Speaker by Various Artists

Read Post

Speaker: About That Telescope

128 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• Heather W.,

the David Slack tales are usually more plausible than this.
    Que?

I think you and Haywood are competing for branding mindshare in the David space.

Name Fail. Sorry David. Thanks Stephen.
    Must remember - name check, fact check and preview.

North Shore • Since Nov 2008 • 189 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

Although, to be fair: David, David, Damian, Graham and Graeme, come on... it seems designed to trip you up.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

And what's the bet they all look the same too?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• George Darroch,

I wouldn't say it enraged me as such, I'm just a bit baffled that anybody would find it interesting on any level(*), other than for how it speaks to the infuriating insularity of New Zealand journalism. In your line of work, do you ever feel like grabbing one of these editors and chief reporters by the collar and begging them to concentrate on sucking a little less, instead of worrying about this bullshit?

Since I respect Russell's forum, I'm not going to say what I think. It isn't pretty.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Some more fodder for your disapproval, you miserable buggers ;-)

A former assistant editor at the Herald on Sunday has denied rumours he was involved in a multimillion-dollar drug ring from Paremoremo Prison and selling P in the newspaper's toilets.

Employment Relations Authority member Rosemary Monaghan is hearing Stephen Cook's claim that he was unjustifiably dismissed by the Herald on Sunday towards the end of last year.

Herald on Sunday editor Shayne Currie told Ms Monaghan the events which led to Cook's dismissal began when police came to the newspaper's office on September 5 last year.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

Oh, I like this bit:

Currie told the authority he regarded Cook as a friend. "I gave him a huge amount of personal loans for which I've been left out of pocket." Other members of the newsroom had done the same.

Who are these people?

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Tom Semmens,

Hmmmm.

My recent first hand experience of helping a friend deal with the fall out of what constitutes journalistic "ethics" from the HoS (it seems it is ethical at the HoS to be a cynical low-life liar that exploits someone for maximum sensationalist headline value) probably means most people hold the media in utter contempt, and don't feel inclined to give these puffed up self-appointed gatekeepers one iota of the benefit of the doubt when a little bit of the half true manipulative shit they serve up splatters them on the lapel for a change.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie,

Who are these people?

Does it matter? They can get as ripped as chooks and attempt all manner of hijinks, all the while protesting their admiaration/contempt/whatever for one another's professional standards, but they'll never be Alan Bollard.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Currie told the authority he regarded Cook as a friend.

Well we are going to sort the likes of all the pushers out, so no need to worry.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Hmm,
    Two paragraphs from the same paper on the same subject

* Introduces a policy-only examination order power, where people believed to have information about offending can be made to answer questions.

* Introduction of "examination order" power, where people believed to have material information about offending can be forced to answer questions.

Made or Forced, whatever. Either is still against the Geneva convention, which sadly, does not apply unless you are actually at war.
    Rather a Nanny State than a Big Brother State anyday.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

And while I;m here.
    Nick Smiff on changes to ACC regarding the age and safety of vehicles.

"If there's a greater risk associated with it then that's just what goes with it. People are making choices every day as to the risks they choose to take and if they choose to be in an older, less safe car, then is it fair that the rest of the community meets the cost of that risk?"

I like the choice bit. Like you can choose whether to pay the extra $160 a year or just spend an extra $10-20,000 on a later model car.
    And what of the big late model Merc driven by that blue rinsed old hag from Parnell smashing into your reliable old Starlet, you gotta pay for that?.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

So, how do you force one to answer questions? lets see, they can be charged ,so that becomes another court case tying up more courts. If you go to jail for refusal to answer because you might be more scared of the one you are "answering questions about than the police,(remembering you can now be detained without reason and tasered) you may as well write narc on your tshirt as it will become another ordeal inside as it is nigh on impossible to prove you haven't. So bang up a few more innocent people. Of course we can use containers, there is going to be plenty of safe innocent people inside who can help build them. How's it go? It's a win win situation. my arse. :(

• Steve Barnes,

Back again, this bit rankles me.

then is it fair that the rest of the community meets the cost of that risk?"

Yes Smiffy, To each acording to their needs, from each according to their ability.
    You know, principles. Remember principles? you know, those things that go with civilised society, those things that stop uis sliding back into the mire that is the law of the jungle not your "one ring (peice) to rule them all" philosophy, your Calvinistic "God gave me the ability to treat you like shit and I must follow my god" bollocks.
    </rant>

• Sacha,

splatters them on the lapel for a change

Such compelling expression and passionate argument. The spirit of Ranapia blesses this thread. He has taught us all well.

