Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: I'm not a "f***ing cyclist". I'm Ruby's daddy, on a bike

300 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 7 8 9 10 11 12 Newer→ Last

• Zach Bagnall,

Ride in a straight line, far enough out to be safe from unexpected doors. If you get in someone’s way it is because they don’t have room to pass you safely. This is not your problem unless you are a road engineer.

This. Which is why marked "cycle lanes" on the road are a controversial measure: they encourage new cyclists to ride up against cars/curb to the left instead of claiming the "primary position" when necessary. Trying to be inconspicuous is the worst possible thing for cyclist safety. It also gives the impression cyclists don't belong on roads without a cycle lane - ie most of them. Road sharing is the way forward.

Colorado • Since Nov 2006 • 121 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

Best thing I’ve had shouted at me from a car: “DYKE!”

Best thing I’ve had thrown at me from a car: a fork. I’ve still got it.

nice of them to give you a warning before throwing things at you.

Oh, wait, you said dyke. Sorry, having a bit of trouble with your kiwi accent.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Rich Lock,

Oh, wait, you said dyke.

With a beard, even. Donald Dyke?

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Dismal Soyanz,

Road sharing is the way forward.

Indeed.

A couple of thoughts.

1) Visibility and expectation. If motorists consciously or subconsciously expect there to be cyclists, they ought to be more cautious. My guess is this would avert the bulk of vehicle/cycle accidents that were the fault of the motorist. We may not yet be at the critical mass where motorists expect cyclists as a matter of course and how we handle this "transition" is key.

2) Was trying to understand why otherwise "safe" (for want of a better word) motorists take risks around cyclists even when they have seen the cyclist. Is there some kind of expectation that although cyclists have a right to use the road, some motorists also expect cyclists not to be slower than the vehicular traffic? Thus they get frustrated and do reckless things.

Wellington • Since Nov 2010 • 310 posts Report Reply

• Greg Wood, in reply to Carol Stewart,

I'm not sure if I've noticed it too (or, I have noticed it but I'm not sure if it's really happening) - a genuine shift in space while passing, and an inclination to pause for a few seconds behind me on the narrow Herne Bay bits, and some respect. It's nice.

It might be to do with me having genuinely and radically shifted into a new, sharing mode: I take up space when I need to, I actually *stop* at every red light and stop sign (and put my foot down; I figured track-stands in lycra are somewhat antagonising). I've also started signaling whenever sensible, and thank-you waving and nodding. So either I look like someone on a bike riding well and making a connection with someone in a car, or I look like a smiling, waving, nodding, veering lunatic. Either way I'm getting space!

Now back in Aucktown • Since Dec 2006 • 86 posts Report Reply

• Isaac Freeman, in reply to Zach Bagnall,

While cycle lanes are often poorly placed, I think they do have a role as permanent markers of territory. They say "cyclists use this road", even when no cyclists are visible.

Of course, some cycle lanes say "cyclists use this road, and I, the painter of this cycle lane, wish to take this opportunity to say 'Fuck you, cyclists'".

Christchurch • Since Feb 2007 • 134 posts Report Reply

• Dinah Dunavan, in reply to Kitt McGregor,

As usual, I'm arriving late to this discussion. Here are my two cents worth.

Shortly after I met the man who was to become my husband he was knocked off his bicycle by a jogger. From memory the jogger ran off swearing. My fella struggled to his feet, bruised and grazed and discovered his rather expensive bicycle had sustained some rather serious damage.

We had a visit to Bellingham, Washington (north of Seattle) this year. During my stay I walked a couple of miles every day along a road with no verges. Nearly every vehicle (notably always the big trucks and SUVs) pulled as far out of their lane as possible to give me room. I waved to every one of them in thanks. Imagine a truck giving a pedestrian space in NZ! My husband road most days for the two months he was there and he experienced the same courtesy from drivers. Bellingham is a fairly bike friendly town but we were staying out of town where there seem to be more conservative farming, logging, hunting (right-wing christian) types. So it wasn't a hippy beardy bike friendly thing.

Dunedin • Since Jun 2008 • 186 posts Report Reply

• Isaac Freeman, in reply to Greg Wood,

Thank you Greg, seriously.

I've always suspected that the critical mass flash-mob approach, while valuable in its time for uniting cyclists and so forth, has a major flaw: it presents cyclists to motorists as an undifferentiated mass of inconvenience.

