Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Mac Ouch

154 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

• David Hamilton,

Sorry for the threadjack, but I need some advice: How pathetically geeky is someone going to see 'Watchmen' at 12.01am?

I see absolutely nothing pathetic or geeky about this, sounds like a great idea! Though clearly the correct time to schedule the first showing is five minutes to midnight.

Hamiltron • Since Nov 2006 • 111 posts Report

• Kyle Matthews,

The pile of rank bad practices that has accumulated around this is simply staggering.

We need some sort of international foundation for the preservation of democracy that will send them bits of paper and pens so that they can vote in a way that actually works.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• BenWilson,

Better make it pencils. Pens can run out, and don't work upside down.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report

• Paul Campbell,

I've had this conversation - most 'merkins are convinced that their elections cannot be done on paper and pencil

I suspect the issue is more "elections can't be counted before everyone goes to bed and loses interest in the TV"

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report

• Rich of Observationz,

What is, or are, "Watchmen"?

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report

• Rich Lock,

How pathetically geeky is someone going to see 'Watchmen' at 12.01am?

Geeky, but awesome geeky not pathetic geeky.

First film in ages I've been genuinely excited about. let us know how it is - one word will do ('good', or 'rubbish').

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report

• Rich Lock,

Ask Uncle Wiki

• Geoff Lealand,

2) tuck the excess cable under your sports bra strap so it doesn't fly around catching on things.

Can I vote against Jake taking more photos of this? Ta

One vote in favour, here! Tucking the cord between skin and shirt is a good idea--especially when gardening. Nothing quite stops the music like cutting through the cord with secateurs!

My biggest problem with the iPod is losing earbuds all the time. They don't dissolve in the ear (well, at least I hope they don't) but fall off much too easily. I use Bose earbuds (far superior to the iPod originals) and have resorted to a dab of Araldite on the fitting.

Any advice?

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report

• Emma Hart,

Can I just mention how deeply disturbing I find the use of the word Merkin to mean American?

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report

• Rich Lock,

I have resorted to a dab of Araldite on the fitting.

You might want to change to superglue. Sticks to the skin easier, and you don't have to wait 4 hours for it to dry before you go to the gym.

How do you get the araldite out of your ears afterwards?

• Kyle Matthews,

How do you get the araldite out of your ears afterwards?

What?? Sorry?? Speak up! Can't hear ya!

• Paul Campbell,

Let me google that for you ....

• Paul Campbell,

Can I just mention how deeply disturbing I find the use of the word Merkin to mean American?

I'm very aware of the other meaning - "'merkin" has been used online as a sneaky way to poke fun at those it describes but who probably don't know the other meaning since, ooo, about the mid 1980s

• mark taslov,

What's with the Telecom protection raquet ad up top? Yeah right they fixed my system. Bag men.

Te Ika-a-Māui • Since Mar 2008 • 2281 posts Report

• mark taslov,

racket

Te Ika-a-Māui • Since Mar 2008 • 2281 posts Report

• FletcherB,

Or This Link can be fun, if want to rub it in...

West Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 893 posts Report

• BenWilson,

Heh, but there does need to be a counter-site aimed at sorting out people whose only answer to everything is "Google". Otherwise we'll start getting shopkeepers telling us to Google prices on stuff when we're in the store. Seriously, this has actually happened to me (Dick Smith, New Lynn). For these guys "Google" has become a cunning way of turning around the problem of "I don't know shit about it". Which, curiously, may tie directly to the etymology of the word, since it was a baby's answer to a very technical question.

But there's still no excuse for not Googling Watchmen.

• Paul Litterick,

There is boundless pleasure in not knowing about some social phenomenon. I too know nothing of Watchmen, other than it is a comic book which is has been made into a film. I know also that people who like this sort of thing take it very seriously. So I shall revel in my ignorance.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1000 posts Report

• Rich of Observationz,

Ah, so a film produced by a large American (I'm so not using that wig-like word now) Big Media conglomerate.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that whilst the "geek" community is so affronted by the actions of Big Media in attacking Internet freedom, when said Big Media releases a sci-fi movie, the same people are happy to line up at stupid-o-clock and pay out $30 to watch that movie.

Is the version shown at midnight better and more interesting that the one that will be shown for the following month?

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report

• BenWilson,

Is the version shown at midnight better and more interesting that the one that will be shown for the following month?

Or the one that will come out on Sky Movies in 2 years, or Free-to-air in 3? So often recently, I'm finding that I can wait. I'm already drowning in a tidal wave of things to watch.

• Paul Campbell,

Shopkeepers better not get complacent about "go google that" I have a fun app for my (google) phone that lets me wander my local store, scan bar codes off products and look up competing prices, even order them online while I'm still in the store

Only works for US UPC barcodes and Amazon at this point but you can see where this is going ....

• Steve Withers,

Fascinating watching Republicans accidentally speak the truth...and then be forced to recant their heresy. These brief moments of intellectual integrity are all too fleeting and rare....and too easily quashed. Funny the party that is most bellicose and individualist is at the same time locked into a deeply-flawed group-think few dare repudiate .

Auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 312 posts Report

• Sam F,

Ben: me too. I actually find it truly depressing that there are so few movies for which I'm not willing to wait until the DVD is available for $1 on Tuesdays.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1611 posts Report

• Kyle Matthews,

People like new things.

And no doubt it'll give Craig something to bitch about in relation to the people who came in costume (I'm presuming he didn't).

Therefore, it'll be double-happy for him.

• Simon Grigg,

Fascinating watching Republicans accidentally speak the truth...and then be forced to recant their heresy.

Jonathan Martin seems to think that Limbaugh and Steele are making some people smile and that Carville & Co. want Rush to keep on talking please, as the voice that will lead the Republicans to political oblivion.

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.