Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: A news site where you can find the news!

113 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• George Darroch,

And all this is without recourse to any employment tribunal.

Are you sure?

And as 3410 says above, more than 20 employees.

A correction to an earlier posting - $10 per week.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Yep. And if I recall correctly, for people earning around that mark, and who don't have children (ie aren't getting WFF), you get a whole $10!

And that's before tax which as Cullen said yesterday, not even a block of cheese, perhaps a slice :)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole,

not even a block of cheese

Yeah, but what size block are we discussing here? I can get a 500gm block of house-brand Edam at Countdown for under $10.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler,

Also, the MyFreeview HD PVR (officially, they're calling it a "DTR" or digital television recorder, because that's the name that came up best in consumer research) should be in the shops today.

If only.

I've been to two stores already (DSE, JB Hi-Fi), and no-one can sell me a FreeVo.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Yeah, but what size block are we discussing here? I can get a 500gm block of house-brand Edam at Countdown for under $10.

Ozstralian cheese! I 'spose I could support the packers but I'd rather buy some good NZ stuff. Although my concern really is the ramming of legislation, that is happening in the House this week. I felt a bit sick yesterday, but, sadly, I expected it. I am glad however, that the Maori Party has opposed the 90 day fire at will.

• Kyle Matthews,

And that's before tax which as Cullen said yesterday, not even a block of cheese, perhaps a slice :)

Wait, your return from your tax cut, is taxed? That wouldn't make sense.

Unless you mean GST.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Or, if it does make sense, it's very dishonest.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

MPs can be dismissed from their party at any stage and may be constructively fired at 3 year intervals by demotion on their party list.

Whereupon they form their own micro-party, convince the voters of Stupidville to keep electing them despite their having left the Nats/Labour, get a nice job as Minister-outside-Cabinet and allow their ignorant pomposity to reach whole new levels.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

A technical critique of the new TVNZ site from someone who knows this stuff:

There are a swag of technical things that they appear to have NOT set up correctly that really drag down the load times.

Javascript files not minified, huge CSS files, no compression used when sending content ...

I'd estimate that they are serving 30-40% more traffic than they need to.

The home page is 1.2MB in size. which is about a 10 seconds download on 1 Meg DSL. That and the technical stuff are likely to make page serving times erratic due to unpredictable server loading.

Yikes.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• James Liddell,

And all this is without recourse to any employment tribunal.
    Are you sure?

Wilkinson's presser and Q&A are unclear:

"The trial period will also be covered by good faith provisions, meaning that employees will need to be fully informed about the trial period before agreeing to a trial period. Mediation will be available in cases of dispute.

Does this mean mediation only where it is disputed a trial period was agreed? And what happens when mediation fails?

You can go through the Employment Court if you believe you were unfairly dismissed on prohibited grounds of discrimination:

Employees will still be able to take a personal grievance under the discrimination provisions of the Employment Relations Act through the Employment Relations Authority or Employment Court.

Methinks the ERA / Court is going to be hearing many more cases of alleged dismissal for discrimination.

But, instead of going on the Minister's presser, it'd be nice to actually see the Bill. Pity the Bill's Office hasn't had time to put it online

Wellington • Since Jul 2007 • 102 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole,

The home page is 1.2MB in size. which is about a 10 seconds download on 1 Meg DSL.

This shows a complete, arrogant disregard for the huge number of folks in this country who're on dialup. When you've got 800-ish-thousand dialup connections in a population of 4.2 million, you don't just ignore them!

• Grassed Up,

On the issue of the use of urgency, Prof Jeremy Waldron had some interesting (and prescient) things to say about this in a lecture published by the Maxim Institute:

"We have to get away from a situation where those who support a bill
    support rushing it through the legislature, and only those who oppose
    the measure express any concern about the process. I have no doubt
    that if a National government, or a National-dominated coalition, is
    formed after the elections this spring, it will dominate the Parliament and make use of urgency and other parliamentary abuses, to get its measures through, just as much as its predecessor. That is what has got to stop."

http://www.maxim.org.nz/index.cfm/Media/article?id=1758

Since Nov 2008 • 12 posts Report Reply

• Heather W.,

Couldn't find an employment bill on the legislation site this morning but something there now.

90 day overview

North Shore • Since Nov 2008 • 189 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole,

Nasty. You can be sacked at any time during the 90 days, but you have no right to just walk out. Unbalanced much?

• Angus Robertson,

An open block of this has been in the fridge for 6 months. Extremely good value compared to all the other blocks that have been consumed in the period.

Auckland • Since May 2007 • 984 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Tax Cuts + Kiwisaver (2+2) for single (no WFF) = tax exemption canned for employee, now only for employer, and I think others are more versed than me on this, but it stinks for single folk. I am sooo confused now. Also, add 90 days,employee fired without being offered a reason why, 13 weeks stand down for unemployment.The future looks so bright. Is that right?

• Russell Brown,

This shows a complete, arrogant disregard for the huge number of folks in this country who're on dialup. When you've got 800-ish-thousand dialup connections in a population of 4.2 million, you don't just ignore them!

Some people did a dial-up speed test of all the major local news sites a couple of months ago. From memory, they were all ~1MB. The odd thing is, the TVNZ site could very obviously be smaller if some fairly straightforward things were done..

The guy who's always got this is Sam Morgan. As CEO, he'd reject display advertising that could affect the experience of his dial-up users, who constitute an important chunk of Trade Me's user base, especially in the regions.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole,

The TVNZ site is perfectly usable from home. Obviously anything that's Flash-reliant doesn't work, but the site can be used to get news and programming information just fine. It's slow, as expected, but definitely functional.

• Matthew Poole,

Some people did a dial-up speed test of all the major local news sites a couple of weeks ago. From memory, they were all ~1MB

"Everyone else is doing it" doesn't make it any more acceptable, though. They should all be hunting for designers who actually understand the demographics of the NZ internet. It's not primarily people on stinking fast fibre or DSL, it's mostly people on connections of, at their very notional best, 8Mbps, or less, or on dialup. ADSL2+ is not the predominate connection. And that 8Mbps sure as hell ain't happening at this hour on a week day!

• George Darroch,

13 weeks stand down for unemployment

Bloody hell! Is there a source for that?

If they knew how much hardship is caused by the present 2 week stand-down period... but they have no intention of knowing.

I remember when my family had to wait 6 weeks in the 1990s - we weren't paying rent, so I have no idea how someone who was could have survived. 13 is just unthinkable.

We're going Back to the Future!

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Something here Bear in mind Yoof will be dealt with differently soon as National has stated.I am pretty sure 13 weeks if you cant say why you lost your job, which the new law will create.

• Sacha,

It's not primarily people on stinking fast fibre or DSL

And let's not forget the shift to mobile browsing...

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• George Darroch,

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about that. Resignations and firings mean you're stood down for 13 weeks.

And the fact that under 25s have to live on $165 rather than $199. Cause, y'know, rent, bills and food is cheaper when you're 24.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

And Cheeses almighty, $3000.00 fine if your kid isn't enrolled in school. $300.00 to start, then $3000.00 if you don't do as you're told. What if you just get here, want to check out the choice of schools?Time is definitely of the essence. Will be Law by Saturday. F*#kn Hell :(

• George Darroch,

$3000.00 fine if your kid isn't enrolled in school.

Does that outlaw homeschooling then?

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.