Journalists are truly regarded up there with car delaers, it seems.

• Russell Brown,

Does it matter? They can get as ripped as chooks and attempt all manner of hijinks, all the while protesting their admiaration/contempt/whatever for one another's professional standards, but they'll never be Alan Bollard.

Quite. Bollard would've wasted those amateurs.

• Emma Hart,

Quite. Bollard would've wasted those amateurs.

Hey! Who hid this from me?

The spectators are willowy bisexual women, who wear dresses made of gauzy material; and when the arc-lights are behind them you can see right through their clothing, to their skimpy underwear, and their lithe bisexual bodies.

I don't think Peter Dunne really wrote that.

I'd feel guiltier, but I happen to know that Haywood is on a plane to California, the prick.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Tom Semmens,

Sacha: I am recovering from a quick bout of teh Norovius, so such an analogy sprung easily to my keyboard.

What a horrible thing, although quite useful if you are looking at dropping a cheeky 6kg.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• Brickley Paiste,

The case is going to resume on Monday morning at 10am. Cook has to lead evidence on damages and humiliation which wasn't provided to APN or the Authority yet -- the Authority member described this as "unacceptable" and "pretty basic stuff". Should be interesting, especially if there is a challenge.

What hasn't turned up in the press is that, from what I heard in the Authority, and correct me if I'm wrong, but under Cook's contract he could only be suspended on pay if there was a suspicion of serious misconduct. There was some discussion as to whether he was suspended for that OR because he refused to hand over his notes. If it was the latter, I'll be interested to hear how a refusal to hand over notes amounts to a suspicion of serious misconduct.

If the suspension has been tainted then the dismissal might be the fruit of the proverbial poisonous tree. It sounds as if he is basically running a pre-determination argument and if the suspension is poo then that won't help the company.

Of course, none of this ended up being reported because all this is a pissing contest between old mates. I have big balls! No, I have big balls! I have the biggest balls! Behold my testicular package!

I agree with Paul and Giovanni.

Will anyone show up for the rest of the investigation? Will anyone read the determination?

Since Mar 2009 • 164 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

quite useful if you are looking at dropping a cheeky 6kg

I may need to become infected several times in succession. :)

• Russell Brown,

Of course, none of this ended up being reported because all this is a pissing contest between old mates.

I was wondering what material matters might have been discussed in front of the Authority ... thanks for the report. Will you be there next week?

• Brickley Paiste,

I was wondering what material matters might have been discussed in front of the Authority ... thanks for the report. Will you be there next week?

Yeah, I'll try to go if I can make it over that far. Counsel for Cook said he might send a junior. We'll see who shows.

Russell, do you have idea why Christopher Harder was there? That added a certain flavour to the mix. He wasn't sitting as an advocate but did caucus with one of APN's witnesses quite briefly.

In any case, from everything I heard, the legal safety of the contractual suspension could be a major issue and would speak to the substantive justification of the dismissal and whether or not it was what a fair and reasonable employer would have done in all the circumstances. The procedural tail waving the substantive dog, as they say.

Since Mar 2009 • 164 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Meh... at least the Brits could throw up really hardcore hacks who, despite being perma-pissed (on expenses naturally), had no level of decadence and depravity they wouldn't sink you to get a story of dubious veracity while creatively cluster fucking the opposition. This is just lame. :)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Such compelling expression and passionate argument. The spirit of Ranapia blesses this thread. He has taught us all well.

Heh... Yes, well learned you have, my little padiwan learners. Now sod off, nine hundred year old half-arse you be, cranky you get.

But seriously, can I really must much bile about a third rate hack who's all pissed off about being sacked from a fourth-rate tabloid? Nah...

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

no level of decadence and depravity they wouldn't sink you to get a story of dubious veracity while creatively cluster fucking the opposition. This is just lame. :)

According to the Star-Times Cook's original brief described the telescope jape as "the most incredible example of industrial espionage ever seen in the newspaper industry in this country".

You're right. Is this really the best we can do?

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Christopher Harder was there?

Always good with the rat squad if it's about drugs.He can be as bad as they are.Jus' sayin'

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.