Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: So far from trivial

1095 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 30 31 32 33 34 44 Newer→ Last

• andrew llewellyn,

I'm just wondering Robbery - does throwing doubt upon the feasibility of the timeline throw doubt on the veracity of the whole story (so far)?

And what if it turns out his houise is single storied? SOmeone cam gleefully claim "Look, he can't have thrown her down the stairs after all, he just gave her a savage kicking!"

I mean, does this speculative detail matter? At this stage anyway. All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Since Nov 2006 • 2073 posts Report Reply

• robbery,

They said "up to" 6 hours

I'm not despuiting the crapness of leaving any victim of a beating you've just administer unattended on the floor for any amount of time. What I'm noting is the abysmal standaqrd of what passes for reporting and news.
    "up to 6 hours", what kind of a statement is that? who are they getting this info from,
    as I said earlier, police report, court documents, veitch's own lips, powell's own lips,
    I don't want to ever hear anything out of holmes' mouth again,
    The hearld can top pretending to be news and resize themselves to a tabloid and write fiction above most of the stories it applies to. I'm just glad I didn't fork out real money for that paper. then I would have been ripped off twice.

new zealand • Since May 2007 • 1882 posts Report Reply

• andrew llewellyn,

What I'm noting is the abysmal standaqrd of what passes for reporting and news.

I wonder if there's a bit of "let's see how far we can push it before he denies it"? At this stage I can't imagine him suing.

• WH,

I agree that there should be an accounting (as there should be after all offending) but that accounting is primarily owed to the victims of the offence.

Since Nov 2006 • 553 posts Report Reply

• robbery,

I mean, does this speculative detail matter?

apparently not to you mr shattered spine, or was it crushed? :)
    yeah, I think its really important considering how emotive this is,
    did he throw her down the stairs or not?

I mean, does this speculative detail matter? At this stage anyway.

depends if you're the talk back radio type, or a facts kinda guy.
    I'm sort of the later

All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

so in the meantime can we just make shit up? I want to get my alien abduction/ hermaphrodite multiple personality angle in there somewhere.

• andrew llewellyn,

so in the meantime can we just make shit up?

That's what I'm asking you actually :)

• andrew llewellyn,

I mean - I do wonder if the Herald is pushing the detail a bit to see what sticks, but they're probably just quoting their unnamed source.

Crushed/cracked vertebrae - that's serious shit whatever - and that doesn't seem to be in dispute - she will suffer all her life & will have undergone very painful surgery (should've seen the scar my sister had for fusing just two cracked vertebrae), not to mention loss of feeling & movement. Forever.

Whether those injuries were sustained from being pushed down stairs, or kicked, is pretty irrelevant to me, but will be of interest as or when official confirmation comes out.

• robbery,

Let me help

clever :)
    lead pipe, lead pipe

• Kyle Matthews,

any one got a plan to his house?
    is it 2 story?
    is the living area and kitchen on the top story?

This is starting to feel really creepy-weird.

Since Nov 2006 • 6147 posts Report Reply

• LegBreak,

What was the date of the attack again?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1162 posts Report Reply

• andrew llewellyn,

As if we'd give the plans to his house to someone called "Robbery"!

:)

• robbery,

and that doesn't seem to be in dispute

you're the only one I've seen use the term crushed (was it crushed or shattered, I'm too lazy to go back through the thread to find out) and I think the closest to official statement was fractured, which is bad enough as it is. if it had been broken arm we wouldn't have felt so queezy about it but we're very sensitive about our spines knowing full well the permanent possible nature of damage.

it does matter cos your way of phrasing it paints a picture of superhuman cyborg lifting frail earthling into the air with one hand and with a vice like grip turning her spine into power, I had visions of sarah connor chronicles.

I think its important to keep the picture of what happened real so that society can learn from it. real people do real shit to other real people, its a line that can be crossed, and we shouldn't be casual in our attitude to it. its not what mythical celebrities and poor people in sth auckland alone do,

• andrew llewellyn,

I'm too lazy to go back through the thread to find out

That's how come I've introduced a new term for it. But whatever, spinal damage, as Craig poointed out in his inimitable style earlier, is never good.

