Read Post

Hard News: A revolting piece of shit

448 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 18 Newer→ Last

• Islander,

Geoff Lealand, I'd appreciate a photocopy please. Will pay p&p-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Robyn Gallagher,

The Dirty Sesh news manages to make the rumour of the Feelers covering "Right Here, Right Now" as the RWC theme tune seem like good music news in comparison.

Since Nov 2006 • 1946 posts Report Reply

The "Dirty Sesh" news manages to make the rumour of the Feelers covering "Right Here, Right Now" as the RWC theme tune seem like good music news in comparison.

And that's quite an acheivement.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• B Jones,

Jonty:

She who stood up in Parliament and delivered the immortal words: "all men are potential rapists".

Did she? I'd have thought that would have gotten famous enough such that one could google a reference to it that wasn't this page. Perhaps you could provide a Hansard ref, if it was in the House. There are a lot of urban legends around the more challenging aspects of feminist theory - usually it's Andrea Dworkin who gets blamed for the "all men are rapists" thing - it's a bit of a simplistic summary of her work. And the book she wrote it in was published in 1987, three years after Waring left Parliament.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 976 posts Report Reply

• Andre Alessi,

I'm normally pretty easy going when it comes to "artistic" depictions of violence (I mean, my favourite show is Dexter) but I wastched that video last night and it was just pointless and stupid.

I know there's a whole visual language of gore and violent, misogynistic fantasies in modern music videos (takes me back to ICP and Body Count) that this particular video is trying to be a part of, so I don't really see it as coming from left-field as such, though it's not very well made and the music is awful. What I do find odd is that a performer who is angling for something close to mainstream airtime (what else would you call someone who receives NZ On Air funding?) would think that trying to frame themselves as "underground" in this way fits in with all that. The whole point of making videos like this is to explicitly reject being tagged as mainstream.

Stupid, greedy and lazy.

Devonport, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 864 posts Report Reply

• Andre Alessi,

In keeping with female equality aspect of the thread. I wonder what the reaction might have been if the script had been flipped and it was a female killer preying on male victims in the vid ?

At least then it would be saying something slightly more interesting than "I am a man and I like to kill women" which, in case you haven't noticed, is something of a problem in our society.

• GemmaG,

I think Lady Gaga's doing a bit more than getting her tits out. She's much more interesting than that.

Ooh, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's show...

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 45 posts Report Reply

• Grant McDougall,

While the song and clip themselves are dire, this is, sadly, just another example of "controversy as publicity", something the music biz has used for eons.

It might get the "artist" some short-term hype, but long-term my money's on him being a has-been and his album in the bargain bins within the next few years.

I can't see him becoming as relevant over the years as say, Che Fu.

Dunedin • Since Dec 2006 • 760 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Yes, she is also dry humping multiple people at multiple times. Call me conservative (im not) but that isn't 'empowering' it is more going with what the guys want.

Um... I'd LOVE introduce you to a couple of lipstick dykes of my acquaintance who'd not only quite like to screw Lady Gaga's brains out, but can deliver one hell of a tag-team rant on how it is not their responsibility to police male sexuality.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• philipmatthews,

Also her music is not very good, which doesn't help her cause.

Come on! Bad Romance is killer.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2007 • 656 posts Report Reply

• Jonty,

Germaine Greer was interviewed by Stephen Sackur on Hard Talk (BBC World) the other night. Great stuff, and Germaine held her own in the face of relentless interruption by Sackur.

Katikati • Since Mar 2007 • 102 posts Report Reply

• Wammo,

The Dirty Sesh news manages to make the rumour of the Feelers covering "Right Here, Right Now" as the RWC theme tune seem like good music news in comparison.

My beef about the RWW song is not with The Feelers (for once), but if it is "Right Here, Right Now" the song writing royalties will not go to a NZ musician. I'm sure a new or existing NZ song could be used that would satisfy both a national and international audience. That's a crap load of money gone wanting for a NZ artist. Shame.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 42 posts Report Reply

• Andre Alessi,

My beef about the RWW song is not with The Feelers (for once), but if it is "Right Here, Right Now" the song writing royalties will not go to a NZ musician. I'm sure a new or existing NZ song could be used that would satisfy both a national and international audience. That's a crap load of money gone wanting for a NZ artist. Shame.

I'm telling you, "Gutter Black" is the way to go for so many reasons...

• Robbie Siataga,

words mean nothing, image is everything.

I think Lady Gaga's doing a bit more than getting her tits out. She's much more interesting than that.

...it's a pity her tits aren't, or is that just me reinforcing my indoctrination to only apply the accepted western beauty myth to women in the media. Nice pins though. Here's a tshirt grafik i did in thats in keeping with the theme.

http://i44.tinypic.com/102vyqf.jpg

Yeah i'm a fan on a 'capturing the fashion' zeitgeist level, but minus the gimmickry, isn't she just the new elton john. He could also do wonders with a shit tune and funny costumes ?

