OnPoint by Keith Ng

Read Post

OnPoint: Plague, Famine, By-Election

57 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• Joshua Arbury,

It doesn't include Avondale-Southdown, mainly because I don't think that's a particularly viable passenger line in and of itself. Cross-town rail lines internationally aren't particularly common, and where they do occur they're not that successful (Cumberland Line in Sydney is one example). However, I think the Avondale-Southdown line will be necessary for freight to bypass Newmarket eventually.

Anyway, there's a rumour that we find out National's prefered option for Waterview tomorrow. I guess parliament must be sitting, question time will be interesting!

Auckland • Since May 2009 • 237 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Wasn't one of the advantages of the Rosebank motorway route option better connection to its industrial zone? Is there a rail equivalent like a freight spur along Rosebank?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Seriously, some people just object for the sake of objecting.

As is their right -- though I did have to ask someone a few door down from us if they had any idea how many people would kill their mother (figuratively speaking) to have a police station next door. (Our view: Yes, a pisser having a giant building site on the other side of the road. Bus terminal and police station at the end of it, not so bad.)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• FletcherB,

info gained from listening to Radio NZ national on the way in to work this morning....

-Yes, We will find out National's preferred waterview option tomorrow (wed 13th)

-Ms Lee on the possible loss of hundreds of houses (paraphrased) "yes, I'm sure people who lose their house will be very sad, but its been on the cards for decades"

Is that even true? The "decades" bit? It was my recollection that up until about five years or so ago, everyone thought the connection was going down the Rosebank peninsular?

West Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 893 posts Report Reply

• Christopher Dempsey,

Not true.

What is true is the rail line designation - that's been in place for decades. The designation does not require hundreds of houses to be demolished. It requires exactly zero houses to be demolished.

What is also true is the possible loss of houses with a cheap* surface motorway, and this has been a possibility for the last 6-7 years or so.

So, unless a decade has been shrunk to 6 or so years, not true.

*Before anyone starts hyperventilating, cheap in this sense is relative to the cost of building a motorway and the environmental/social/health costs.

Parnell / Tamaki-Auckland… • Since Sep 2008 • 659 posts Report Reply

• Joshua Arbury,

There have been rumours for decades of this link, but the motorway designation for SH20 runs out at Richardson Road. I think that there was a previous designation for the motorway but that was lifted in the 1970s.

The Avondale-Southdown designation runs next to the Mt Roskill SH20 link, but obviously runs out at the Western Line behind the Mt Albert Pak N Save.

A surface option was considered the most likely until a few years ago, but Labour (wisely) decided that it would be too difficult to get consent for that option within the timeframe they wanted the Western Ring Route complete (by 2015) so they proposed the full tunnel option. This was based on work by NZTA for years and years sorting out relative costs and benefits of the various options, so my guess is that Labour knew the cost difference between a full tunnel and a surface option weren't particularly big, so it was a no-brainer to go with the tunnel.

The NZ Herald reckons the decision has been made: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10571772

Auckland • Since May 2009 • 237 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

And in case anyone is wondering, we all went over here to keep talking about Waterview. As you were.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.