Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Food and drink

417 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 17 Newer→ Last

• Russell Brown,

Well I know the problem. I don't know the solution, though. Best I can do is just try to learn to have a good time in a bar without being drunk, and hope others learn from the example. The best trick I've found so far is to just start talking.

I found a great solution: Matt Bowden's briefly-legal Ease tablets (aka methylone). A couple of times, I spent an hour with friends conversing over a single drink. I really enjoyed the conversation and the wine. But they banned that.

I hasten to add that on neither occasion did I drive home on Ease.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

And I'm sorry for sounding like a broken record here, but how about we try enforcing the laws we already have, and retire the wet bus ticket then actually bother prosecuting bar staff and licensees who blatantly flout it?

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

A butcher that sells dhal and lollies? Mad!

Oh, he sells all manner of things. The one thing I don't buy at The Mad Butcher is the meat. Iz not so grate.

• Steve Parks,

You may know it as 'sparrow's fart'.

Was that the name of Simon's nightclub?

Wellington • Since May 2007 • 1165 posts Report

• Paul Campbell,

The iPhone issue is interesting - I know a couple of people writing iPhone apps in the US for pocket money and I'm looking at pushing out a couple of Android ones myself.

I think a lot of the problem is perceived value and actual pricing - I can knock out a useful but trivial app in a week or two of evenings and sell it for 50c - if 50k people buy it that's not to be sneezed at - but it's not a business, or even really a living - it's good pocket money though - the problem is that apps that take person-years to write, things with real depth, need to sell at appropriate prices ($5-10) - but they're competing for mindshare with my (useful) piece of fluff

Where someone might not think twice about spending 50c - $10 requires actual thought and the apple app store (or google market) may not be the place for that - which is why we need open phones

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report

• Steve Parks,

You mean the one way entry thing? Can't see it doing any harm, but if it's a one way entry to a bar where the definition of 'intoxicated' is 'too pished to find you wallet', it's not going to do any good either.

Yeah that's what I meant. I don't really like the idea myself. But it might work in practice as a compromise in that it may avoid the problem mentioned here already: if you just close everything at a specific time everyone hits the streets at the same time. So maybe cut the bar-hopping earlier but let everyone wind up (or wind down) at their own pace otherwise.

Wellington • Since May 2007 • 1165 posts Report

• giovanni tiso,

The iPhone issue is interesting - I know a couple of people writing iPhone apps in the US for pocket money and I'm looking at pushing out a couple of Android ones myself.

Even I might be able to design apps for the latest model.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• Simon Grigg,

Gym must be the barman

Actually I was involved with a club night in South London years back called exactly that, but Gym was one of the DJs

What do you think of the suggested policy whereby people can't go to a new bar after 2 am (or 3 as I believe they are trying in Chch) but the bar can remain open.

The problem is not the club travellers or marauders, it's people who get drunk. There are laws in place right now which say a)you cannot serve drunks and b) you cannot allow drunk people into a licensed premise. The issue is that both are being flaunted. From my experience the overwhelming bulk of people in a club at 4am or so simply are not drinking that much, they're there for the social activity, the dancing, the talk and the music. If you've pushed the limit drink wise any responsible venue will have long since ceased to serve you and sent you home.

Club life comes alive in Auckland around 3 or 4, and largely it's peaceful and very non-aggro. The problems are not with the places serving the drinks at 4am or 5am, but with the drunks on the streets, the kids and the afterwork stragglers who are not in the places that are acting responsibly

So what do I think of it? It's a non-starter to solving a much bigger problem.

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

The CactusLab guys have been doing pretty well with a few apps, including a mobile image upload app. But I can see that the commitment of developing a high-end game doesn't mesh with the way the App Store is working.

So ...

which is why we need open phones

Yes. OTOH, it's been the App Store, a controlled environment, that has made mobile applications fly.

Also, I suspect hardware-that-comes-with-content is going to be a big deal. TVs with their own YouTube application (and on-demand movies) are going to be big.

