Field Theory by Hadyn Green

Read Post

Field Theory: Wait for it...

35 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

• Megan Wegan,

The Azzurri would need new uniforms too

And it would settle that argument we had about whether women or men are better at artistic gymnastics.

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• Peter Darlington,

As a West Ham fan can I just say Bollocks! We want goals and we need 'em quick :) (At the oppo's end as well, just to clarify)

It is possible to have an entertaining 0-0 game but not often, most of them are crap. Likewise, if a game heads into 5-0 or 6-1 territory it's seen as a massacre rather than as a great game. Like a lot of sports, no scoring is a bit dull, too much isn't great either.

Nelson • Since Nov 2006 • 949 posts Report Reply

• Angus Robertson,

On this basis I recommend that the sport do away with the goals all together if the setup is so beautiful.

By keeping the goals they also manage to attract another sort of fan, those who by some defect are incapable of appreciating beauty of the game or simply unwilling to let it exist unsullied. People who exist solely to win, valuing acrobatic dives and long ball hacks. And there sure are a lot of them to be found.

Auckland • Since May 2007 • 984 posts Report Reply

• Hadyn Green,

People who exist solely to win

Yeah, I fucking hate those athletes who play to win the game. :)

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2090 posts Report Reply

• Chockasunday,

Sunday's Phoenix game was the worst I have seen them play (at least since the last worst time!)
    Normally it's much more exciting than that.

When I'm watching, I want to see goals.
    The outpouring of emotion when your team scores is amazing.
    Cricket only gets that exciting at the end of a game, and rugby never gets that exciting.

My blog on the first Phoenix game I saw

Wellington • Since Jan 2007 • 62 posts Report Reply

• Hadyn Green,

Cricket only gets that exciting at the end of a game, and rugby never gets that exciting.

Yes it does, don't be silly. Against Australia, last year, we're down by more than three. the clock is counting down fast, and the All Blacks were pushing for the line. The crowd in the pub I was in were going men-tal!

• uroskin,

2 x 45 minutes of orgasm denial is called "edging"

Waiheke Island • Since Feb 2007 • 178 posts Report Reply

• Keir Leslie,

Angus, you aren't seriously promoting Arsenal as an nice team as opposed to that nasty diving Man U are you?

Because Eduardo da Silva's got a wee cannon on his shirt & it was Wenger that claimed that it was all a Scotch mafia at uefa that were agin him.

The scoreline really has very little to do with a `good' game or not; it is possibly to watch a truly beautiful 0-0 draw, or an edgy 2-1 win, or a nailbiting 1-1 draw, or a rollicking 4-5 goalfest; the point is that in football scoring is the aim, but it's not the simplistic measure of a game that runs are in cricket for instance.

Because while little old NZ could make it to the World Cup, when we play Brazil the outcome will be fairly certain

Well, yes. One way to think about it: there's a hundred odd countries between the two sides. The hundredth worst international rugby side in the world doesn't exist.

Since Jul 2008 • 1452 posts Report Reply

• Hadyn Green,

After uroskin said:

2 x 45 minutes of orgasm denial is called "edging"

Keir said this:

an edgy 2-1 win

Then I giggled childishly

• Ian Llewellyn,

I think Hadyn your friend meant it is not ``all'' about goals.

Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to explain colours to the blind when talking about football to someone who has only ever watched rugby.

Neither game is better than the other, they are just games with different rules.

Football's beauty is its simplicity, the rules don't change (there was a decade long argument over how long the goalkeeper could hang on to the ball), the only significant one I can recall in 40 years is the banning of the back pass.

Rugby seems to change by the season and the game now has little resemblance to when I was being beaten up on the playing fields of Wainui.

That video of Gazza scoring at Wembley against the Arse sums up a lot to me.

I was there that day, the Spurs had yet another average season, great players rubbish team.

We went to Wembley knowing in our hearts that we were going to be thumped (A strange aside but why do rugby people/Nzers? stop supporting their teams when they are losing), but we went and we won through a mix of passion, skill and beauty.

All those depressing days at White Hart Lane were worth it and the goals mattered a lot.

Then there was the following final when the donkiest player turned into a football genius when it really mattered.

Football is just a game and I have spent far too much time puzzling over why so few Nzers get it, when so many more people do.

I have theories, but I have written enough now

Since Feb 2008 • 10 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.