Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Auckland Council as leaky building

172 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 7 Newer→ Last

• Russell Brown,

The Greens' Dave Clendon has a letter from the president of Local Government New Zealand to members, flaying the government's "unfathomable logic" on Auckland CCOs.

It's really worth reading.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Just a bit more on The Aucklander's good work on these issues.

They have done a lot. They even took the unusual step of submitting, in person, to the select committee.

I gather they have also been using the OIA to try and get what ought to be public information out of the ATA, and have related stories on the way.

• Graeme Edgeler,

Do we have any polls recently on Auckland voters? wouldn't mind seeing if there is a difference...

There may well be. But any difference that renders this likely would be incredible (in both senses of the word):

On thier present form National will be luck to win east coast bays and Rodney in Epsom is look shakey.

To get Auckland-wide poll numbers that rendered that likely you'd need National at around 70% in the rest of the Country to get the nationwide poll numbers we're looking at.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler,

Just a bit more on The Aucklander's good work on these issues.

They have done a lot. They even took the unusual step of submitting, in person, to the select committee.

I had understood that Craig was getting at media coverage of local body politics more generally. When there's something big on - like this - there's coverage. But except for the six week's before the election, you'd have no idea City Councils were meeting unless someone is thrown out.

• Russell Brown,

I had understood that Craig was getting at media coverage of local body politics more generally.

He referred to "Auckland's print media" and APN specifically.

The Aucklander, which has been hammering these stories for months, answers to both descriptions.

• Mikaere Curtis,

I/S has a post about Mike Lee's opinion piece in the Herald.

An example of what Lee says is wrong with this particular CCO:
    Auckland Transport is not required to give effect to the Regional Land Transport Strategy, or any other Auckland Council policy that relates to the transport agency.

It looks like they are deliberately encouraging CCOs to go feral.

Tamaki Makaurau • Since Nov 2006 • 528 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler,

The Aucklander, which has been hammering these stories for months, answers to both descriptions.

"Has been hammering these stories" was part of my (and I thought, Craig's) point. It's the other local government stories that are being missed.

The issues with the amalgamation would seem more important if local body politics was considered important.

If APN, and the Aucklander don't think local body politics is important enough about write about the ongoing issues - not with amalgamation but with the normal things councils do and are responsible for year in year out, then why would we believe them when they say this is important. They've already implied that it can't be by not covering the January Council meeting, and the February Council meeting and the ...

• Stephen Judd,

An electorate that voted a party in on the basis that it was time to give the other side a go for a change is hardly one that really thinks about the future. I don't think enough voters are future-orientated to make a difference.

Once GST rates have actually come in, once the supercity is a complete fuckup, then people will turn on National. Until then, nothing will happen in the polls at all.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

If APN, and the Aucklander don't think local body politics is important enough about write about the ongoing issues - not with amalgamation but with the normal things councils do and are responsible for year in year out, then why would we believe them when they say this is important.

Graeme, your point is completely lost on me. The amalgamation is the most important Auckland local body story in decades, perhaps ever. Of course there's been an increased focus on it.

But I'm not aware that the Herald ignores council meetings. It has at least three reporters covering local body issues and a dedicated columnist. Could the newsroom be bigger? Yes. But I don't see how that invalidates the reporting it does do.

Have you even read The Aucklander? It has been named best suburban/community paper in the Qantas awards for the past two years, and won various other awards -- in part for its local authority coverage.

Really, what are you on about?

• Steve Barnes,

David Kemeys the Editor in chief of The Eastern Bays Courier isn't singing the praises of the Supper City either (supper for the big boys that is)
    It just can not happen he says.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Hang on CCO ? Council controlled Organisation? Why are they still using that term? surely it should be Autonomous Local Authority. Praise be to ALA with Rodney as the new Messiah (f)or profit.
    It's that bloody Roger Douglas again, why can't he just sod off?.

• Steve Barnes,

Is this going to be a secret like the secret plan to end whaling? You know, the one that turned out to be let's stop illegal whaling by making whaling legal.

A bit like stopping the tax rort of our top earners not paying their fair share... by lowering their tax rate.

• Andre,

I'm just waiting for John Key to say "Read my lips - no new taxes". Then they'll screw us over by threatening to triple our local body rates unless they can sell some assets. The uber-wealthy boomers needed another tax break - I mean the property market's been a little shaky recently and they're even talking about regulating our finance industry. What shall they do? Raise GST and lower the top tax rate. That'll sort it.

New Zealand • Since May 2009 • 371 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

Once GST rates have actually come in, once the supercity is a complete fuckup, then people will turn on National. Until then, nothing will happen in the polls at all.

I think they get 3 free passes first. In the first, they blame the Supercity on Labour. In the second, they blame it on the bureaucracy. In the third, they blame it on ACT, and lose 3.4%. In the last, they blame it on the people, and that's when they get turned on.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

While yet another issue already mentioned.Jesus Christ on a stick! To say "just typical Forest and Bird scaremongering" what does John Key expect? Er, Hello. Isn't it a bit obvious that any person concerned about oh, I dunno, let's just say our native forests and our native birds, might have an inkling of concern when it comes to bulldozing through these places with the largest Caterpiller D 10, and the acquisition also by Solid Energy of 2 huge Dump Trucks?
    Seriously I am so sick of news that starts with "John Key says.It's almost "But wait, there's more!"

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Baker,

I'm totally sick of the Auckland papers and commentators blaming "Wellington" for this mess...

This has *nothing* to do with "Wellington"... All the players (Hide, Key, the commentators, the ATA) are Aucklanders.

Leave Wellington and Wellingtonians out it....

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 10 posts Report Reply

• Christopher Dempsey,

It's nothing to do with Wellingtonians.

It's to do with Wellington as a political power base - Wellington as capital.

If the capital, where central govt is based and large bureaucracies are located were to be in Kaiapoi, then we would be sick of Kaiapoi.

Repeat: This has nothing to do with Wellington as a city or Wellingtonians. It has everything to do with the idea that a seat of government can dictate everything to another city.

Parnell / Tamaki-Auckland… • Since Sep 2008 • 659 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Leave Wellington and Wellingtonians out it....

Oh get over yourself.Since when have we got all jiggy in your face over what Hide and Key et al are doing to Auckland?
    Yes we find it amusing that Wellington mocks our waterfront compared to it's, but hey it's your city that thinks it appropriate to copy Hollywood. ;) We are merely saying we want to exercise our democratic right to object to Politicians riding roughshod over our city. Not your fault, mmmk? Just the stinkin' Politicians doing this.

• BenWilson,

I'm totally sick of the Auckland papers and commentators blaming "Wellington" for this mess

Yeah, it's really Washington behind it all.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

lol

• Steve Barnes,

Yeah, it's really Washington behind it all.

I've just phoned a friend in Washington, he said he didn't know nothing about it and resented the accusation.
    He lives in a trailer park and he should know, he blamed Al-Queda.

• BenWilson,

I've just phoned a friend in Washington....he blamed Al-Queda

Lock it in! Save up "Ask the audience" for the Wellywood sign, and the 50:50 for "Is Key ambitious, relaxed, concerned or away?"

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Lock it in!

Lock it in? Don't you mean Lock and load? We are talking Trailer park here, aanndd, Washington. :)

• Graeme Edgeler,

Really, what are you on about?

I paraphrased at one point what I thought Craig was saying, and have been answering questions about it since.

• Sacha,

That'll learn you

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.