The funny thing is that none of the emerging YouTube-enabled devices seems to use the Google/YouTube CDN. Their applications (VieraCast in Panasonic's case) pull data from a US server. I can't work out why Google isn't more onto this.

• Simon Grigg,

RT:

And I'm sorry for sounding like a broken record here, but how about we try enforcing the laws we already have, and retire the wet bus ticket then actually bother prosecuting bar staff and licensees who blatantly flout it?

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report

• Rich Lock,

I really enjoy conversation and wine. But they banned that.

Pt Chev is really getting repressionist these days...

It's a Trap[pist]! Get us out of here!

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I like to cook, but sometimes I don't have the time or energy, so good-quality convenience foods do interest me. A good dahl that I can pop in the microwave for lunch suits me well.

Sandringhamstan. $4.00 fresh each day on the counter. Serves 2. Generally 2 different types or one can get The boxed ones of which there are plenty.Also fresh daily on the counter,is hot spicy parathas($2.50) and other such and fresh samosas.Yumyumyum.I'll get extra stuff of which can be frozen for those days I cant be bothered .All microwaveable.First shop entering Sandringham after Halal butchers on the left.Khyber spices.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Islander,

Bugger.
    That's just in Auckland isnt it Sofie?

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

but you tend to think it might be easier next time to let Lisa do it for you.

Ok, same shop as the dahl, chick pea flour, falafel mix and water and wait 10 mins then ball and cook.Tis pretty simple, and lots cheap.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Hi Islander, I will get proper postal address as he told me he will send and I think it could be possible or you could get me to do that for you:)The fresh dahl may be a bit tricky but plenty of boxed ones although not as good as the fresh. It is a fine shop of which their biggie is in Stoddard Rd Mt Roskill, I will investigate.

• Paul Campbell,

Giovanni said:

Even I might be able to design apps for the latest model.

Don't hold your breath - that model is vaporware ....

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report

• Barbara,

Sofie - also in Sandringham, Taste of Fiji has Fish Roti Rolls for $2.50. Really good cheap convenience food.

Cedars on Dominion Rd has very nice Lebanese take away food, and their flat bread is very good value.

Sandringham • Since Mar 2008 • 33 posts Report

• Barbara,

@ Sofie
    I think Khyber - which was Khyber Spice Invaders, is now called Shubh. Their Eggplant Curry is the best, but it's not often available. I'd send that to Islander when it is there. I think they're going to expand into the empty Real Estate place. A much better use for retail space.

Sandringham • Since Mar 2008 • 33 posts Report

• Islander,

O really cool, Sofie! - Barbara!
    I miss those kind of foods-
    repayment in kind and/or$$$-

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Cedars on Dominion Rd has very nice Lebanese take away food, and their flat bread is very good value.

yeah, do all of that. Khyber sell all the roti and falafels from Cedars also but falafels are 75c and only 50c at Cedars and I get feta,olives,and many other groceries from Sandringham but you are right, aint Cedars da bom. I do 1Kg of Baklava (??) as desserts for coffee at my own or others dinner parties.All their food is beautiful.I am sure I have raved about this before.And yeah, I noticed that name the other day which was why I said I'd investigate. thanks :)

• Islander,

bhaklava...drooool

The only place I can get it is at is In Ashburton, on my trips south, and that's at
    2.50 for a tiny triangle...

• Islander,

"In Ashburton" - not a capital for the I - it's the souvlaki place next to the Subway place, heading north-

• Sofie Bribiesca,

bhaklava...drooool

So the list grows eh? I'll get my people to talk to your people :)

• Lucy Stewart,

The other thing in that category is samosa. There's a palaver for you.

I used to make samosas from scratch (shell included), but I need a sparkling clean kitchen and about two hours straight, both commodities in short supply these days. Plus they used about a week's supply of oil. But man, they were tasty.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report

• Brickley Paiste,

Brickley, that's bullshit. It's a show for food products, but there are also cooking classes throughout, and it is certainly not all corporate. One of the things I really enjoy is the chance to talk to people about their own products. People like Noel, and the Gringo Killer lady, who run their own stalls, or the people from the wineries.

