Thought I might have a go at resurrecting this thread to bring news about submissions made so far to the govt's Schedule 4 stocktake discussion paper.
I was at the Mining/No Mining debate in town this evening - much raucous heckling and fun being had by all - except perhaps those speaking in favour of mining (I don't think they had much fun).
Anyway, Metiria Turei said that so far, not counting today, 14,000 submissions to the discussion paper have been received.
Holy shit! That's a HECK of a lot of submissions!
I asked her afterwards how many submissions the govt normally receives on a specific issue, and she said generally around 1,000 was considered average. She said, as a comparison, that there were around 2,000 submissions relating to the Foreshore & Seabed, which was considered a large number at the time.
Submissions close at 5pm on May 4 (this coming Tuesday), so you still have time to make one, assuming you haven't already.
It'll be interesting to see how many more they get over the weekend....
Oh - and if you're in Auckland on Saturday, don't forget the anti-mining protest - Don't undermine New Zealand! - starts at 11am, Lower Queen Street. Wish I could be there!
...and in breaking news this morning, it's been announced that a three-week extension has been added to the public submission period:
Today Energy and Resources Minister Resources Gerry Brownlee said ministers had agreed that in "the interests of fairness" the submission period should be extended while the Government completed the stakeholder engagement process.
"Cabinet agreed hui would be held with iwi significantly affected by the Government's proposals. These meetings will be held in early May. It is important that iwi have an opportunity to provide written submissions after the hui, so we have decided to extend the dates for all submissions to 26 May," Mr Brownlee said.
And, here, perhaps a timely reminder of when drilling goes
The Auckland March Against Mining is HUGE.
Did you spot the image of marchers along Q St right outside the Surf shop. I thought BIllabong across the front was a great protest all in itself :)
So pleased Auckland has come out to tell this Government where to get off. Now we just need the same for this Council business.
Absolutely Sofie - I'm so impressed at how many people turned out. Go Auckland! The reports before the march said that the organisers were hoping for 10,000, so 50,000 is stunning.
so 50,000 is stunning.
Yep, ARE YA STUNNED YET GERRY BROWNLEE? :)