Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Deja Vu

239 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 6 7 8 9 10 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

And rather annoying to see Chris Carter moaning that this is all a media beat up. I think most people would accept that there are people who travel a lot -- the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader, Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Trade etc. -- but there's also more marginal cases. Anyone remember the Nat-Winston First Coalition, where quite a few eyebrows went up at Consumer Affairs Minister Robyn McDonald flying business class to Paris for a rather low-level (and highly technical) conference on e-commerce? She certainly didn't help herself by having nothing to say about the conference that couldn't have been read off a briefing note.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

He kind of hasn't got much choice, due to his current position. His argument for needing to be housed along with his family, in Wellington is reasonable. It's the trying to screw every loop hole thats pissed me off. It's not good leadership.

In a fit of whorish self-promotion, you might want to tune into Public Address Radio (Radio Live, Sunday @ 7pm) this week. I'm also seriously underwhelmed by English's use of the passive-aggressive voice, and wish my Nana was still around to lay out some tough love -- Mainland-born Catholic farmer's wife style. :)

• Russell Brown,

Anyone remember the Nat-Winston First Coalition, where quite a few eyebrows went up at Consumer Affairs Minister Robyn McDonald flying business class to Paris for a rather low-level (and highly technical) conference on e-commerce? She certainly didn't help herself by having nothing to say about the conference that couldn't have been read off a briefing note.

That was quite an episode: very junior minister barely has feet under desk before jetting off to conference of extremely dubious utility: although it did make a strategy footnote.

Turns out it would have been cheaper to wait for the book.

I sincerely don't think Carter is in the same category.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

I sincerely don't think Carter is in the same category.

Neither do I, but asking questions about ministerial travel isn't some media beat up either. It's also a little rich of Carter to bitch "Never let facts stand in the way of a good story, journalists!" on a party blog, when he won't front to make his case. Its certainly a rather novel definition of 'no comment'. :)

• Danielle,

Was anyone else hugely amused by the chap from Dipton they dredged up to interview on NatRad this morning? He was attempting to defend English but in the end came across as though he thought English, being a politician, was part of a sort of alien species who couldn't be expected to follow normal ethical rules. 'Well, I'm not saying that all politicians are corrupt... although the point could be argued...' Heh.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Tom Semmens,

That guy from Dipton was a complete waste of time. They might as well have interviewed someone from Dipton, Newcastle, England for all the insight we got.

And I was left with the uneasy feeling the whole rationale for the exercise was a sort of patronising "Oh... let's talk to a local hick and let the beltway snicker at his homely advice and Southland drawl".

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

when he won't front to make his case. Its certainly a rather novel definition of 'no comment'. :)

Carter is clearly keen to speak up, but perhaps that's what they were afraid of ...

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Carter is clearly keen to speak up, but perhaps that's what they were afraid of

Hum... perhaps you're right. But, once more, I've got to wonder who the hell is running the media shop for Labour nowadays? Whatever you think of Mike Munro, he was a consumate pro -- he'd either have locked Carter down completely ("no comment means no comment"), or charged up the taser and frog marched Carter up The Terrace with talking points in hand.

And I was left with the uneasy feeling the whole rationale for the exercise was a sort of patronising "Oh... let's talk to a local hick and let the beltway snicker at his homely advice and Southland drawl".

Oh dear, I'm agreeing with Tom again. :)

• Danielle,

So now I'm left agreeing with both Tom and Craig. I feel very uncomfortable in this place. :)

I think he managed to rise above that cheap rationale rather well, though. Yay, Dipton guy!

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Neither do I, but asking questions about ministerial travel isn't some media beat up either. It's also a little rich of Carter to bitch "Never let facts stand in the way of a good story, journalists!" on a party blog, when he won't front to make his case. Its certainly a rather novel definition of 'no comment'. :)

It is somewhat bizarre. Carter could argue that his blog post is about his ministerial expenses from last year, not the MP expenses that the media are braying about.

But he's clearly using the blog as a response to the attacks on his MP expenses, despite saying that he's not allowed to respond.

Is there a media minder currently being assigned to sit on Carter and prevent him from moving/talking/typing?

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Traditional Nact booster Fran O'Sullivan is unimpressed all-round with the behaviour of our MPs about their perks:

Labour's chief whip Darren Hughes is prosecuting the issue on his party's behalf without any sense of shame that the previous leadership of his party protected Field up to the point where questions were being asked about Clark's own motivations.

There is a public interest in inquiring further into whether the English family trust (despite Bill English's denials) did rearrange the ownership of assets so that the Finance Minister could make the maximum claim on the public purse for his and his family's Wellington accommodation.

So far, Key is not buying into Labour's push for more transparency in this area. But this stance - like with the previous fiasco surrounding allegations that former National Cabinet minister Richard Worth was prepared to trade positions for favours - is starting to wear thin.

The Cabinet has not shied away from depriving beneficiaries of their "entitlements" to taxpayer help towards tertiary education.

Unfortunately, Key, English - and Labour's own hierarchy - appear oblivious to the rank stench of hypocrisy.

Doesn't sound too honeymoonish anymore.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Oh bitch, [[http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10589753|you didn't go there]...

Labour MP Chris Carter believes he has received more attention over his travel costs and spousal travel because he is gay, implying the news media have a prurient interest in him.

"Why was there no interest in any other minister taking their partner with them, only me? Why should that be?" he said yesterday.

"The only conclusion that I can draw from that is it's because I'm gay, and that if I was a heterosexual minister taking my husband or wife with me, it would be of no interest."

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that someone needs to apply a ball gag to Miss Chrissie, and not as a prelude to adult fun ...

• Craig Ranapia,

Oh bitch, you didn't go there...

Labour MP Chris Carter believes he has received more attention over his travel costs and spousal travel because he is gay, implying the news media have a prurient interest in him.

"Why was there no interest in any other minister taking their partner with them, only me? Why should that be?" he said yesterday.

"The only conclusion that I can draw from that is it's because I'm gay, and that if I was a heterosexual minister taking my husband or wife with me, it would be of no interest."

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that someone needs to apply a ball gag to Miss Chrissie, and not as a prelude to adult fun ...

• mark taslov,

Te Ika-a-Māui • Since Mar 2008 • 2281 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 6 7 8 9 10 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.