Field Theory by Hadyn Green

Read Post

Field Theory: Out-yelled by Children

33 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

• AndrewD,

The South African Rugby Union seems to have balls enough to keep afternoon games even though a 7.30 game would be good for Tri Nations partners.

My kids have gone to one test only. 5.30pm Eden Park, Australia. They still say it was one of their most exciting nights and it played in Aussie at 2.30pm. Perfect.

And finally, the pub after tradition is dying with the night matches.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 54 posts Report Reply

• LegBreak,

The reason that SA is allowed to get away with day games is the European TV market, which is bigger than Aus / NZ.

Wellington are called the Lions because of Leo their long-term mascot, who has been around since the 1950s, way before beer advertising was legal. Same reason that Waikato are called Mooloo, Taranaki is Ferdinand etc.. They’re the organic names.

If you want a naff non-organic nickname I’d have thought it’d be hard to go past BoP Steamers, and all associated connotations.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1162 posts Report Reply

• Hadyn Green,

Just quietly BoP fans don't like "Steamers" either.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2090 posts Report Reply

• LegBreak,

It’s even worse than the Turbos.

And I don’t say that lightly.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1162 posts Report Reply

• Rob Hosking,

Counties-Manukau Steelers isn't too flash either.

South Roseneath • Since Nov 2006 • 830 posts Report Reply

• Edward Siddle,

i stand corrected about leo. i thought they had some guy in a funny top hat back in the day?

i remember seeing the BOP against the Central Vikings (remember them) in 1997 at the Rotorua 'Stadium'.....they had a great big volcano that went off every now and again, it was great! do they still do that? brought a whole new meaning to 'steamers'.

someone mentioned the radio, above, and indeed, that is often how i keep up with rugby matches these days. all a bit strange really, how i've gone back to how i used to digest the game when i was about 8 and there was only a one hour highlights show every saturday night at about 5pm. how else was one to follow Otago getting thrashed again (they weren't much good in the early 80s).

Wellington • Since Sep 2008 • 54 posts Report Reply

• Hadyn Green,

Counties-Manukau Steelers isn't too flash either

Yeah but that came from when they were just Counties (still) home of New Zealand Steel. So it does have relevance. and their mascot is Steely Dan!

i remember seeing the BOP against the Central Vikings (remember them) in 1997 at the Rotorua 'Stadium'.....they had a great big volcano that went off every now and again,

Dude, in Rotorua that was probably a real volcano :)

It's the "International Stadium" (seriously) and I can't remember a volcano when I was there in 05

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2090 posts Report Reply

• stephen clover,

Penalize people who happen to be in a nearby postcode and can't make it to the game? They do that in Australia and it's a crap idea, you can't talk about the game with anybody in another part of the country and plenty of people have legitimate reasons for not going along on the day. It ends up punishing spectators instead of encouraging them.

I agree.. and it's hardly gonna be possible as we move more and more towards non-geographically based TV transmission and reception models (i.e. the internet).

Hadyn, loving your work!

wgtn • Since Sep 2007 • 355 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.