OnPoint by Keith Ng

Read Post

OnPoint: What gorilla?

79 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• Just thinking,

Collins has answered that already. Cut 300 Police cars!

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report

• Brian Murphy,

There was a "Drivers of crime" conference recently which I believe came up with some ideas about that.

But having been at what was billed as a "Debate" between David Garrett and Kim Workman about the ACT 3 strikes policy, it seems the ACT view is that we have tried all of these liberal solutions to no success over the last 30 years.

The other side of this is of course that funding has only really been applied to prisons, with any rehabilitative efforts having to scratch together enough funding to keep going.

Seems to require different horsemen than we currently have on hand to get somewhere.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 48 posts Report

• Gareth Ward,

Sigh.

Putting aside the (highly valid and needed) discussions around WHY we have such a burgeoning prison population, the point about an immediate need for prison beds at efficient cost very much stands.
    And properly designed cells using containers on existing prison land does seem a valid possible response to that.

But why do we have a Government that refuses to engage in normal, adult discussion about it? Do we have to be spun EVERYTHING?

Auckland, NZ • Since Mar 2007 • 1727 posts Report

• Kyle Matthews,

Keith Ng: Asking the actual questions so that other media don't have to.

No wait, something's backwards about that...

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• Steve Barnes,

So how can they save so much money? They can't. The $643,000 vs $380,000 figures are rigged.

Thank you Keith. This was what I was writing about yesterday, although in a roundabout way.
    As soon as you hear this govt. claiming to save money you have to ask "who ends up with the "saved" money" you can bet on the fact that it won't be anything to the advantage of those in need.

I did see the moon walking bear but yesterday I was looking for the sly dog in the room. Thanks again for pointing it out.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• George Darroch,

I spent part of yesterday lying in a hospital bed listening to Danny Watson and a chorus of morons on Newstalk ZB work themselves into a frenzy

It's easy to dismiss talkback radio as the insane ravings of hyped morons. Which it is.

But what really, really, irks me about the New Zealand media is the number who've worked in talkback who now write columns or present television shows. There should some rule that talkback radio disqualifies you from having another job in media, ever. That might cut out a couple of good people, but it would save us from plenty of morons.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report

• James Green,

My folks have some converted shipping containers, and apart from the obvious Laura Norder issues, it does seem like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

They need a lot of painting, and having usually been at sea, corrosion is quite an issue. Also, for living purposes, the main advantage of the containers is to use the former refrigerated ones, which are lined with polystyrene and then an aluminium(?) shell. The shell aint very sturdy, and I think to make the lining prison grade would probably mean replacing it, removing most of the supposed advantage.

Limerick, Ireland • Since Nov 2006 • 703 posts Report

• Paul Campbell,

BTW I do like the idea of giving welding gear to all the people in jail, I'm sure they'll make good use of it .....

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report

• Keith Ng,

Okay, I'm not looking for those people to make important decisions, lead the country, etc. But shouldn't the Prime Minister be able to understand it?

To be fair, it wasn't a direct quote, and I suspect that it might have been NZPA that screwed it up.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 543 posts Report

• Sylvie Zlami,

So this talk about expensive, or affordable (depending on your point of view), prisons, shipping containers and what not .... Isn't that just the noise the machine makes when it's warming up, just before the privatisation?
    It is a rather lucrative business sector, after all. one of the few sectors that continue to experience growth ...

auckland • Since Dec 2007 • 31 posts Report

• Danielle,

It's easy to dismiss talkback radio as the insane ravings of hyped morons. Which it is.

On Saturday, I watched the unjustly buried Mike Judge satire from a couple of years ago, Idiocracy . It was pretty scathing stuff. I like to think that we aren't getting stupider, and that 'things were ever thus'. But sometimes I wonder.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report

• Dinah Dunavan,

There should some rule that talkback radio disqualifies you from having another job in media

Or being a (super) mayor.

Dunedin • Since Jun 2008 • 186 posts Report

• George Darroch,

The pity is that talkback isn't an inherently bad medium. It just needs better moderators.

I'm told that in the late-1970s through early 1980s it was actually useful. Most politicians stopped taking it seriously as a representation of broad public opinion in the 1990s.