• robbery,

This is starting to feel really creepy-weird.

and it wasn't already?
    I find the media detail creepy and weird, I find our spiraling standards of what we expect and accept from our journalists and news papers creepy and weird, (ie I'm addressing a statement printed in a newspaper that said someone pushed another person down the stairs and left them there for 6 hours and the newspaper didn't feel the need to verify the source or explain anything about it except to print it knowing full well that people take newspapers at face value)
    I find holmes creepy and weird,

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I wonder if there's a bit of "let's see how far we can push it before he denies it"? At this stage I can't imagine him suing.

I seem to remember (Robbery ,you may need to correct me;-) that the 'lion man' celebrity that Bridget Saunders talks about (back 10 or so pages) denied, went to court, denied, fined $8000, keeps job. So anything is possible really.
    I know this may sound crass but he seems to be the ultimate pin up boy for "See what happens if you cover up violence toward others" and if anything bringing this to light may give Womens Refuge the boost it needs.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 5920 posts Report Reply

• andrew llewellyn,

fractured

Shall we settle on "broken" then? He broke her back.

• Emma Hart,

I seem to remember (Robbery ,you may need to correct me;-) that the 'lion man' celebrity that Bridget Saunders talks about (back 10 or so pages) denied, went to court, denied, fined $8000, keeps job.

From Wikipedia (because I couldn't remember either)

Craig had a previous conviction in 1991 for assaulting a female, for which he received a periodic detention. In 2005, Busch was convicted for assaulting his former partner, Karen Greybrook, who received a lumbar fracture, bruising and a cut head during the assault[1], which occurred when Busch discovered Greybrook in bed with another couple in January 2005[3], who stated things were not as they seemed[4]. In May 2005, Busch plead guilty to two charges of assault, and six other charges were dropped[3], and he was ordered to pay Karen $8,000 in reparations, but received no other sanctions

The pervading stench around that one was that he'd caught her in flagrante, and her adultery made his actions 'understandable'.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4327 posts Report Reply

• robbery,

(Robbery ,you may need to correct me;-)

pass, not really up on that case other than he was a celebrity that did bad shit and is back on our screens.
    I do admit to watching the show cos my partner is a cat freak but I mostly paint the humans out of the picture in my head.

• Emma Hart,

In fact, from the Herald article

Judge Michael Lance agreed with Mr Haigh that Busch's assaults were a "human and inevitable" reaction to seeing his partner in bed with other people.

Scuse me while I go vomit.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4327 posts Report Reply

• robbery,

Shall we settle on "broken" then? He broke her back.

shall we settle on what an official source says?
    veitch has said he was under the impression that he had caused bruising until later corrected, powell hasn't spoken on the subject and the rest is unverified sources.
    lets go for the revealed in time thing you said before but push for it to be revealed quickly,

• robbery,

and her adultery made his actions 'understandable'.

that line seems to jump around a bit doesn't it.
    I'm not sure if it is still true but wasn't adultery grounds for murder (justifyable homicide) in france up until recently. I'm sure there are other third world countries where that is still the case. we've got a long long way to go as a species

• andrew llewellyn,

lets go for the revealed in time thing you said before but push for it to be revealed quickly,

I'll go for that.

Meanwhile, before Graham Reid beats me to it - we've got what now - the Lionman, the Veitch & the.....? Help please.

• giovanni tiso,

Scuse me while I go vomit.

Ah, ye olde crime of passion. Enough to escape a murder rap, in many countries, including France and Italy as late as what, the nineteenseventies? Something like that.

That link you offered earlier on Roman sexuality was a gem, by the way. "A good woman doesn't move"... Plutarch, you dog.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7320 posts Report Reply

• Tigger,

robbery: You risk the wrath of others who I see from previous pages, attack any questioning of the "facts." You will be accused of being either an apologist for violence or a backer of Veitch himself. But good on you. It takes courage to do what you are doing.

Nelson • Since Jul 2008 • 7 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

Yes, his bravery is truly awe-inspiring.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3623 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 30 31 32 33 34 44 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.