Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Anatomy of a Shambles

1695 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 59 60 61 62 63 68 Newer→ Last

• Neil Morrison,

well the alternative is to lose the film and the $500m which isn't going to help teachers or artists either. Some of the film workers will have children and now an income, some might spend that money on education and on the arts.

Since Nov 2006 • 932 posts Report Reply

• SteveH,

Cant access that url Marian (you are the Marian arnt you?)

Take the trailing "." off: http://tinyurl.com/27fguro

Since Sep 2009 • 444 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Pat Hackett - just what large budget film proposals do you actually see coming here? "Dam Busters"?

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

Islander has a good point. Artistic projects are a big potential and current moneyearner for us. That's now an economic fact.Think Big on Art.

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report Reply

• Peter Cox,

Tony Parker. I sympathize with all of you along with Radiographers. You are all sexy in my book and don't give up the good fight. Remember to vote for those that understand. Keep believing, but I am really sorry for all of you.

Goes for me too. And for the record, investment in teaching does see economic investment! Just not in time for the next election cycle or two is all...

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 312 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

And stuff like getting your country's name hammered at the oscars, etc to a huge worldwide audience is just the kind of exposure money can't buy.

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

The next generation of film makers won't be trained without teachers. Education is actually a multi-billion investment.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Marian Evans,

@ Islander (Do I know you? Are we about to celebrate a quarter century?) Take off the full stop.

Wellington • Since Oct 2010 • 6 posts Report Reply

• Petra,

Yeah...compromise. Let's hope that compromise is perfectly centred...not too left, not too right, fair and balanced given the fucked up circumstances.

My hope will be that The Hobbit gives a nice kick start to the economy again, and we can work on what needs to be done for our education and health sectors (which are sexy as hell, Tony Parker).

As for Simon Whipp, he's a cunty cunt from cuntsville. Cheryl West woulda totally hated him in real life on the telly.

Sigh...Have some Hungarian Rhapsody, people. For the genius and the levity.

Rotorua • Since Mar 2007 • 317 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

Teaching also doesn't bring in hundreds of millions in foreign spending.

Weeeeell, you could argue that tertiary brings foreign money. But what teachers can't really do is jeopardize that much.

the US$15M tax breaks don't really cost them anything as that tax money would have been gone if the production left anyway

Yes. Quite the opposite, this tax break fairly clearly makes money. Not to mention providing a lot of jobs, and it does mean a lot to a lot of NZers, even outside of the film industry.

Depending on the law changes, this is a big up for Key. I'm going to break my usual distrust of the Nats by saying "Well done, John".

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Full stop?
    Cheers n/n Keri

The quarter century actually happened in 2009 - USA has celebrated with a new edition at their 25yr (which was 1985.)

There was nothing in ANZ.

• SteveH,

Weeeeell, you could argue that tertiary brings foreign money. But what teachers can't really do is jeopardize that much.

That's true.

I'm going to break my usual distrust of the Nats by saying "Well done, John".

I'm saying "Well done, John, wish it hadn't been necessary".

Since Sep 2009 • 444 posts Report Reply

• chris,

Teaching also doesn't bring in hundreds of millions in foreign spending.

...and so said the Romans.

Surely this windfall, these hundreds of millions in foreign spending can now be used to help boost the teachers'/ radiographers' salaries?

Mawkland • Since Jan 2010 • 1302 posts Report Reply

• Petra,

Great student graduates bring in hundreds of millions of dollars in foreign spending, though. And for great future graduates, you need great teachers and great resources.

But that's the problem with politics and democracy: long term goals take a back seat to instant gratification.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

And another Radiographer leaves her profession.There's more money in working at a gym.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Marian Evans,

@Islander—the full stop on the link!

Yes. I guess I'm just remembering 31.10.85, found a clipping a while ago & plan to blog it this week. From another lifetime. xx

Wellington • Since Oct 2010 • 6 posts Report Reply

• Petra,

Sort of glad for the people who have expressed support for MEAA(NZ)Inc, who have just dodged a bullet, to a large extent. I think they were wrong, but many of them are friends, so...

Well, give them a hug from a stranger in Rotorua, and then kick their bums and tell them not to do that again without rillyrillyrilly knowing what the heck they are doing and why they are doing it and who they are doing it with first, will ya.

Bloody kids. Tch!

• giovanni tiso,

Can I just say that teachers are amongst our best exporters? At least judging by all the brochures I get to translate for schools chasing foreign students.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

It's reading like a pretty sharp deal that Key has struck.

He went on to add that the government and Warner Bros have also agreed to work together in a long-term strategic partnership to promote New Zealand as both a film production and tourism destination.

But that will come at a cost.

"The government will offset $US10 million of Warners marketing costs as part of the strategic partnership. This will include working with Sir Peter Jackson on the development of appropriately themed material that will promote New Zealand as a tourism destination," Key said.

"It is envisaged that this material will be included on all DVDs and digital products likely to reach tens of millions of international consumers. In addition to this, the government will be working with Time Warner as a strategic partner to promote New Zealand across their stable of media outlets."

That's a lot of marketing we just bought. If it came out of the Tourism budget, it would even seem cheap in the bargain.

• Islander,

Have 2 radiographer mates - one is due to retire (but keeps on, because she loves what she does) and the other is her daughter - who's been on both sides of the machine (she had a major stroke-like episode.) They are both lovely, active people - and they should be making way more than they do.

Dunno what gym people make.
    Me & mine never go to gyms.
    We just kinda walk & fish & hunt & build houses & stuff-

• BenWilson,

Can I just say that teachers are amongst our best exporters? At least judging by all the brochures I get to translate for schools chasing foreign students.

Heh, you'll never sell that to the Right. That's "feeding the brain drain".

• nzlemming,

@petra ;-)

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Marian- ay! Yay! Mihi koa ki a koe!
    I date everything to18th February 1984 for here...

• giovanni tiso,

"It is envisaged that this material will be included on all DVDs and digital products likely to reach tens of millions of international consumers. In addition to this, the government will be working with Time Warner as a strategic partner to promote New Zealand across their stable of media outlets."

We are chasing the market of people who watch the extra content on DVDs. The all important have-no-life demographic.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

But that's the problem with politics and democracy: long term goals take a back seat to instant gratification.

Well that's pretty fucking shallow then. Teachers and Radiographers have been trying to get their terms and conditions sorted for months well before hobomania. Back seat? No, gutter more likely. Let's just leave them there shall we . Cuts in education across all sectors from 3 year olds up, but there's money for the jail birds to learn. They are upskilling inmates to help reduce recidivism. Perhaps if they listened to teachers and tried a few of their requests in the first place, we wouldn't need to build bigger prisons. Oh never mind let's just go for instant gratification. at least the inmates can watch TV eh?

@ Islander. She does too. Even walks for Oxfam, but can't pay her rent. Rolling strikes cost.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 59 60 61 62 63 68 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.