Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Anatomy of a Shambles

1695 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 62 63 64 65 66 68 Newer→ Last

• Brendon Mills,

I think you'll find, Brendon, it is two of the Very Biggest Films Ever Made.

$600 million dollars - you know, with that Jackson could have quite easily employed all of his workers, and given them things like sick leave, breaks, overtime, etc..

New Plymouth • Since Oct 2010 • 33 posts Report Reply

• Petra,

Horsefeathers and poppycock, Brendon.

Or should that be poppyfeathers and horsecock? Bugger, I'll have to consult my neocon handbook....

Rotorua • Since Mar 2007 • 317 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

But, like I said, you don't know shit about the film business.

He doesn't know shit about dick, I think you'll find.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Brendon Mills,

I know enough to know that I would rather be an employee than an independent contractor, which is what is going to be imposed on thousands of workers around the country.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Petra, We are not on the same page but that's just me ,don't fret. I like to think I'm slightly principled and am not good at selling out. Of course I could be completely wrong so I will finish here and enjoy a bit of quality time with my x industry man.
    Nite.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

But you guys support them because you want your precious film.

Would there be any point in speaking for myself, or have your mad psychic skillz got it all sorted out?

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams,

Brendon, speaking exclusively for myself, fuck off.

Not a phrase I often use but I entirely resent your cartoon views on this. I don't want to see the NZ prostituted for no sustainable benefit but that simply hasn't happened here and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

This isn't a forum where Helen Kelly's evil and John Key's a saviour. That being the case, keep your (or Trotter's) offensive epithets to yourself.

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

One question intrigues me: would Helen Clark have done anything different?

Don't mention the Rugby World Cup, or Trev's going to re-purpose a beer bottle as a butt plug.

• tim kong,

@Brendon

Actually I went to support the rally in Wellington on Monday, to support my partner who works in the film industry, and to support an industry that has helped feed and cloth my child, and pay our mortgage. An industry made up of good people, who work damn hard doing what they love.

The union movement in the last few weeks, as embodied by the actions of AE and Simon Whipp has done a fair job of holding onto grand principles, while ignoring current realities and real people. There was such startlingly inept conduct by those representing the "union" - that I'm amazed it didn't get any worse. That's the travesty IMO - and one that needs to be redressed before the unions can be taken seriously again.

And I say that as an NZEI member, who's off to a paid union meeting tomorrow to find out what we're getting offered, by the government.

If I consider the issues, the reality of what's going on in the rest of the country, to our economy, to other real people, and make my own mind up about what's worth striking for... If I consider why I do what I do, ignoring the hype from Tolley and or those bearing placards ... If I consider my family and my personal principles - and if I refuse to strike - will you call me a scab again?

I don't often wish this on anyone - but please Craig, please unleash the pith, the venom, the verbose and the vernacular.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 153 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams,

No Tim, sadly Brendon's class warrior routine's academic.

• Kracklite,

You bastard - I jumped forward a few pages just to read that :)

Discretion is the better part of courtesy. Sometimes I have to/should bite my tongue.

:)

The Library of Babel • Since Nov 2007 • 982 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

marching to destory the union movement

Brendon, you really haven't listened well, have you? It's politically illiterate fucktards like your good self who "de-story" a proud movement of folk who were far smarter and big of heart than you'll ever be. Now fuck off back to the abbatoir you see as our glorious future.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Sometimes synchronous posting is just beautiful.

• Ian Dalziel,

More arrow slinging...

So THAT was what all the bitterness with the Sackville-Bagginses was about.

the then there's the tales of those whacky Sackville-Wests
    fortune smiles on the brave
    and the outrageously fortunate

In Spring one navigates the vigil alone...

To make that movie work you'd need a Peter Jackson. He's an artist, he draws.

or Vincent Ward - his last name is draw back!

