack Obama. I do not trust him. I sincerely believe he is a National Security threat to America.

And:

And where is Al Gore? Where is that hypocritical sack of shit? He's hiding. He is silent. He is worthless. Defend our suffrage Mr. Gore or go to hell.

Accept it now that the Democratic Party does not want Hillary Clinton to be the nominee. The Democratic Party has decided to embrace a decidedly anti-semitic/anti-Israel/anti democratic candidate. She will not get satisfaction from the Credentials Committee. There is no party machination that is going to embrace her, protect her or endorse her. This is not because she is a woman. It is because the Democratic Party is now a Leftist Junta. There is only one way to stop this: If Hillary Clinton is denied the nomination the Democratic Party must be brought down.

And:

ou know, they reported that the United Nations was going to be investigating racism in our current elections (no mention of anyone interested in investigating the more rampant sexism, though...).

But what about an international organization to investigate the selective disenfranchisement of voters? The people of Florida and Michigan, having their votes only count for half, have now been reduced to less than when blacks were only considered to be 3/5 of a person. We are regressing.

And:

Taylor ,

Barack Obama is the puppet of DNC , they all have joined hands against Clintons!
    THEY WANT THEM OUT AT ANY COST!!
    EVEN THE WHITE HOUSE!!
    die for hillary | 06.01.2008 - 04:34 am

• Graeme Edgeler,

The people of Florida and Michigan, having their votes only count for half, have now been reduced to less than when blacks were only considered to be 3/5 of a person.

Well, at least it shows an appreciation of history.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

And I thought that Hillary comparing her plight in Florida to that of the Zimbabwean opposition was fairly tasteless too.

Well, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a sane rationale for comparing the 2008 Democratic Florida primary to the 2000 general. I know this drives certain individuals around here nuts, but I really think some people who should really know better don't believe there's any similarity at all but were cold-bloodedly packing an open wound among much of the Democratic base with rock salt. With all due disrespect to Ms. Marsh, I've really got to disagree who's showing the arrogance, idiocy and tin-eared contempt here.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Okay, some more.

An LA Times story about the protesters at the rules committee meeting.

It's easy to sympathise with a group of mostly older women who've seen the best chance of of a woman in the White House in their lives slip away, but why is everything Obama's fault? To the extent that they'll vote for McCain? And actually seem to hate Obama?

Haven't we established that the two Democratic candidates have very similar policy platforms? Why would they do this?

And check this:

Recall the arguments that Obama used to make. “To know me is to love me” Obama would say. ‘My supporters won’t vote for Hillary but Hillary supporters will vote for me’.

Now Obama knows better.

In many quarters, to know Obama is to loathe him. In poll after poll, state after state what is clear is that Hillary supporters - women, latinos, white working class voters, rural voters, African-American Hillary supporters - will NOT vote for Obama under any circumstances.

Yet, smart people like Celinda Lake (and dummies in Big Media) continue to make the argument that Hillary Clinton supporters will “come home” to the Democratic Party no matter who the nominee is. These usually smart people are betting that Democrats will be force fed “unity” and will eventually vote for the nominee of the Democratic Party based on issues.

And this:

Because there are a lot of people who refuse to look at the facts and choose to ignore the character and judgement flaws that surround Obama does not mean the rest of us, the people who DO care to WIN in the General Election do. We pay attention and we see a lot of people like you being sucked into rhetoric with no substance by a man with no character and using the race card to cover it up. We see the media and Obama supporters WILLINGLY disenfranchise MILLIONS of voters hiding behind “rules” that were set in place by a Republican Legislature! The DNC is willing to go along for MONEY and back Obama, the CORPORATE PUPPET regardless of the fact that he can not win in November, there is no WAY a Marxist will win against a war hero. Hillary is the strongest candidate and TODAY and throughout this campaign has shown how she can WIN IN NOVEMBER. She is AHEAD and has the ELECTORAL VOTES and POPULAR VOTE on her side. The fact that Delegates have supported Obama ( against the wishes of the voters in their states) for MONEY is not DEMOCRACY. It is a TRAVESTY of Justice and Democracy. It is shameful that Obama supporters have willingly supported Obama playing the race card and supported his sexist sickening gestures and words.
    The Democratic Party has been hijacked by rude, sexist jerks all for MONEY. Obama is BUSH

Cool. A Marxist and a corporate puppet.

