Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: A revolting piece of shit

448 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 18 Newer→ Last

• Robbie Siataga,

Umm, no, there's quite a few of us hiphop audiences who can't view it objectively.

See, that's the problem with hiphop and why it's dead. Too many serial cats gettin all subjectively playahata on shit and just couldn't get the lolz.

Most took their shit wayyy to serious and disappeared up their own arses because of it...dreamin of living some viable culture when all they were doing is aping dumbass negroes.

...puhlease

Since Feb 2010 • 259 posts Report Reply

• bob daktari,

stupid man has it all wrong... does he not know the songs history of late?

from wiki: 2008 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton has used "Right Here, Right Now" as her campaign theme song. 1992 Democratic presidential candidate Jerry Brown used it as his campaign theme song.

Perhaps it's time for No Tag's Rugger Bugger

auckland • Since Dec 2006 • 540 posts Report Reply

• MikeE,

This guy is nothing, if you want to be disgusted by Mysoginistic, violent rap - check out "Necro" who tours NZ about once a year.

And the really sad part - he has women falling over themselves for him..

Washington DC • Since Nov 2006 • 138 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I'm not a woman, but this notion of girl power actually creates the opposite effect. Also her music is not very good, which doesn't help her cause.

That then, must be your opinion? It could also be noted that the 21st Century has been of benefit to women,(as compared to say, the 18th century) and precisely because of this , Lady Gaga can perform as she pleases. I personally don't like her stuff but I wouldn't dare to suggest she shouldn't perform in a particular way. Jus' sayin'

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

'Feminism' is a very broad church. Until the last paragraph, Hamilton's column sounds as if "feminism" = "working against the sex industry".

She kicks off by referring Ep 2 of Women, which is an extremely frustrating piece of work. I'm a big fan of Vanessa Engle's work, but could she not have visited a single working-class family to ask how modern gender roles were playing out there? It really wound up looking petty.

But I also read Hamilton's column in the context of it being published in the same place as Julie Bindel (last seen turning handsprings over the closure of a handful of strip clubs in Iceland) -- a context in which it isn't "blaming" feminism, but lamenting the way Bindel essentially discounts the women she purports to save.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Sesh is life...? ...meat is murder!
    This is one song that will be relegated to the
    DJ equivalent of "sour crates"...
    I'd also like to hear what John Tamihere might have to say to his Radio Live work mate Mike King about the genesis of his son's little slice of life...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Jan Farr,

Thanks for the link to Helen Razer's scorching blog.

Carterton • Since Apr 2008 • 395 posts Report Reply

from wiki: 2008 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton has used "Right Here, Right Now" as her campaign theme song. 1992 Democratic presidential candidate Jerry Brown used it as his campaign theme song.

Also, K-mart and Steinlager.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Robbie Siataga,

This guy is nothing, if you want to be disgusted by Mysoginistic, violent rap - check out "Necro" who tours NZ about once a year.

haha...yeah he's pretty funny.

...and talking of shit, there will only ever be one GG allin !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GG_Allin

Since Feb 2010 • 259 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Edit: although she then went on to talk about people dressing as "tarts", a point I suspect lost some context in the re-telling.

Well, not "people" -- women specifically, and it does strike an odd note. Men apparently escape Coney's judgement in this respect at least.

• LegBreak,

2008 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton has used "Right Here, Right Now" as her campaign theme song

...and got eliminated in the semi-final.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1162 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

Anyone read the Canvas article on the weekend about feminism?

Yes, and I found it quite disappointing. 3? 4? pages of not very much at all that could have been condensed into a couple of paragraphs at the front end; 'this is where it started, this is where we are now, everyone got that? OK, lets talk about something interesting'.

Instead the majority of the article just spent it's time re-heating a few stale old riffs about how feminism is a dirty word for some people today, and how women thought they could have it all but couldn't.

An opportunity missed, in my opinion. To borrow a quote:

Why is it that (mostly unpaid) feminist bloggers are at the cutting edge of debate, and columnists in the mass media are left pontificating about nothing in particular?

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

scans of the Canvas article on feminism.

I am willing to send a copy (old-timey photocopy) to anyone who would like the full Nowra article (just bung me an email).

Copyright takedown notices for all my PAS friends! Two for the price of one!

Tell Russell it's nothing personal, just business...

Ahem. As you were.