[EDIT] oops shoulda read all the posts since 5pm before I posted this,
    I see Petra has already made this suggestion... :- )

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Petra,

Sofie, I like your passion and where you're coming from. I can tell you have a lot of heart and care deeply about injustices. You're not completely wrong at all - it's just that you're not completely right either. (And chances are that neither am I).

I just don't see all business - even big business - as some great evil. Don't get me wrong, 'cos it sure as hell can be *monsanto, big tobacco, etcetc* - but negotiations and striking deals have been happening since humans first bartered skills and food, etc. Everyone is looking for their net benefit - we just have to fight to keep it as fair and equitable as possible, with as few "victims" as possible (victims includes the environment, natch), and...and...um, I'm rambling. lol

Time for bed. Brain is mush.

G'night. :)

Rotorua • Since Mar 2007 • 317 posts Report Reply

• Brendon Mills,

You know this thread has had almost 1600 posts?

Is that some sort of record on here?

• Trevor Nicholls,

John Key's only mistake was not to bring in Don Brash sooner to negotiate with the Warner Brethren.

But I guess employment law changes means that the Not-the-Warner Brethren will still be pretty happy.

Wellington, NZ • Since Nov 2006 • 325 posts Report Reply

• Brendon Mills,

Speaking of which, I think Don Brash would be spitting tacks at this 'deal' - so would Roger Douglas.

• Craig Ranapia,

And I say that as an NZEI member, who's off to a paid union meeting tomorrow to find out what we're getting offered, by the government.

@Tim: I'm sure you're going to be damn pleased to belong to a union competent to run a gang-bang in a brothel on your behalf -- or would, if that wouldn't completely FUBAR your registration. Let us hope New Zealand actors find themselves in the same position, sooner rather than later -- it's all up to them.

So THAT was what all the bitterness with the Sackville-Bagginses was about.

I thought it more about Mum copping off with anything in a skirt (up to and including Virginia Woolf), and the dire state of the catering at Sissinghurst. (Apparently, there's a National Trust policy that all food be as offensively English as inhumanly possible.)

Speaking of which, I think Don Brash would be spitting tacks at this 'deal' - so would Roger Douglas.

Can't say I'm planning to do ecstatic nude cartwheels the length of Queen Street -- then again, it would be hypocritical if I was, given that I've been loudly critical (and roundly rubbished for being so) of the lashings of corporate welfare handed out to the Rugby World Cup, and the considerable tax breaks handed out for other productions.

(OTOH, perhaps I'm a meta-hypocrite as a fairly large chunk of my income comes from Public Address Radio -- thanks New Zealand on Air!)

But, hey, funny how you're a Grinch-i-licious right wing buzz-kill one day, and then... Anything much changed besides the Government?

• Paul Williams,

You know this thread has had almost 1600 posts?

Is that some sort of record on here?

Not nearly and it's because the participants give a damn and listen... it's a feature of this community that's highly valued (and defended). You have a view, please convey it, but please also drop the judginess and insults

• Paul Williams,

But, hey, funny how you're a Grinch-i-licious right wing buzz-kill one day, and then... Anything much changed besides the Government?

C'mon Craig, you've never killed a buzz; amplified, diverted, perverted... never killed.

• Brendon Mills,

"Not nearly and it's because the participants give a damn and listen"

Fair enough - anyway, I have found this to be a much more pleasant a place than the the rest of the blog sites.

"given that I've been loudly critical (and roundly rubbished for being so) of the lashings of corporate welfare handed out to the Rugby World Cup,"

I have always had the position that Rupert should be funding it - its only his networks that are going to make any sort of profit out of it.

• Paul Williams,

Fair enough - anyway, I have found this to be a much more pleasant a place than the the rest of the blog sites.

Grand, please avoid calling, or quoting, people round here as scabs, otherwise, opine away.

• Sacha,

(and defended)

and now I feel a bit bad for being so vehement about it.

• Sacha,

NY Times has an admirably concise report.

First ←Older Page 1 62 63 64 65 66 68 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.