Island Life by David Slack

Read Post

Island Life: Big Little City, Big Little News Service

123 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• Ian Dalziel,

Westie Super Mayor...
    isn't that like some big holiday camp in England?
    does Auckland really wanna go that way?
    The Daydreamteam: Gather Morgan (a suitable case for treatment) by day & Swney for nightmayor then...
    It's all relative...
    I'd be more worried if Richard Worth had any
    alleged "Nieces" - nudge, nudge...
    Pillow talk...
    I can think of a good way of getting rid of those featherwights Paul and John - you give fluffy to me...
    I have pressing business

yrs
    Peter Cushion
    Bring back the Pillowry Campaign

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• andrew llewellyn,

Apparently John Key thinks a mandate is Rodney Hide having coffee with John Banks.

But no fluffers?

Since Nov 2006 • 2075 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Fluffers? Found under the table at many an Auckland establishment according to creative gossip columnists, Andrew.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark,

so slow and exaggerated it made a pre-school teacher sound positively highbrow and obscure.

Hey! I can be highbrow and obscure with the best of them.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

'OK everyone, onto the mat. It's time for our afternoon reading from Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations . Shall we try another chapter in the original German?'

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Dianna Sutherland,

delivered her words in a tone so slow and exaggerated it made a pre-school teacher sound positively highbrow and obscure.

This has been going on for a few years now. I've assumed its part of the general reduction in content of docos and news items - spin whatever content you have out as long as possible, and fill in with moody scenes. Oh yes, and repeat everything from the previous segment at the start of the next one. I reckon 1 hour of documentary delivers 5 mins of content. And 10 mins of news delivers 5 mins of the All Blacks.

Since May 2009 • 1 posts Report Reply

• David Slack,

None meant, Jackie. And I have no doubt you'd sound better yet en Francais.

Devonport • Since Nov 2006 • 599 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

It's time for our afternoon reading

Bloody librarians. :)

• Stewart,

As opposed to "their afternoon calcium"?
    (It is from some ad. I thought WTF?? Afternoon calcium ?? Why, sir, I never heard such nonsense.)

Te Ika A Maui - Whakatane… • Since Oct 2008 • 577 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

Ain't democrazy a bitch?

I don't know. How about we tried it?

Like not electing a mayor on a postal ballot using bandwagon voting, with an out-of-date register and major parties that refuse to descend into the slime and contest the elections.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Patricia,

The Daydreamteam: Gather Morgan (a suitable case for treatment) by day & Swney for nightmayor then...

As long time reader may I just say, that you Mr Dalzeil, are worth the price of admission every single day. Brilliant.

Thanks

behind the couch • Since Dec 2008 • 17 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

I don't know. How about we tried it?

I could do without the tanties from the usual suspects when the results aren't to their liking -- and on that note, I've got to ask a few people when they're heading into exile.

As things stand, the only determination I've come to so far is that I do my best to make sure Andrew Williams is free to return to the circus freakshow from whence he came. If the left put up a viable candidate, run a competent campaign and secure a plurality of the vote so be it. I may even be one of them. And I somehow doubt whatever comments John Key made at the 2009 National Party Northern Regional Conference won't be a tipping point either way, no matter what hysterical vapourings are in train today.

And as long as we have secret ballots in this country, I think a little less patronage and condescension towards our fellow citizens who don't cast their ballots to our taste would be well in order. I'm no fan of John Banks, but unless you're willing to prove massive electoral fraud I really think its time to get the hell over it.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

ask a few people when they're heading into exile.

On the 22nd, since you ask, to visit numerous countries with left-wingish governments, plus Britain. But only till the weather warms up, which, despite the maladministration of the Key government, will most likely be this spring.

as long as we have secret ballots in this country

How are we assured that a postal vote *is* secret, really?

Also, I had a vote in Auckland, but couldn't bring myself to choose between Banks and Hubbard. If I'd had a chance to vote Green, or even Labour, I'd have taken it. Voting for a choice of two right-wing personalities I fundamantally disagree with is not my idea of a fair electoral system.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I'm no fan of John Banks, but unless you're willing to prove massive electoral fraud I really think its time to get the hell over it.

No thanks, never liked him ,never voted for him, don't want him.Tim Shadbolt will do.:)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Voting for a choice of two right-wing personalities I fundamantally disagree with is not my idea of a fair electoral system.

