Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Rockin' the Casbah?

171 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

• Simon Grigg,

I miss John Russell

Same. A great writer with a wicked sense of humour when the moment merited it (and irreverently, often when it didn't).

where are the women writers

Yes Donna, as mentioned, and from a couple of years before that, Louise Chunn who's gone on to some fairly stellar stuff in the UK.

Missing from the bloke list is Colin Hogg, who was a mighty, and mighty lucid, champion of the left field when at The Ak Star.

I kinda agree with Mark's sentiment on Sweetman..yes he can write, at least as well as many of the people who've put key to ribbon over the years at the likes of the NME (for every Charles Shaar Murray or Nick Kent there were 20 guys or gals we've largely forgotten) and I like the fact that regardless of the correctness of it all, he swings whichever his opinion leads. There were whoops of agreement nationwide when he swiped at Welly reggae-lite (I quite like FFD but find The Black Seeds indescribably slight), and NZ hip hop. Even if you don't agree with his opinions (he likes Jethro Tull?!?), at least he has them and they're strong.

Rock crit lit: such a boy thang.

Having worked in and owned music retail quite extensively over the years, buying music is about 75% a boy thang....sorry Danielle (exception / rule etc), it's always frustrated me but its depressingly true (and industry research repeatedly supports this). When I was retailing vinyl to DJs we had about 7 females who were buying rekid seriously vs. about 80 males.

Not that it's relevant to anything, but most people rarely play the second CD in a double CD set, or take the book out of the CD case..also true...

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

Not that it's relevant to anything, but most people rarely play the second CD in a double CD set, or take the book out of the CD case..also true...

I remember reading something a while ago which suggested the average number of albums a person owns is around 30 (this was pre-Napster). It's the sort of statistic that makes me despair for the fate of humanity. Only being allowed to own 30 albums would constitiute cruel and unusual punishment for me.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• st ephen,

Paul is self-conscious; John is self-indulgent

Cue Sir Paul:
    "Hang on! It were me that turned John onto self-indulgence in the first place!"

dunedin • Since Jul 2008 • 254 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

"Hang on! It were me that turned John onto self-indulgence in the first place!"

Snerk! :)

buying music is about 75% a boy thang....sorry Danielle (exception / rule etc)

Oh, you're totally right. I have spent many hours pondering why this is ('too much time on my hands', as those wise philosophers Styx once sang). It's probably for the same types of reasons why women are underrepresented in other fields or hobbies. Back in the day, a record shop of the 'right kind' could be hugely intimidating because there's a sort of 'expertise' you're supposed to have and some of the guy music nerds maintained an air of exclusivity, or were downright dismissive of your opinion (especially if you're short, perky, and you like a lot of things, including pop music. She says bitterly). It's much less so now, I think? I'm wondering if it's changing now because it's so easy to either a) get a lot of knowledge quickly by reading the right websites or b) not give a crap about 'the canon' because mp3s have democratised everything. A woman doesn't have to walk into a record shop and hope she says 'the right thing' to get good, informed service. Just download it and decide for yourself.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Simon Grigg,

A woman doesn't have to walk into a record shop and hope she says 'the right thing' to get good, informed service.

I don't think that is a particularly female thing. Arrogant sales staff who look down their nose at the customer have always been a record shop disincentive to enter, let alone purchase.

I was in a shop in Sydney, a rather hip little place in Pitt St called Phantom that I loved big time in the early 80s, when a woman came in and asked for a Barbra Streisand album. 'Fuck of and get some taste' sneered the 20 something behind the counter, and the other two and a few of the customers laughed. She left, likely never to enter a record shop again. I left and decided I could buy my obscure indie 7"s elsewhere and never returned.

Real Groovy in Auckland had a similar reputation but even in the malls, the Sounds stores were always full of snotty nosed kids who would look me up and down as I bought the $10 Byrds remaster from the table outside.

Then again, I'm always worried that the volume I have in my hand at Unity is not quite literati enough.

Danielle,
    Here's some Shatner payback for ya:

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

I left and decided I could buy my obscure indie 7"s elsewhere and never returned.

Hear hear. I value those who take each customer as they are and then apply their expertise about what might work. I'd rather support Beat Merchants and the like, though I'm not averse to opportunistic sales bin finds in malls either. Simon, one of the best I encountered was young NickD in your employ. Talent well spotted.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Simon Grigg,

NickD

I can't claim credit for Nick, he was suggested to us by Geoff Wright and he was, as you say, rather perfect as a sales person. I used to love sitting with him on a Saturday and watching him take such joy from recommending music to people. I'm on the receiving end of those pointers these days, and I get regular IMs and emails telling me to check out this and that, or uploaded ssshhhhh promos.

