Island Life by David Slack

Read Post

Island Life: Big Little City, Big Little News Service

123 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• Tom Semmens,

I was kinda thinking of this... It how I imagine a Business Round Table discussion of the supercity going...

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report

• Emma Hart,

Good gods, Alexei Sayle in army uniform looks like my eldest brother. More therapy, coming up...

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report

• Don Christie,

I don't intend to take seriously in this or any other lifetime

Craig, maybe you should. Off topic I know, but the UK has just elected two fascist twerps to the EU parliament, and that is not an over blown description.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1645 posts Report

• Tom Semmens,

Though, to be fair, your timing -- days after the anniversary of the D-Day landings when quite a few people were killed by actual fascists who were anything but figures of fun -- is typically exquisite.

And I found just the website for you Craig!

http://www.dramabutton.com/

• Steve Barnes,

Or how about the Personal Soundtrack Shirt

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• Quo Vadis,

"if I wanted to call Hide a fascist, I would do so. Calling this frankly ludicrous man the 3.6% Mussolini hopefully both reminds people he has no mandate and envokes a Mel Brookes view of this buffoon."

Tom! Stunning! Wish I'd got there first, but yes...the posture, the self importance, the extremely small appendage. Rodney IS Benito reborn.
    I haven't been here for a while, but I see a few people here take themselves a tad seriously and don't like lil Rodders being flamed.
    Craig dude, put down that handle of vinegar and take a BREATH man!

nobby auckland • Since Jun 2009 • 10 posts Report

• George Darroch,

Craig is exactly right. The hysterical rush to compare Hide to early 20th Century European dictators is not only ridiculous, but detrimental to public discussion. It means that the serious things you need or want to say get buried behind debates over trivialities. and makes you look like idiots.

The right took quite a few years before they started making comparisons to Mao and Mugabe in public, but it only took the Greens six months. It's hardly something to be proud of.

Tom, Quo, you are the two who need to stop your sanctimonious posturing while spouting ridiculous comparisons.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report

• Kumara Republic,

I think the most appropriate term would be "plutoligarchy", but it's no bumper sticker slogan.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel,

Golden stream beyond dog leg cocked...?

"plutoligarchy"

But that's just what I see...

Oh for a Meritocracy...
    Just the Able and Talented - not the Worthy...
    Though there is much worth in an over-throw
    of the Kakistocracy as it stands!

I get an election just thinking about it...

yrs
    Lumpy Prole
    Grate Unwashed
    Bar n Grille

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report

• giovanni tiso,

Craig is exactly right. The hysterical rush to compare Hide to early 20th Century European dictators is not only ridiculous, but detrimental to public discussion.

I think I took issue with Tom's use of the F word some months ago, but as the token Italian on these boards can I just say that calling him the 3.6% Mussolini seems pretty harmless? Thus put it's almost a term of endearment, really. And there can't be a person who seriously thinks that Hide or Act have got anything whatsoever to do with actual Fascism. Right?

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• Tom Semmens,

Oh get over yourself already George D! I am not going to let your or anyone else tell me who i can and can't parody as a puffed up tin pot dictator. If Charlie Chaplin, it is good for me! Sanctimonious? Check the mirror buddy!

Oh yes Gio, i have felt bad about going a bit over the top that time.

Which still doesn't stop me being highly critical of Italy's slide back into the 1930's under Silvio Berlusconi.

• giovanni tiso,

Oh yes Gio, i have felt bad about going a bit over the top that time. Which still doesn't stop me being highly critical of Italy's slide back into the 1930's under Silvio Berlusconi.

Don't feel bad. Hey, it's not as if I don't think one should entertain that particular question.

• Kerry Weston,

the 3.6% Mussolini

tee hee.

Gee whiz, so they're not plotting to rob the money bin unless they're wearing those little black masks and shirts that read Beagle Boys?

Manawatu • Since Jan 2008 • 494 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

Tom:

The auditions for the Dixie Chick Drag Show are next door, but you're going to have to do a better of job of bitching about how your dissent is being crushed in forms invisible to the naked eye. Hey, if Russell is going to tolerate you taking a dump on the carpet it's his house. But don't be to precious when someone asks WTF the stink is.

My God, and you're comparing yourself to Charlie Chaplin now who was satirising the Nuremberg Laws? (Google it, Tom.) Damn, does your ego attract excess luggage charges?

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Tom Semmens,

Don't worry Craig, I am not going to answer, I am just going to humour you like everyone else does now.

• Joe Wylie,

Gee whiz, so they're not plotting to rob the money bin unless they're wearing those little black masks and shirts that read Beagle Boys?

Proud Scum shirts.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Rich of Observationz,

Though, to be fair, your timing -- days after the anniversary of the D-Day landings when quite a few people were killed by actual fascists

Hey, I could write a little program where you type in a date and it comes up with a suitable WW2 anniversary.

April 12th: Only weeks after the anniversary of the Norwegian Campaign, when quite a few people were killed by actual fascists

March 22nd: Only weeks after the anniversary of the Dresden bombings, when a few actual fascists were killed by people

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report

• giovanni tiso,

Genius

• Quo Vadis,

First Craig now a Herr Darroch of the supposedly "Lucky" country. Strewth. The right wing apologists do seem to have a lot of time on their hands these days don't they? Would have thought, George, that you'd be busy packing your mansion for the trip back to Godzone (I'm assuming you came from here) ready to make the most of the Nat/Act bulldozer tenders about to be issued, and too busy to trawl PA.
    Craig on the other hand just seems to need a day job or some quiet time in the naughty corner.
    Oh, and as for the F word, when the Minister of Police can tell the Mayor of one of the districts about to be absorbed into "Grater Auckland" that he's starting to "f*%king piss me off" and threaten to "fix" him, I think the F word has lost its sting somewhat, don;t you guys?
    Was a tad surprised that a Minister of the Crown in the National Cluster Govt would be so bereft of vocab - so maybe that excuses our using the same terms?

nobby auckland • Since Jun 2009 • 10 posts Report

• Jake Pollock,

Umm, George Darroch is a Green Party activist.

Raumati South • Since Nov 2006 • 489 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

Quo Vadis:

I have several day jobs, but aren't interested in etiquette lectures from people who draw their nom de plume from banal 19th century Polish novelettes that get turned into even worse 50's sword and sandal epics.

Go troll another bridge, dariling.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• giovanni tiso,

I have several day jobs, but aren't interested in etiquette lectures from people who draw their nom de plume from banal 19th century Polish novelettes that get turned into even worse 50's sword and sandal epics.

Also the source of the following primary school joke.

"Where are you going?"
    "To the cinema."
    "To see what?"
    "Quo Vadis."
    "What does it mean?"
    "Where are you going?"
    "To the cinema."
    "To see what?"
    "Quo Vadis."
    "What does it mean?" (and so on and so forth - you could kill a solid hour of class time like that)

• Sofie Bribiesca,

"Where are you going?"
    "To the cinema."
    "To see what?"
    "Quo Vadis."
    "What does it mean?" (and so on and so forth - you could kill a solid hour of class time like that)

:) Another class time hour...
    That's life.
    What's life?
    American magazine.
    How much?
    That's tough.
    That's life.
    What's life?....(and so on)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• giovanni tiso,

Hah! Nice.

• Geoff Lealand,

in the cause of dredging up memories of childhood many decades gone:

"Ask you mother for sixpence
    To see the tall giraffe
    With dimples
    On its hind legs
    And
    Pimples on its...

[a slurred] Ask your mother..."

Oh, they were such merry and daring days!

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.