You're right. No corporate interests there to speak of.

And what does a cooking class have to do with it? Those are the weirdest things ever.

Read this.

Read Pollan. His arguments are highly persuasive.

By and large it is just a corporate jamboree. Ask those small artisans if the show is really worth their while and then ask the corporate union busting monsters at Progressives what they think. Record profits this year for them, I hear.

If you can cook dahl in 10 minutes, good luck to you. I've never managed it before. But for goodness sake, I'm talking about a reasonably healthy lunch during the working day. I'm not about to down tools and start chopping onions and washing lentils.

Working day? I bring homemade sandwiches and fruit to work. Anything prepared from home is from scratch and didn't take long to make. Down tools? Chopping onions? What are you on about?

And if microwaves are so evil, tip it out and heat it in a pot. You're not making the dhal in the microwave.

I never said microwaves were evil. Au contraire. They're choice. Using one to cook porridge or dahl though is a culinary hate crime of the highest order.

More hyperbole! I'm sure you're the virtuous kind who makes absolutely every sauce and shaken seasoning from scratch every single time. I'm not -- although I usually grind whole spices with a mortar and pestle if I'm making a curry from scratch.

I also feel no guilt at all about cooking up some vegetables and free-range chicken in a pre-made curry sauce after a long day. (BTW, the Satya restaurant people had some nice dry masala mixes at the show.)

I wasn't being hyperbolic, Russell. I don't buy those sauces because they're filled with tasteless crap. And I'm not the virtuous one but the missus sure is and I get a contact high off her virtuosity.

Why you would bother buying a free range chicken (provided it is free range and not simply presented with some grass in which it shows no interest) and then cover it in chemical by-product is even more odd. Suit yourself, though.

Go on. Tell me you actually do this for your lunch every day.

No, I eat sandwiches and fruit for lunch.

I've found that the hummus you get at the supermarket is indistinguishable from the fresh made stuff and considerably cheaper unless you consume industrial quantities of the stuff, and so on.

Which brand? How much cheaper? Bought hummus tastes like bought hummus.

I am an excellent cook. (I really am. It's one of my few talents.) But anyone giving me shit for my Hubbards Golden Sunrise porridge sachets? Can bite me. Like I need to wake up 15 minutes earlier to add linseeds and slivered almonds to my rolled oats, and then leave a grotty pot waiting for me at the end of the day. More time in bed is my priority, so the sachets win. I imagine most people are able to decide for themselves where the tradeoff line is drawn without being told they're in thrall to the global food industry.

Soak the pot. Takes 20 seconds to clean at the end of the day. You wanna have bourgeois fluff fluff porridge then go ahead.

Oh dear, Brickley. Who done got up your arse? The food show is fantastic, in my VHO, because you get to see alot of smaller artisan outfits you may not normally. I discovered Aromatics and the St Andrew's Lime people amongst others. And then, what I did, when I was down in the Hawkes Bay one Xmas was to go around all the different places and came back with a car full of yummy yum yums. I love supporting NZ made products and that's what the food show is good for, for me. For you, maybe not so much.

What she said. After the gym at 6 in the morning, I come straight to work and have my porridge. I really don't want to be washing pots at work quite frankly.

I like supporting local products as well provided they are actually food. I was recently in the Hawke's Bay and did much the same.

No one likes washing pots. Food should be easy and cost free. We just use a pot once and then throw it away. Have you tried that?

OTOH, the Taste of India Dhal Soup (have I been misspelling that?) is $2.50 a can at the local Mad Butcher, and really rather nice.

I'll have to take your word for it.

Hummus ain't so bad -- but falafel ...

The sense of achievement is nice, but you tend to think it might be easier next time to let Lisa do it for you.

Make a dry hummus. Fry it in wee patties.

Since Mar 2009 • 164 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 17 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.