Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Unreasonable people vote

407 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 17 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

And when it comes to coyote ugly politics, the Americans have nothing on the Aussies:

STATE Labor has stepped up its campaign against the surging Greens, targeting the party's candidate for Melbourne, prominent barrister Brian Walters, and seeking to smear him as anti-Semitic and an unscrupulous lawyer.

Senior Labor figures including former Victorian secretary Stephen Newnham have contacted influential members of the Jewish community seeking to generate a political backlash against the Greens, and Mr Walters in particular.

Ugly and desperate. I'm no fan of the Greens, but if the Victoria State government doesn't actually understand that defending an alleged Nazi war criminal doesn't make you a Nazi (or the basic principle that everyone accused of a crime is entitled to a defence) everyone should be very nervous indeed,

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

@Craig R: And speaking of nastiness in Oz, the Lindsay pamphlet incident takes the cake.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Angus Robertson,

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever." - George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty Four

Now singing Shihad "Factory" in my head. Thanks.

Auckland • Since May 2007 • 984 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

Deborah Coddington's Herald "articlette" where she banged on about, amongst other things, Robyn Malcolm's hair and her hand-waving

There seems to be a reinvention rush from a few local female writers to be our own Michelle Malkin. It's so hard to understand what's wrong with them other than a sneaking suspision they really fucking hate a lot of folks, for the pettiest of reasons.A lot of the language is aggressive and unreasonable, almost trying to play against the image of the maternal mind as an empathetic one.

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming,

Coddington is not rushing to that position. She's been keeping it warm for years, waiting for someone (other than Rosemary McLeod) to join her.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart,

A lot of the language is aggressive and unreasonable, almost trying to play against the image of the maternal mind as an empathetic one.

Yes, Jeremy: women can be grumpy right-wingers, too! Whatever will they do next?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

"A Village in Texas is missing its idiot."
    Happy now?

In Texas they'd call that a posse trophy....

...for the pettiest of reasons

Enter a band The Truth could champion
    - The Petty Things!
    ...wrong thread? ;- /

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

Lucy,

I don't think equality will be achieved on producing the same amount of idiots. I don't think that's what the writer meant when they penned, "girls can do anything."

This is a comment on a rise of a very similar type of female writer, the" grizzly mama bear and I wont bother with that ol' factchecking".

I'll just take on a persona that , well basically sounds like a d
    eluded rightwingmale (the cornerstone of the party).

Where are the prominent leftwing rational females?

• Petra,

I did laugh, Jacqui. And still do when I read some of the comments, and wonder how the heck they get away with it, while I get banned. It's a weird, weird internets.

Rotorua • Since Mar 2007 • 317 posts Report Reply

• Petra,

And speaking of nastiness in Oz, the Lindsay pamphlet incident takes the cake.

Jesus, Mohammed, and Yahweh! *eek*

• Islander,

Jeremy Eade - there's more than a few of them -but they dont blog.
    Have better things to do with their time.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Petra,

Nah, Jeremy, I just think that some women are twatcocks, and have been from birth. No penis envy needed.

• Petra,

• Jeremy Eade,

Jeremy Eade - there's more than a few of them -but they dont blog. Have better things to do with their time.

lucky them.

• Islander,

Yeah Jeremy Eade: grassroots activism is sooo_easy.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• B Jones,

Not only are idiots evenly distributed between the genders, but there's a long history of female columnists getting fame and fortune for ragging on other women, especially those nasty feminists. There's one in the US whose name I forget who has a beef about working mothers bringing down society, never mind the fact she's a working mother herself.

And there are several blogging leftwing rational females. Tapu Misa is a regular in the mainstream papers - she has her off days but is generally sensible.

There are a pile of other intelligent female columnists that don't deserve to be lumped in with the likes of McLeod and Coddington. I don't read Garth George, Karl du Fresne and Chris Trotter and wonder where the rational male commentators are.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 976 posts Report Reply

• Jan Farr,

Petra - thanks for Women Know Your Limits. My mascara is running!

Carterton • Since Apr 2008 • 395 posts Report Reply

• David Hood,

Jeremy Eade - there's more than a few of them -but they dont blog.

Well, I'd call some of the bloggers operating in Making Light a good starting point.

Dunedin • Since May 2007 • 1445 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

Nah, Jeremy, I just think that some women are twatcocks, and have been from birth. No penis envy needed.

No, the rational ladies always bring something to the table that I like, ladies politics.

I support feminism, left and large because I want my 2 year old daughter to be in a truely equal society. Just saying , "isn't it great
    we have lady crazies now too in politics" is a nowhere statement.

Right wing ladies...oh no.

• Jeremy Eade,

I don't read Garth George, Karl du Fresne and Chris Trotter and wonder where the rational male commentators are.

Dude, i'm a man, these are my supposed role models. Please change them.

• Danielle,

There's one in the US whose name I forget who has a beef about working mothers bringing down society, never mind the fact she's a working mother herself.

Caitlin Flanagan, maybe?

I don't read Garth George, Karl du Fresne and Chris Trotter and wonder where the rational male commentators are.

Wow, girls suck at math.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

grassroots activism is sooo_easy.

first, ya gotta be real pretty like Sarah Palin.

• Jeremy Eade,

i do.

• Petra,

But Jeremy, if we are to be equal, then we must be equal across the board, and you have to take the good with the bad. And when you challenge the bad, and you're dealing with a complete twatcock of the female gender, don't hold back on the female twatcock just because she's a female, or even use gender in the argument (unless it's an argument specifically about gender, natch), just have at it, as you would with a man. It's not a "ok, you can be equal so long as you're not a twatcock" kind of thing. Equality is one of those warts and all dealies, I'm afraid.

Jan, isn't it fabulous! I <3 Harry Enfield. :)

• nzlemming,

There is no way that men and women are equal. I have 5 sisters and they told me so.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 17 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.