Whatever...maybe i am being one eyed but when you got the power of the illuminati behind you, you're made in the shade :)

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=1676

one man's revolting piece of shit is another man's meal ticket

Since Feb 2010 • 259 posts Report Reply

Right Here, Right Now

So, who actaully made the decision? (This is an "official" RWC anthem, right?).

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• bronwyn,

The fact that hiphop audiences are so desensitised to violence and ugly art means they can view it objectively so...

Umm, no, there's quite a few of us hiphop audiences who can't view it objectively. But meh, it all seems like a ridulous publicity stunt and I've already given it too much time by writing this.

Anyone read the Canvas article on the weekend about feminism? Sandra Coney had some interesting points I think - about people blaming feminism for the promise that "women can everything"; her point was more that it wasn't feminism's fault that society still makes it much harder for women than men to have a family and a career (I know that's a very limited view of what everything is).

Edit: although she then went on to talk about people dressing as "tarts", a point I suspect lost some context in the re-telling.

tamaki makaurau • Since Nov 2006 • 86 posts Report Reply

• Glen Wright,

Murray McCully made the decision I presume.

Since Nov 2006 • 29 posts Report Reply

• Deborah,

A rousing Guardian column by Carrie Hamilton, which takes its cue from the second episode of Women, which we watched last night -- and which did, indeed, turn out to be an irritating hour of chatter about who does the washing up in middle-class homes.

Yes, but as well as quoting the two paragraphs from Hamilton's column that lament the extent to which 'feminism' is missing the point by focusing on the sex industry, it's worth looking at her last paragraph as well.

Luckily there are lots of other feminists out there, from different generations and backgrounds, making links between violence against women and other oppressions. One group recently posted a Manifesto for 21st-Century Feminism that emphasises women's exploitation in all areas of the labour market, not just the sex industry, and recognises the sexualisation of society as part of contemporary consumer capitalism. That's the kind of feminist resurgence we need.

'Feminism' is a very broad church. Until the last paragraph, Hamilton's column sounds as if "feminism" = "working against the sex industry". It's a standard tactic for denigrating contemporary feminism. (1) Feminism = empowerment by raunch culture. (2) This is bad. (3) Why isn't contemporary feminism working on x, y and z? (4) Feminists are doing it WRONG WRONG WRONG. (5) Silly naughty feminists... we can just ignore them.

There was a silly wittering piece in the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday by Paul Sheehan which pulled this kind of move: Feminism's failure to lend a hand. Australian feminist Blogger on the Cast Iron Balcony wrote a great takedown, including this paragraph, which, mutatis mutandis could be applied to a large part of Hamilton's article.

Trope two: Feminists in the West have failed to fix the world for women in other countries. Which, of course, is exclusively the responsibility of feminists. Female ones. This, of course, conveniently allows the Sheehans to criticise without offering any kind of “fix” themselves, that is, ways of helping that don’t involve invasion or other forms of coercion. I don’t think western women ignore the terrible things that are done to women in other countries. That’s not my experience. But for most of us, our traction to achieve change is limited, and where it is possible, it goes ignored by the Sheehans of this world.

@Grace

I'm not loving being the only Ladyperson in this thread so far! Where is everybody?

At school, helping with reading, then doing some work, now racing around frantically to get some chores done before heading out for my singing lesson... I would love to stay and play all day, but I've got things to do. Ka kite ano.

New Lynn • Since Nov 2006 • 1447 posts Report Reply

• Andre Alessi,

That's one hip cat that is jivin' with the kids today, daddy-o.

• bronwyn,

I imagine he was a huge Jesus Jones fan back in the day.

tamaki makaurau • Since Nov 2006 • 86 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

I'm sure a new or existing NZ song could be used that would satisfy both a national and international audience.

perhaps this audio sample from an album that should exist - Howard's the air up there?

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Deborah,

New Lynn • Since Nov 2006 • 1447 posts Report Reply

• Robbie Siataga,

At least then it would be saying something slightly more interesting than "I am a man and I like to kill women" which, in case you haven't noticed, is something of a problem in our society.

Yeah, i can't seem to get past the 'old men sending kids to die in war for money' thing and the 'music industry run by paedophiles' thing...coincidence ?

Men killing women is nothing new. I'm sure if women were physically stronger they'd be lording it over us...

Any of you dinks remember this gem ?

Planet earth

Since Feb 2010 • 259 posts Report Reply

• dc_red,

@Andre

Great tune, but can anyone help me out with what it means/refers to? I assume there's some metaphors in there (a la "Blue Lady") that I'm missing.

@Glen

Ah, the Minister for transferring taxpayer dollars to greedy corporations at work again. It's a shame he doesn't have a backroom coup to organize, just to keep him out of everyone's hair (and wallets).

Oil Patch, Alberta • Since Nov 2006 • 706 posts Report Reply

• ScottY,

Given our track record in recent Rugby World Cups I'd have thought Blam Blam Blam's song "There is no depression in New Zealand was an obvious choice.

West • Since Feb 2009 • 794 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 18 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.