I think a much more lasting effect is achieved when drivers see a cyclist every day, and that cyclist becomes a regular part of their commute. They always see you at about the same place, and you hold them up slightly, then let them through. It becomes obvious that you're not there with an agenda of making their lives difficult. And if they get a wave to reinforce good behaviour, they'll learn the pattern when they see you again every day.

Which is to say, even if they don't know you're Ruby's daddy on a bike, they at least know you're That Guy on a bike. And That Guy seems OK. In fact, it looks like he's enjoying himself.

Christchurch • Since Feb 2007 • 134 posts Report Reply

• Deborah,

I actually *stop* at every red light and stop sign (and put my foot down; I figured track-stands in lycra are somewhat antagonising)

Hmmm... I find it disconcerting and worrying rather than antagonising. the cyclist looks as if she might fall off at any moment, and she occasionally wobbles right in front of my car.

I haven't cycled for a few years now - I found Wellington, and now Adelaide, streets too frightening, and too narrow. Also, Adelaide drivers are really obnoxious. Srsly. I stopped at lights and stop signs, indicated directions etc. You know how it's a right pain if a motorist neglects to signal her intention, so you give way to her, only to have her turn left. It's just as much a nuisance when a cyclist neglects to signal her intentions. Like the nuisance when pedestrians keep on stepping out to cross the road, even though the red man has been flashing for some time. A little bit of courtesy is very helpful.

Mind you, I'm the sort of person who indicates in supermarket car parks, so perhaps I have an overdeveloped sense of the importance of signalling.

New Lynn • Since Nov 2006 • 1447 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Mind you, I'm the sort of person who indicates in supermarket car parks, so perhaps I have an overdeveloped sense of the importance of signalling.

I don't understand people who don't signal at every opportunity. Who does it hurt, and it could help.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Sam F,

I’ve been riding around Auckland for five years now, most of that in the CBD or on main roads, and to be honest have had little grief from anyone – certainly not more than I would expect from driving around in a car in the same places.

I really feel for riders of road bikes; it seems they have been repeatedly anointed by media organisations as the model of Cycling Gone Rogue, and thus attract disproportionate vitriol and hatred.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1611 posts Report Reply

• Martin Lindberg,

Some fresh insight from the Herald.

I’m actually not sure if it’s satire or not.

ETA:
    OK, it must be a joke:

And maybe, just maybe, cyclists should be required to purchase numbered high-visibility cycling jerseys so that they can be identified for both their safety and a sense of accountability.

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

• Carol Stewart, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

numbered high-visibility cycling jerseys

I bags #666!

Wellington • Since Jul 2008 • 830 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

Martin, it's exactly the smug Eastie nonsense I'd expect - cyclists are only OK if they're commuting, otherwise they should be in the gym (seriously).

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Maz,

Thank you all for the first reasonable discussion on this topic I've come across. I was beginning to think I was all alone out there.
    I've been cycling for 45 years and have always loved it. I also drive a car, but I've yet to meet any of the "irresponsible, lycra-clad, antisocial, freeloading w@nkers" that I've read so much about. I have, however, on a daily basis had to fend for my life in the appaling Wellington traffic, and I've desperately close to quitting my job, selling the house and moving to somewhere civilised. It is just too demoralising and depressing dealing with the level of aggression and meanness here.
    These people who were killed did not "ask for it" by riding a bicycle, and suggesting so is a terrible insult. Let's try to honour them by being more courteous in the traffic.
    Maz

Wellington • Since Nov 2010 • 30 posts Report Reply

• Rob S,

I've noticed better overtaking and greater consideration from drivers after the Waitakere scenic drive had cycle awareness signs put up. Also as a rush hour cyclist pedaling through 15 km of West Auckland in the morning there seems to be greater courtesy and space given to me lately, especially after the latest accident publicity in the media.
    It's always in the back of my mind that I could be killed or seriously injured when I set out but I carry on for fitness [and a bit of adrenalin]. Taking a regular route each day I notice the same cars and believe that they are now more aware of cyclists being present on "their" roads perhaps doing my bit to encourage others to do the same.
    I do stop for red lights and try to behave courteously to all on the road. A relatively recent virtue for me! Although I reserve the right to shout at particularly knob-headed behaivour as spleens do need to be vented.
    My hope is that as oil steadily increases in price and public transport gets its act together the ratio of bike to car will start to turn inducing better safety outcomes.

Since Apr 2010 • 136 posts Report Reply

• Carol Stewart, in reply to Greg Wood,

Very graciously said, Greg.

In the past few days it has occurred to me that a rear vision mirror, affixed to either helmet or handlebars, would be more than ornamental on the bike. Has anyone got any tips on what works with these?