• Russell Brown,

I've just seen the script for Sarah's Marcia Russell interview.

Marcia has an excellent story about Germaine Greer's visit.

• BenWilson,

Why is it that (mostly unpaid) feminist bloggers are at the cutting edge of debate, and columnists in the mass media are left pontificating about nothing in particular?

It's not just feminists. I find this comment goes for just about any kind of opinion or debate.

My reason: Mass media has to appeal to mass markets. Cutting edge is seldom mass market.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

As a piece of fiction, how does that video differ from the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan, of which the main distinctive feature was the graphic depiction of death and mutilation:

Not to mention 24, which was basically a 24 episode apologia for US torture in the "war on imaginary terror".

I'm sure Dirty Sesh is a dick. Gangsta rappers tend to be, when they aren't just totally risible figures of fun. But I don't like censorship, and given that (presumably) the actors in the vid were consenting grownups and no kittens were harmed in the making, etc. then suppressing this vid would be censorship.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

It's not just feminists. I find this comment goes for just about any kind of opinion or debate.

My reason: Mass media has to appeal to mass markets. Cutting edge is seldom mass market.

but the implication here is that intelligent writing/journalism and mass market appeal are mutually exclusive. I don't think they have to be.

I find it enormously frustrating that most, if not all, 'in-depth' newspaper writing here is either brought in from overseas (which means I read it two weeks earlier online), or just a bit rubbish.

• Sacha,

suppressing this vid would be censorship

Rich, this clip is not set in some remote war context. We already censor some stuff because its harms are generally agreed to outweigh any benefits.

It's also not an equal access market for media representations, so there's not likely to be a flood of countervailing messages about women and men to make up for this hateful crap.

I'm sure Dirty Sesh is a dick.

But he's just a persona - sound familiar?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Marcia has an excellent story about Germaine Greer's visit.

You may also be interested in Professor Barbara Brookes' essay in Disputed Histories: Imagining New Zealand's Past, edited by Ballantyne & Moloughney, Otago University Press 2006. She looks at Greer's visit to NZ when she was charged with offensive language, and NZ society at the time.

Should be in the Auckland uni library.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

But I don't like censorship, and given that (presumably) the actors in the vid were consenting grownups and no kittens were harmed in the making, etc. then suppressing this vid would be censorship.

I'm not sure if Russell keeping the video off public address is censorship. He's linked to it above. He just doesn't want it hanging on his walls.

And there's probably more people going to find it to see what's offended him so much as a result of him mentioning it than there would be if he hadn't brought it up.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Robyn Gallagher,

Whether or not "Right Here, Right Now" does end up as the RWC song (oh please no), I recommend reading this 2003 Guardian article by Jesus Jones frontman Mike Edwards.

At the time it was written, Jesus Jones were happily working as professional musicians, playing corporate gigs in America - flown in to play that one song.

He knows he's not being cool, and it's not quite his boyhood dream, but he seems really happy that he's able to make a living as a muscian.

Rereading the piece, one sentence jumped out at me:

Each evening also featured the kind of entertainment designed neither to offend nor largely appeal to anyone.

That precisely describes the idea of "Right Hear, Right Now" performed by the Feelers.

Since Nov 2006 • 1946 posts Report Reply

As a piece of fiction, how does that video differ from the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan, of which the main distinctive feature was the graphic depiction of death and mutilation:

Seriously? You don't judge these things by square centimetres of gore per second. The meanings of the two are miles apart.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

but the implication here is that intelligent writing/journalism and mass market appeal are mutually exclusive. I don't think they have to be.

They don't, but the quote we were talking about used cutting edge instead of intelligent . There's a difference.

I expect we get a bit closer to that edge with overseas stuff simply because even cutting edge stuff has a market that is huge in huge countries. There's still reams and reams of foreign drivel, every bit as bad as Granny Herald's worst days. And the internet's got even more, by several orders of magnitude. But it also has the gems. How many apparently cutting edge works written in the mass media abroad had various blog sites and the rough and tumble commentary thereon, as a primary source of inspiration? Hard to know...

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

Geoff Lealand, I'd appreciate a photocopy please. Will pay p&p-

Just bung me an email off-line to lealand@waikato.ac.nz
    No need for payment--universities should still be about the free dissemination of information!

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

For the purposes of study and review of course..

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 18 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.