Southerly by David Haywood

Read Post

Southerly: A Nightmarish Moment

42 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

• Jolisa,

It's also an anagram of RACE ON, WEB GOD.

That is mighty! I bow to you, sir. And dare Ben to get it on a T-shirt, or even better, as a tattoo.

My air-cooled jaws are entirely due to this miserable, but entirely seasonal, New England weather. Brr.

Auckland, NZ • Since Nov 2006 • 1472 posts Report Reply

• Carol Stewart,

Ben Gracewood is almost a perfect anagram of WE ARE BORG.

How about WE CAN BORE GOD?
    Philip's is way better.

Wellington • Since Jul 2008 • 830 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Go the Mooloos.

I need more Cow Bell

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

Didn't Stephen attempt to establish that I was from Te Awamutu a while ago?

I thought I saw you at The Regent 3 Cinema in Alexandra Street. Great things have come from Te Awamutu--not just the Finns.

But I am procrastinating--I should get back to updating my chapter on NZ journalists for a new edition of The Global Journalist (Routledge). All insights on the state of the profession are welcome (but they do have to be publishable!)

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

I thought I saw you at The Regent 3 Cinema in Alexandra Street.

I think I saw Men in Black there. You have a terrific memory.

Great things have come from Te Awamutu--not just the Finns.

My beloved, for one thing.

(but they do have to be publishable!)

There goes my expletives-only section on the state of our newspapers.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Philip, we should fly you to New Zealand

Seconded.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• David Haywood,

Hi David, what did you do with that painting I gave you, don't lie, you dropped it into the nearest burkes bin, didn't you.

Steven: that was you? Why in God's name didn't you introduce yourself? I was completely bewildered -- I thought you must work for Arty Bees and were totally taking the piss out of me.

Arty Bees still have the paintings -- following a conversation that must have made no sense at all to them. You must have thought I was *so* rude! Many apologies for that, dude. I feel like such an idiot.

Drop me a line here and send me your mailing address. I'll flick you a copy of the book ASAP -- it's the least I can do.

And thanks to everyone for the excellent comments on this thread. Had four hours sleep last night and drove from Palmerston North to Auckland today with a toddler. So exhaustion has fully set in. I hope you'll understand if I don't reply until tomorrow.

Dunsandel • Since Nov 2006 • 1156 posts Report Reply

• Yamis,

For years I have suffered nightmares in which I am giving a speech to a large crowd of onlookers. The sequence of events is always the same: I forget what I am supposed to say, fall into a complete panic, and then begin to talk utter rubbish.

As a teacher that sounds somehow familiar. Thankfully the teacher is always right. Even when he's wrong.

Since Nov 2006 • 903 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Book launch was great last night, such a dapper setting (I seriously want those 3 armchairs)
    So bought a few books and on leaving one "My First Stabbing remained on the table where Craig was sitting.Thinking it was mine by checking we grabbed it. Once we got them home, we realised that there was indeed one extra ( our group got 3 so a mistake is possible all right?)
    I am going to take it on Friday to the Great Blend/ Xmas party, so I'll pass it back to David or Russell. :) It wasn't signed.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Had four hours sleep last night and drove from Palmerston North to Auckland today with a toddler.

Perhaps you should get some cushions and teach Bob to drive -- he don't need no stinking sleep. :)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• GemmaG,

Amazingly, the hardened security-dude wilted ... and let her through without a murmur of protest.

Yeah, I know you're all envious of my skills. So I'll tell you what went down at Parliament, for free. The rest of my "How I get into all the parties" tips will be in the book that D Haywood will inevitably try to get me to write. But, it will be a boring book, if the Parliament Incident is an example:

I wandered in with the rest of the PA-ers. The security guard asked my name. I told him. He said, "Hmm, it's not on the list. How do you spell it?" I told him. He wrote it on the list. Then ticked it off.

Yup, next stop, White House.

That aside, David's speech at Parliament was legendary, but Bob-the-Tattooed-Baby's topless appearance at the Auckland launch took the cake. I'm pretty sure his bare torso/leggings combo was a carefully choreographed nod to his Dad's Margaret Urlich-inspired speech.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 45 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

but Bob-the-Tattooed-Baby's topless appearance at the Auckland launch took the cake.

It's not a proper party unless someone takes their top off and runs screaming through the room -- it just happened a lot earlier than usual...

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Took the Reserve Bank annual to my book group on Wednesday night. Quite a bit of interest there and someone suggested it was like Mad magazine for intellectuals. Left it for the host to read when she has more time, as she enjoyed her quick look at it. She thought her husband might like it too - he's the chair of the RB.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

She thought her husband might like it too - he's the chair of the RB.

Ahaha... fantastic.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• JackElder,

he's the chair of the RB.

It was only a matter of time.

Wellington • Since Mar 2008 • 709 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa,

Only one degree of separation... and the title of the thread suddenly seems rather ominous. Has Dr H gone into hiding yet??

Auckland, NZ • Since Nov 2006 • 1472 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Just some clarification - the chair of the RB, ie head of the governance board (called the Board of Directors), is Arthur Grimes, rock musician and economist. Our book group was held at his house. Mr Bollard is the Governor which means the chief executive, an employee and not part of the governance structure. A university colleague of mine is another member of the Board of Directors. Don Abel (who spoke at the launch) is an Assistant Governor (ie one of AB's deputies). The person with the title, Deputy Governor, is someone I went to school with.
    This all makes sense to Wellingtonians.
    And they all seem to have good senses of humour.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.