He's a wonder, that lad. One of my favourite people.

• Sacha,

Ae - and the joy came across. I'd rate "Making Tracks" as one of the most impressive uses of NZonAir funding ever. Can't think of anyone else who could pull it off.

Trivially, Geoff's dad used to be the caretaker at my high school. Talented family.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

I'm always worried that the volume I have in my hand at Unity is not quite literati enough.

Don't you be dissing the staff at Unity -- they are lovely, lovely people and I won't hear a word against them. Especially that Toby chap.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Simon Grigg,

Don't you be dissing the staff at Unity

heh, my comment was more about my own insecurities. I kinda like the mega bookstores of Asia as I can wander, look at the marginal books that might take my fancy and splurge on the odd bit of populist drivel every now and them without anyone raising an eye.

• Ian Dalziel,

Woman rock writers of Aotearoa ...
    Yay Donna Yuzwalk! (anyone wanna buy any old Shake! mags?)
    But let's not forget Vicki Anderson doing excellent work virtually singlehandedly on The Press's Friday Music section and helping beyond
    as a trustee of the CHART the local music
    support organisation.

I did one review for Rip It Up and got threats of violence from New Plymouth and Hamilton 'cos I panned the misogynist elements in Pink Floyd's The Wall movie...

yrs critically
    Lester Loud-Noises
    one-eyed common tater

PS: The Bats are on at The Dux (in Chch) tonight, Melbourne on Friday & Sydney on Saturday - enjoy!

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Duncan Greive,

Thanks for having me on last night Russell. Felt weird to be sitting alongside those I'd read/listened to so much growing up, but there you go. Just want to weigh in with my own NZ writers list, because, well, you don't get the chance too often.
    Have to agree with the nomination of John Russell, my first editor, and a guy whose broad tastes had a profound impact upon a whole generation of music geeks I know.
    Also Matt Hyland is, word-for-word, the best music writer I've read from this country. I've made a number of attempts to track him down and get him into RG, none successful.
    I did get Jon Bywater in for a few issues though, who I think is outrageously good when you get to read him (which isn't often enough.
    When I switched to RG from RIU (as a reader) in the late '90s I felt like I got a great education from Smithies, but also Troy Ferguson, Gavin Bertram (massively under-rated in my opinion), Gary Steel and Kerry Buchanan, who when in his pomp felt like our Lester Bangs.
    Agree with the nomination of Nick Bollinger, who I don't agree with too often, but argues prettily and persuasively regardless. Russell Brown (not an ass kiss, he wrote half the FN special issue I edited) and Paul McKessar's stuff in the '80s RIUs I've come across has been fantastic.
    Also, I don't care whether this sounds self-serving or not, but Stevie Kaye's reviews, particularly those of critically ignored artists like Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance, totally thrilled me.
    Am sure I'm missing out a bunch, but that's what I've got right now.

Since Aug 2009 • 7 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Yes Donna, as mentioned, and from a couple of years before that, Louise Chunn who's gone on to some fairly stellar stuff in the UK.

I did like the way Donna Yuzwalk had her own perspective and damn the torpedoes. And she could write. Where is she now?

I only met Louise Chunn briefly years later, and she was way cool. She holds the distinction of having edited the Guardian Women's section, making her the horror of every Old White Tory Male in Britain.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Have to agree with the nomination of John Russell, my first editor, and a guy whose broad tastes had a profound impact upon a whole generation of music geeks I know.

I think what John did really well - and you've done too -- is to recognise that music writing is largely about writers earning the trust of readers. There was a period between the pair of you when the bylines almost disappeared from view. That was wrong.

• Russell Brown,

at the likes of the NME (for every Charles Shaar Murray or Nick Kent there were 20 guys or gals we've largely forgotten)

Don't get me started. I worked for several British music mags and alongside the really good people there were a lot of public schoolboys all frothing over this week's ordained cool record.

There weren't many of them who'd ever helped their mate's band carry their gear out at the end of a show, that's for sure.

• Simon Grigg,

I only met Louise Chunn briefly years later, and she was way cool.

