Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Chaos in Kingsland

209 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 9 Newer→ Last

• Rich Lock,

where he hid Hoffa's body.

Everyone knows where that is, it's in Shergar's stable. Right next to Lord Lucan.

In Area 51. With Elvis as the stableboy.

And they all go sailing on the Marie Celeste at weekends.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Mike Graham,

where he hid Hoffa's body.

Everyone knows where that is, it's in Shergar's stable. Right next to Lord Lucan.

In Area 51. With Elvis as the stableboy.

And they all go sailing on the Marie Celeste at weekends.

In the Bermuda triangle

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 206 posts Report Reply

• 81stcolumn,

But I didn't shoot the textes ?

Nawthshaw • Since Nov 2006 • 790 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Have you guys been reading the Kelvinator comments?:)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Luke Williamson,

That one Trademe listing is better than any NZ comedy I've seen on TV - probably ever. Someone sign him/her!

Warkworth • Since Oct 2007 • 297 posts Report Reply

• Bruce Thorpe,

Okay we have the tape the jury heard. Right.

We have the "new" transcript the court did not allow.Right.

FFS is there an opportunity to hear the tape without exclusions?

Hokianga • Since May 2007 • 52 posts Report Reply

• Steve Parks,

That one Trademe listing is better than any NZ comedy I've seen on TV - probably ever. Someone sign him/her!

Seconded.

The Q & A is funny too...

Q: lmao,legend!! :)

A: I'm glad you thought it was funny, I nearly died man.

Wellington • Since May 2007 • 1165 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

I would bet my last dollar on Mike, the Scary Washing Machine man being a PAS reader/writer.
    Well any dollar really cos how would I know it was my last one?

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Glenn Pearce,

I shot the prick

It was actually Cullen you could hear in the background while Bain was making the 111 call.

Auckland • Since Feb 2007 • 504 posts Report Reply

• Steve Parks,

It's interesting how a crappy washing machine going for a reserve of a dollar looks like selling for about $200 just because the notice was funny.

I mean, I got all the humor out of the ad and I didn't pay a thing. (Well, unless I lose a dollar to Steve B.)

Wellington • Since May 2007 • 1165 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

I note that David Farrar didn't manage much of a live blog:
    http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2009/06/mt_albert_backbenches.html</quote>

Um, yes... I'm glad you all had a good time, but (partner) David and I decided it wasn't worth recording -- couldn't hear shit.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• oga,

What I don't understand is why the Crown/Defense never posited the possibility that Robin killed the family, David came home from his newspaper round, and found Robin in the lounge, struggled with him, took the rifle and killed Robin.

There's motive, this explains a lot of things, like why David didn't call the cops straight away, the prints on the washing machine, the suspicions of the cops, etc.

There's also a plausible defense of extreme provocation. What person would not freak out if they came home and found their family dead or dying and their asshole father in the lounge?

I couldn't understand why this option was never presented to the jury. It was always David OR Robin. This pissed me off throughout the trials, and more so in the recent trial because it was so OBVIOUS.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 47 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

oga- there is *NO* evidence of a 'struggle for the rifle' at all.

An aging man had a full bladder, NO evidence of any struggles (and 14yrold Stephen fought very hard for his life0 and - an implausible scenario for a suicide in the view of 2 experts.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Brickley Paiste,

From my (very) quick read, that's another plurality of opinion from our highest court.

Elias CJ, Blanchard and Wilson JJ say that the evidence fails to meet the low threshold of relevance because it cannot reasonably tend to prove or disprove whether or not there was an admission.

McGrath and Gault JJ (when did Gault J come back?) say that the evidence is relevant but its probative value is outweighed because it is unreasonably prejudicial.

There is a lot to chew on in there and I haven't read the HC or CA decisions.

How can something that might be an admission not be relevant? When it might not reasonably be anything?

Since Mar 2009 • 164 posts Report Reply

• Logan O'Callahan,

It's interesting how a crappy washing machine going for a reserve of a dollar looks like selling for about $200 just because the notice was funny.

I mean, I got all the humor out of the ad and I didn't pay a thing. (Well, unless I lose a dollar to Steve B.)

And generate $1000 for charity.

Since Apr 2008 • 70 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

I wanna know what kid did the dinosaur drawings - they were great!

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Richard Wain,

What I don't understand is why the Crown/Defense never posited the possibility that Robin killed the family, David came home from his newspaper round, and found Robin in the lounge, struggled with him, took the rifle and killed Robin.

Shhh, don't make things complicated.

And he said "I killed the prick" anyways.

What are you all, deaf?

Since Nov 2006 • 155 posts Report Reply

• Tony Kennedy,

Also, the Auckland crowd was way groovier than the Wellington one.

Russell having a Tui moment !

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 225 posts Report Reply

• mark taslov,

The guy has been found not guilty. He's probably gonna be looking for a job and missus. With all this 'new' stuff coming out it seems as good a time as any to give him name supression.

Te Ika-a-Māui • Since Mar 2008 • 2281 posts Report Reply

• Simon Johnson,

You would rather have Judy Turner in Parliament than Peter Dunne.

I would rather have a garden gnome in Parliament than Peter Dunne.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 4 posts Report Reply

• Joshua Arbury,

Would you notice the difference though Simon?

Auckland • Since May 2009 • 237 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

The Gnome Party has a certain ring to it. Candidates at least as eloquent as some we've seen recently, and far less likely to get into trouble.

Bit laissez faire on the whole but that should position them comfortably in what has become the centre.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Phil Lyth,

pareidolia

Word. Of. The. Year.

extra points to the man for knowing it and using correctly.

Wellington • Since Apr 2009 • 458 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Hill,

On the importance of expectations for hearing things (like 'I killed the prick') in a noisy context see this

Palmerston North • Since Mar 2008 • 25 posts Report Reply

• Stewart,

I found that all a bit weird last night watching/listening to it several times. Initially, having seen the supposed quote ("I shot the prick") I thought I could sort of make it out.

However, a few listenings later I was told that people who had studied it came down on the side of it starting "I can't..." and when I heard it subsequently it sounded much more like "I can't breathe".

So we can get from "I shot the prick" to "I can't breathe" just from a little bit of preconception of what I was going to hear. Now I don't hear the 'shot' version at all, just the 'can't breathe' one.

Te Ika A Maui - Whakatane… • Since Oct 2008 • 577 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 9 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.