As one woman on TPM says, WTF?

• Nick D'Angelo,

As one woman on TPM says, WTF?

from that link:

Because these Clinton people saying they’ll vote for McCain — they sound like a vegan at a restaurant saying, “Oh, you’re out of the tofu and sprouts? Then just give me a bloody steak and a side of veal cheeks.”

Love it!
    (I've actually done similar myself - that's when you realise you have an anger management problem)

Re: Dunkin' Donuts pulling their TV ad because rightwingnuts argued Rachel Ray's scarf was Jihadist (yes, it was waaay back) -- I took a few minutes on Friday to email the company and let them know I thought they were reactionary idiots. They took a few minutes to reply:

Thank you for sharing your comments. We always appreciate hearing from our customers. As of this past
    weekend, we are no longer using the online ad featuring Rachael Ray wearing a black-and-white silk scarf
    with a paisley design. Our decision was based solely on the fact that the possibility of misperception
    detracted from the intent of the ad, which was to promote iced coffee -- nothing more, nothing less.

At Dunkin' Donuts, we value all our customers and are committed to making your experiences with us
    memorable and pleasant. Thank you, again, for making us aware of your concerns.

(The use of bold is mine)
    I have to admit some grudging respect for their PR team. That is a fine example of the Dark Arts of PR. How can I boycott their product when they are so nice to me?

Simon Laan • Since May 2008 • 162 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

Cool. A Marxist and a corporate puppet.

And don't forget he's also an Islamofascist Manchurian Candidate and and some wide-eyed uber-fundamentalist KKKristian on the downlow. Seriously, this is a pretty scary case study in my thesis that politics becomes a secular religion for far too many people. I wouldn't go as far as some and call Senator Clinton a 'sociopath', but the worse of her supporters sure have some serious dissocial personality disorder going on.

• Russell Brown,

Good grief. Corrente and others have been posting this video of one of the pro-Clinton protesters interview outside the meeting as if it's a good look.

She called Obama "Mr Kumbaya". She actually did.

• Kyle Matthews,

Good grief. Corrente and others have been posting this video of one of the pro-Clinton protesters interview outside the meeting as if it's a good look.

She seems a little confused. The first half of what she said is that if Obama is the nominee, we hand McCain the election. She seemed to think that this was a bad thing.

She then said that she was voting for McCain, and would never vote for Obama. She didn't seem to see the contradiction in helping McCain, who is a bad thing.

Either way she's an idiot, she's from California, her vote's not going to make a difference whatever way she goes, Democrats will take that state easy.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Either way she's an idiot, she's from California,

Know quite a few from California (family even) and... ok.... point taken.:-)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Having conducted a brief survey of the offerings, I have decided that Larry Johnson's No Quarter is the creepiest of the Clinton dead-ender blogs. It's like the Free Republic or something.

Johnson has been touting the supposed Michelle Obama "whitey" tape, even as he admits his only source for a claim of the tape actually existing are some Republican dirty-tricks guys.

According to Corrente, two of his readers are under investigation after making something like assassination threats against Obama in blog comments. Wow.

• Craig Ranapia,

Either way she's an idiot, she's from California, her vote's not going to make a difference whatever way she goes, Democrats will take that state easy.

Um, OK, Kyle. I guess the reality-based wing of Democratic Party realise there are one or two races that have to be won down-ticket and won't be a cake walk. I was quite serious up-thread, if I was a Republican campaign operative I'd be taking every opportunity to ask, "__These__ people you want answering the phone at 3am?"

And for someone who is so worried about "throwing the election to the Republicans", Miss Kumbaya did a damn fine job of ticking off the Rove/Limbaugh talking points. What kind of Sith Lord mind-shit are you working when your opponents are doing all your work for you?

• Craig Ranapia,

According to Corrente, two of his readers are under investigation after making something like assassination threats against Obama in blog comments. Wow.

OK, so am I being unfair in muttering "reap what you sow, folks". There's nothing wrong with being a Clinton partisan, but leave enough red meat lying around the place you shouldn't come over all surprised when something feral your way comes.

• Russell Brown,

She doesn't seem so representative ...