That's why you need STV voting in Auckland. It's much fairer and much more empowering. You can put your least favourite candidate last. It encourages less divisive candidates to come through as everyone's second choice.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Paul Litterick,

That's why you need STV voting in Auckland.

Had the Royal Commission come up with some sensible proposals about governance, rather than nonsense about councillors at large and appointed seats for iwi, the Government would have found it much more difficult to justify trashing most of their report and picking the bits which suited them.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1000 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

If the left put up a viable candidate, run a competent campaign and secure a plurality of the vote so be it.

Fair call.

I'm no fan of John Banks, but unless you're willing to prove massive electoral fraud I really think its time to get the hell over it.

And that too.

Although I do wish People On The Radio Pretending To Know What They're On About would stop saying that Banks pulled in some huge new cohort of voters last time. As I continually point out, he got almost exactly the same number of votes as when he he was dumped. The people who had previously voted for Hubbard just didn't turn up.

The same is true of Nikki Kaye in Auckland Central. For all the work she put in over months in that electorate (and good on her for that), she got about the same number of votes as Pansy Wong did three years before. The Tizard vote didn't turn up.

I think there's a fairly obvious lesson for the centre-left in those results. And, frankly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Phil Twyford has a handy win in Auckland Central at the next general election.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

And the biggest influence on Saturday's results may well be the weather. Again.

• Paul Litterick,

I think there's a fairly obvious lesson for the centre-left in those results.

If only it were obvious to the Centre-Left.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1000 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

That's why you need STV voting in Auckland. It's much fairer and much more empowering.

It's fairer. Fairest would be to have councillors elected by a proportional system who then elect a leader. That ensures that the leader (or "mayor", if you must) has a consensus behind them. (Much as for national elections, really).

I would point out that last time Banks and/or the Citrats would have won in any system, based on those voting. Most times however, that wouldn't be the case. In '04, for instance, we may have got a Labour mayor.

Plus the Auckland urban region (containing as it does South and West Auckland) would most likely elect a Labour-led council quite often, based on parliamentary polling. The Banks-o-mander being pushed through is deliberately designed to neutralise this tendency.

• Islander,

I'm collecting Ian Dalziel. Love him- well, the pyrotechnic wordplay anyway (s'okay Ian -I dont stalk! (except fish.))

Between Messers Brown & Tiso & Sacha & Danielle & Deborah & Jolisa & everyone, mainly, this place is a moving feast-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• stephen walker,

Couldn't we have achieved the desired cohesion in transport and infrastructure by simply giving the regional council the same powers bestowed on all other regional councils in the last shakeup?

yes, David, we probably could have. it seems to me that there have always been lots of people behind the scenes who have been desperate to prevent the regional council from getting any integrated governanvce framework to get transport/infrastrucutre done. Bruce Jesson gave the moneyed interests a huge shock, they seem determined to never have a repeat. and the ARC seems to consistently provide an evenly balanced or slightly green/left council. the chairperson is even elected by the councillors! such an affront to the power of ad money!

nagano • Since Nov 2006 • 646 posts Report Reply

• Joshua Arbury,

I reckon the Royal Commission's proposal could have effectively created that "empowered ARC" model that a lot of people seem pretty keen on.

The 6 local councils would have fought tooth and nail to hold onto as many current jobs as possible - and people would have probably supported that to some extent in their submissions. Perhaps only planning and transportation would have been transfered up to the Auckland Council with most other stuff being carried out by the still large, still empowered, local councils.

Of course the government hates the ARC. They run against its roads-fetish, its love of urban sprawl and its care for the environment. Hence the need to change the Auckland Council from the "beefed up ARC" that the Royal Commission would have created to an "enlarged Auckland City Council with community boards" that John Banks has wet dreams about leading.

Auckland • Since May 2009 • 237 posts Report Reply

• Christopher Dempsey,

Apparently John Key thinks a mandate is Rodney Hide having coffee with John Banks.

Starbucks, Gloria Jean's, or Instant?

None of the above. It was when Rodney helped Banksie put out cat food for the moggies of Vicky Ave.

Parnell / Tamaki-Auckland… • Since Sep 2008 • 659 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Joshua, have you seen the ARC's own submission to the Royal Commission? I heard it recommends one Council and 20 to 30 local boards, but I haven't gone and read it yet.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.