Yep, indeed. I knew Louise pretty well in the early 1980s (her now ex-hubby Dominic Free also wrote a bit too) and still get the odd email from her, the last about 8 months back. She was extraordinarily well connected for promos when I got to London in 83' (she'd edited Smash Hits for a spell amongst other things, and was at Elle then) and I used score all sorts of bits of vinyl off her. In fact from the moment she landed in London she was extraordinarily well connected full stop, and she wrote a nice puff piece about what a bunch of us were doing in London, for the Ak Star, which helped open a few doors when I returned.

As an aside, she made it into the tabloids of recent.

• Matthew Littlewood,

Gavin Bertram (massively under-rated in my opinion)

He's back in Dunedin, writing for D-Scene, I think. But yeah, I like(d) his reviews too- even if some of the metal he wrote about wasn't necessarily something I'd listen to, he always argued the case, for (or against) the music very well. He's very readable, and you always knew where he was coming from.

Jon Bywater's occasional sojourns for the Listener were great, there was this excellent review of the White Stripes' Get Behind Me Satan he did a few years back which put their music (and specifically, the acclaim) better than any of the reviewers aggregated on metacritic, that's for sure.

Today, Tomorrow, Timaru • Since Jan 2007 • 449 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Littlewood,

Oh, I've just found the White Stripes review
    here!

Today, Tomorrow, Timaru • Since Jan 2007 • 449 posts Report Reply

• mark taslov,

Great thread, really enjoyed reading this. I'm compelled to mention George Harrison. Nothing against the Alpha twins, but he's just the slightest bit undervalued for my liking. Songs like Taxman, Blue Jay way, Within without you, Savoy Truffle, Piggies, special gems. The main thing that I find kind of tainted about the singling the members out though is it seems to undermine the greatest feature: the teamwork.

It really was astounding, how the 60s and in particular the British sixties produced these tight as groups The Kinks, The Who, Pink Floyd through to say Sabbath, Queen and Led Zepplin. Sure Brian Wilson and Dylan were the standout individuals of the whole era but there was just this cliquiness within those groups that was so fucking cool. Only American groups of note that seemed to have comparable relevance and comradery were perhaps S&G + VU, most others seemed to disentergrate or be dominated by a superstar.

That was a great book Matthew, When I discovered it, I read the whole thing in the Auckland University bookstore over a few days before ordering it, changed my life, I was totally inspired by the cohesion of technical and critical features + music theory.

Generalizing of course but, I always feel kind of sad looking at the seventies (loosely distinguished*) and the plethora of great solo artists who emerged on the world stage; Elton John, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens, Neil Diamond, David Bowie*, Lou Reed*, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Marley*, Isaac Hayes, Willie Nelson to name a few and wondering what might have been had two of these managed to handle the lesser visibility of being part of a great group John/Paul like. Neil Young definitely seemed a forerunner to this 'going solo' trend.

But that band was such a rare feat of diplomacy. This is a fun site for The Beatle's addicts:

www.beatlemoney.com/sliderfree.htm

Te Ika-a-Māui • Since Mar 2008 • 2281 posts Report Reply

• mark taslov,

& yeah, leaving Afghanistan wouldn't be a bad idea.

Te Ika-a-Māui • Since Mar 2008 • 2281 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Russell Brown (not an ass kiss, he wrote half the FN special issue I edited) and Paul McKessar's stuff in the '80s RIUs I've come across has been fantastic.

Some of it makes me cringe a bit now, but I've always been grateful for Murray Cammick's willingness to let me experiment. I'm not sure I'd have been as tolerant in his position, but I was passionate about it and he recognised that. Or maybe it was just that I was subbing the whole thing anyway ;-)

Also, I don't care whether this sounds self-serving or not, but Stevie Kaye's reviews, particularly those of critically ignored artists like Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance, totally thrilled me.

Yeah, it shows through that Stevie cares.

• Craig Ranapia,

Nice show, Russ -- the Afghanistan panel was insightful (and as depressing as it should have been), while the music writing panel wasn't the orgy of "get off my damn lawn" Dad-ism I was expecting. :)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

BTW, sorry for the thread-jack but I think congrats are in order to Associate Justice Designate Sonia Sotomayor. That was (relatively) painless...

• Craig Ranapia,

Great thread, really enjoyed reading this. I'm compelled to mention George Harrison.

While I'm more an Elvis man, George Harrison has my endless props for financing HandMade Films -- which brought us Monty Python's Life of Brian, Time Bandits, Mona Lisa, A Private Function and the eye-crossingly squalid majesty that is Withnail & I. (__Nuns on the Run__ & Shanghai Surprise not so much, but moving right along...) That's using your power for good not evil. :)

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.