**California Democrats To Clinton: We Prefer Obama**

Hillary Clinton is still fighting for the Democratic Party nomination despite the delegate math being firmly against her, as we have explained on numerous occasions. Both Hillary and Bill Clinton continue to argue that the New York senator would be the better Democratic candidate in November. The Clintons point to her primary victories in delegate-rich California and swing states like West Virginia and Kentucky to bolster their arguments.

In the most recent Field Poll, however, California Democrats disagreed with the Clintons' latest pitch: 51% of those polled preferred Barack Obama, compared to just 38% for Clinton. What is remarkable is that this is a state that Clinton won by eight percentage points in February’s primary.

In the same poll, Obama’s California margin over John McCain is currently 17 percentage points, the same margin enjoyed by Clinton. McCain has noted that California’s 55 electoral votes could be in play in November, thanks to the Golden State’s independents (20% of voters) and his support from popular governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Yet Obama leads McCain 59% to 24% among those who declined to indicate party affiliation for the poll, often an indication of independent status for the general election.

The Forbes Interactive Electoral Map shows that a McCain victory in California could easily spell doom for either Obama or Clinton, but the recent poll shows that California isn’t likely to turn red this fall.

The Field Poll shows that Obama’s base of support is growing. Democratic men preferred Obama to Clinton by 21 percentage points and Democratic women, who helped Clinton to many of her victories, preferred the Illinois senator by 8 percentage points. Clinton only led Obama in only four categories: Voters with household incomes below $40,000, dropouts or those with just a high school education, seniors, and Latinos.

It also came up with 22% of Clinton supporters and 17% of Obama's saying they would be unlikely to vote for the other candidate.

• Kyle Matthews,

Um, OK, Kyle. I guess the reality-based wing of Democratic Party realise there are one or two races that have to be won down-ticket and won't be a cake walk. I was quite serious up-thread, if I was a Republican campaign operative I'd be taking every opportunity to ask, "These people you want answering the phone at 3am?"

I'm not sure what your point is Craig. I said she was an idiot, is the fact that we're having a rare agreement moment befuddling you?

• Craig Ranapia,

I'm not sure what your point is Craig. I said she was an idiot, is the fact that we're having a rare agreement moment befuddling you?

Kyle: The electoral makeup of the United States is a wee bit more complicated than Blue State/Red State, and I'm pretty sure the House Democrats would like to pick up the four Republican held districts in California that most pundits are picking as vulnerable. Stupid people get to vote too, and if Ms. Kumbaya and a couple of hundred thousand women like her are going to spite-fuck the Democratic party in swing districts then things could very interesting very fast. And I don't see how Obama gets blamed for that. California might end up in the Democratic column at the general no matter who the candidate is, but there's actually other considerations in play here.

• linger,

Stupid people get to vote too

and there's the biggest problem with democracy in a nutshell.
    It is vital for a truly viable democracy that political parties are engaged in minimising the number of stupid people, rather than simply pandering to them, which is the default option for parties wishing to gain power (once they've done the math). Watch out this year for parties chasing the stupid vote. *sigh*

Tokyo • Since Apr 2007 • 1944 posts Report

• Kyle Matthews,

California might end up in the Democratic column at the general no matter who the candidate is, but there's actually other considerations in play here.

Well I got the impression that it was her presidential vote that was switching, she didn't talk about anything else. But if that's the case, yup.

• Paul Williams,

She called Obama "Mr Kumbaya". She actually did.

Angry people make good entertainment but I seriously doubt this person's sincerity (or maybe judgment, I'm not sure which). I did a angry young man scene in the Tony Sutorious Campaign 1996 movie... I'm sure it's not quite so bad (it's certainly brief).

That anyone might think this would help Clinton is frankly astounding. If the reason she's still in the race is to position herself for another run, then the "spiteful spoiler" narrative isn't winner; she's not responsible for the comments of her supporters, but she might be nevertheless stuck with them.

What's the current inside oil on Democratic VP options?

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report

• WH,

Cherry picking crazy remarks of a candidate's supporters is a straw man fallacy exhibiting confirmation bias behaviours.

Since Nov 2006 • 797 posts Report

• WH,

I shouldn't be so flippant. Apologies to those who made more worthwhile contributions.

Since Nov 2006 • 797 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.