• Dinah Dunavan,

We built our first country residence out of a shipping container. It has a ranch slider, pot belly stove with wet back, and window. We also added a removeable separate roof. Apart from the lack of insulation it was a very good basic place to stay while the main house was built. The separate roof means that the rusty roof is likely to last longer than otherwise and can be removed when we move the container. The main advantage is that when we go away the whole place can be locked up pretty damn securely. (The window has its own steel cover and bars.)
    I think it makes a perfect kiwi crib.

Dunedin • Since Jun 2008 • 186 posts Report

• Rich Lock,

So this talk about expensive, or affordable (depending on your point of view), prisons, shipping containers and what not .... Isn't that just the noise the machine makes when it's warming up, just before the privatisation?
    It is a rather lucrative business sector, after all. one of the few sectors that continue to experience growth ...

The machine is making rather more explicit noises about privatisation.....

But....is this a good thing?

Lets ask Your Views!

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

I'm told that in the late-1970s through early 1980s it was actually useful.

It was, but people like Gordon Dryden brought a very different philosophy to the radio than most of today's hosts.

I frequently quote him, in the context of explaining Public Address, on what he used to tell his callers in the 70s:

"Don't give me your opinion. Give me your experience."

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Kumara Republic,

I'm told that in the late-1970s through early 1980s it was actually useful. Most politicians stopped taking it seriously as a representation of broad public opinion in the 1990s.

Any coincidence between the above and the ascendancy of Big Media Inc?

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• nz native,

It seems to have been a bit of an oversight not to have invited prison industry representatives to the 'job summit' ............. it IS the boom industry in the country at the moment.

...... as an aside I've been sitting on the information since the time of the napier police killing and siege but around the same time there was a murder in the Hutt valley. The news of the Hutt valley murder was buried under the news blitz of the Napier drama.

But in the Hutt valley killing where two defendants have been arrested 1 of them was wearing a home detention ankle bracelet.

The other defendant was on a curfew.

Both were breaching their sentences/conditions at the time of the killing and the chap with the bracelet had breached before.

I expect when the media gets on to the first person committing a murder while wearing a home detention ankle bracelet it will cause a bit of a shit storm ................. especially when it becomes known he had breached before and not been recalled to jail.

A lot of breaches’ of bail do not result in jail.

Expect that to change.

Since May 2007 • 60 posts Report

• Keith Ng,

McVicar: Containers – Our Soldiers Would Love Them, even though tents are probably easier to carry.

I see my plan of preemptively out-McVicaring McVicar is working. My McVicar is heaps more McVicar than his McVicar.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 543 posts Report

• George Darroch,

Wouldn't caves be cheaper? There's got to be a use for that tunnel boring machine once it's finished with Mt Albert.

• Joe Wylie,

"Don't give me your opinion. Give me your experience."

Excellent. As someone whose identity now eludes me once said, there are few things more useless than an opinion. Experience, on the other hand . . .

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel,

Meanwhile back at the McVicarage...
    "I cannot contain myself..." ejaculated Mick the Vicar,
    "I think the purple velvet restraints suit you best!"
    purred and preened the actress...

Speaking of restraining and constraining:
    Containers are for Shipping Goods !
    ergo Sewers are for Kipping Bads...

...So let's just stack a whole bunch of
    these on each other... voila - Hokey Pokey!
    - much like those Japanese City automat hotels
    - drainage meets Neuromancer -age
    (time off for good beehiviour maybe)

Solves a lot of the container problems,
    sollid construction, no rust...

Other interesting shelter ideas here

Yrs
    Lee Cor Bustier
    ""The house is a machine for living in."

PS Joe W - can you email me - my hard drive
    died and I have lost all my emails, contacts and
    other data and about 5 months worth of work ...
    ...sob ...sigh
    - I must back up
    - I must back up...
    - tsumi, tsumi
    - digital tsunami...
    8- (

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report

• Joe Wylie,

- my hard drive
    died and I have lost all my emails, contacts and
    other data and about 5 months worth of work ...
    ...sob ...sigh
    - I must back up
    - I must back up...
    - tsumi, tsumi
    - digital tsunami...

O shit.
    Will email you as soon as I'm done backing up.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• George Darroch,

Back up your thesis too. I haven't lost mine, but I lost my bibliography, which was a major blow.

• James Green,

Back up your thesis too.

Don't just back it up. Leave a copy in another town.

Allegedly true story of a guy one of my lecturers knew. Physics PhD in early 80s working with lasers in prefab building. All but finished PhD, laser malfunctioned and burnt the building down...

Limerick, Ireland • Since Nov 2006 • 703 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.