• recordari,

I've also started signaling whenever sensible, and thank-you waving and nodding. So either I look like someone on a bike riding well and making a connection with someone in a car, or I look like a smiling, waving, nodding, veering lunatic. Either way I'm getting space!

I used to cycle a lot, but now ride a scooter, and even in that case I've found sometimes effusive gesticulating at intersections or while merging can help diminish any potential aggression. By that I mean in the form of directional signals, rather than rude gestures, of course. Tends to produce a smile rather than the not uncommon 'get off my road you bipedal inbred.'

In the past few days it has occurred to me that a rear vision mirror, affixed to either helmet or handlebars, would be more than ornamental on the bike. Has anyone got any tips on what works with these?

It would be nice if more motorists treated the already compulsory rear-view and side mirrors as more than ornamental too, just to revisit an earlier point.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole,

It would be nice if more motorists treated the already compulsory rear-view and side mirrors as more than ornamental too, just to revisit an earlier point.

Side mirrors are more than ornamental. They're there for clipping errant cyclists who're minding their own business, keeping left, and obeying the rules on a two-lane road. Well, that's my experience. The middle finger was used for response to my "Fucking hell" as I bounced from moving car to parked car and tried to avoid doing a face-plant on a busy road.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Sam F,

I’ve seen a fair few people on bikes – mostly cycle tourists – with mirrors mounted on the right-hand bar.

A few are mounted below the bar, extending down below the handgrip, so when you’re headed along with your head down you can still scope out what’s behind. Above the bar might be better in general for people travelling in town though.

You can apparently also get helmets that have really trick mirror systems integrated into them, but I’d think a standard mirror would be all most people would need (and call me old-fashioned, but I’d prefer a soft foam helmet without little hard bits embedded into it).

And hooray for polite gesturing on bikes. I often deploy a defensive outstretched arm with palm raised when a vehicle appears to be edging out into my lane. I then dispel that imaginary forcefield with a quick thumbs up and nod/smile of recognition when the driver actually stops. Hasn’t failed me so far and you do actually get nods, smiles and thumbs up in return quite a lot of the time. Crash averted, recognitions of common humanity exchanged, I see no downsides.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1611 posts Report Reply

• JoJo, in reply to Carol Stewart,

I know a guy who does a lot of fairly long-distance road cycling. He recently got wing mirrors and said it made him realise that most drivers actually are considerate and patient. And now he can see them lining up behind him, waiting for a good place to pass. It sounded like it helped him to be more considerate of those in cars, too.

Wellington • Since Jul 2008 • 95 posts Report Reply

• Greg Wood,

The swearing is still going on at the original post.

My most recent comment is my best, I think:

"Bikes are vehicles ridden by people. Cars are vehicles driven by people. People need to pay attention to the fact that people in cars cause between 7* and 9* out of 10 of all accidents involving cyclists, and do something about it, starting with changing our fucking attitudes now that we know the facts."

*LTSA; Monash

Now back in Aucktown • Since Dec 2006 • 86 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

I have a mirror mounted on the right of my handlebar and I can't believe it took me so long. I believe it's making me much safer as I can see cars coming from behind before I even consider turning right. I highly recommend them. Mine cost about $30 from a local bike shop.

Like Sam, I give a happy wave to people who do the right thing by me when I'm on a bike. I also make sure I signal left turns and give way ostentatiously to right-turning drivers.

In the six years I've been regularly bike commuting in Wellington and Auckland, I've had exactly two malicious incidents, both involving carloads of teenagers. One lot slowed and yelled out the window "Learn to drive!" as they went around the Basin, and the other tooted at me as they passed me climbing Mt Vic, seemingly in an attempt to try and make me fall off. Little shits. But all the other near misses I've had seem to have been genuine absent-mindedness, and to be honest, I screw up sometimes too.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Carol Stewart, in reply to Stephen Judd,

Thanks everyone for your advice about mirrors. I'm pretty much getting one RIGHT NOW.

• Sacha,

New York's bike lane backlash, including photo - via Gemma Gracewood (keepin it in Greg's whanau).

Police and transportation officials, meanwhile, have begun a crackdown on bicycle-related traffic violations amid complaints from some pedestrians.

Surging bike ridership has created a simmering cultural conflict between competing notions of urban transportation. Many New Yorkers object to bicycle lanes as sudden, drastic changes to their coveted concrete front yards.

“He’s taking away my rights as a driver,” Leslie Sicklick, 45, said of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 7 8 9 10 11 12 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.