Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Public Address Word of the Year 2010

269 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 7 8 9 10 11 Newer→ Last

• Megan Wegan, in reply to David Haywood,

On further reflection, so do I. That way she’ll prove to us, once and for all, that she’s not chicken.

I have often felt, in my correspondence with her over Twitter, that she is a bit chicken.

That's right, Gracewood. I'm calling you out. (Even though you were very lovely and sent me virtual mince pies yesterday.)

Thank you very much!

S'OK. I recently referred to you to someone in my workplace as The Nicest Man In The World, and said it's your official title. (Also, when I am down at Xmas, you and your lovely lady are joining is at the pub, kay?)

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

Question for those with more UK experience than I. Is twat (rhyming with bat) used over there to refer to genitalia, or is that way of saying it reserved as an insult?

As in, would "I fingered her twat" (rhyming with hat), mean digital foreplay, or flipping the bird at her angry wannabe boyfriend, or pointing at her accomplice in a lineup?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• David Haywood,

I recently referred to you to someone in my workplace as The Nicest Man In The World, and said it’s your official title.

Dude, that's both slander and libel. I consider myself in (nearly) the same tough-guy category as Dr Gracewood -- a hell-raiser and ne'er-do-well, living on the edge of the law.

when I am down at Xmas, you and your lovely lady are joining is at the pub

Done!

Dunsandel • Since Nov 2006 • 1156 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to David Haywood,

– a hell-raiser and ne’er-do-well, living on the edge of the law.

Dude. Way to make me spit coffee all over my computer screen.

• Rich Lock,

would "I fingered her twat" (rhyming with hat), mean digital foreplay,

Yes it would. It's a vey crude way of putting it, though, and wouldn't be used in relation to a special ladyfriend.

The word is also frequently used both as an insult and also as a term of affection between good mates, in much the same way as 'wanker': By itself (oi! wanker! [twat!]), or prefixed with 'you' (piss off, you wanker [twat]). Generally has the same insult-strength as 'wanker', as well, but many connisseurs prefer the superior mouth-feel of the single-syllable expletive. Not generally used as part of a compound insult, but can be prefixed with, for example 'fucking' for additional effect..

Happy to help.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Dude, that’s both slander and libel. I consider myself in (nearly) the same tough-guy category as Dr Gracewood – a hell-raiser and ne’er-do-well, living on the edge of the law.

I tried to give Dr Haywood a hug once and he beat me down right there in the street.

But then he took me to a club where all the strippers wrote poetry and the only drink they sold was absinthe. So I figure we're square.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to David Haywood,

Dude, that’s both slander and libel. I consider myself in (nearly) the same tough-guy category as Dr Gracewood

And nobody fucks with Dr Gracewood.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Pen Quinnan,

Julian Assange

Dunedin • Since Dec 2010 • 2 posts Report Reply

• Bronwyn Holloway-Smith,

Assange

NZ • Since Dec 2010 • 3 posts Report Reply

• Bronwyn Holloway-Smith,

Hah! Great minds think alike. Pen, you bet me to it...

NZ • Since Dec 2010 • 3 posts Report Reply

• Pen Quinnan, in reply to Bronwyn Holloway-Smith,

Snap! I'm thinking the recency effect may work in our favour...

Dunedin • Since Dec 2010 • 2 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

[No offence intended Waikato. It’s not you, it’s me…]

On consideration, I think it’s probably Waikato…

Geez, away for a week in Sydney and have to leap immediately into defensive mode!!

With Australia experiencing flooding in NSW, locust swarms in Victoria, alleged betrayals over World Cup venues and pavlova ownership, and doing so badly at the cricket, it is tempting to share a moment or two of schadenfraude.

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams, in reply to Geoff Lealand,

Cheers to that Geoff, oh wait, but I live in Sydney. Actually, I typically barrack for Australia when they're not playing NZ but I can't help but enjoy their failiings in the Ashes.

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Paul Williams,

The Germans probably have a word for expat schadenfreude (though I'm not sure they have one for cricket)..

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to Sacha,

The Germans probably have a word for expat schadenfreude (though I’m not sure they have one for cricket)..

Even the Greeks don't have a word for cricket.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

Oops---a (schaden) Freudian slip there!

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• peterpeasant,

Like Jacob I am intrigued by pronunciation having heard ,and used , both the hot and hat versions.

I suppose it it depends on whether one went to Oxford or Cambridge.

Jackie, scatological interests have no necessary relationship with either twatcocks, or cocktwats,

new zealand • Since Oct 2010 • 39 posts Report Reply

• Carol Stewart,

The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity.
    G.B. Shaw.

Wellington • Since Jul 2008 • 830 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to peterpeasant,

I have always used scatalogical to refer to my love of swearing, even though, I see now, it is all about the excrement. So then – what is the word for someone who loves swearing? If I ever knew the answer, I can't remember it now. Maybe it's profanitorial.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• st ephen,

My understanding was always that "twat to rhyme with hot" was an offensive four letter word that you couldn't say on the telly, whereas "twat to rhyme with hat" was a meaningless monosyllable that edgier UK comedians adopted to put one over the censors. Not for the first time, PAS has demolished one of my pet theories.

I had a suggestion for Word Revival of the Year: egg, from that movie that everyone loved apart from me and Cecilia. But thanks to Tom I now see that the "paul henry word" also claims that category.

dunedin • Since Jul 2008 • 254 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Profane? That does seem to specialize as a word in irreligious swearing. The dictionary uses vulgar for generic swear words. Coarse? Obscene? Indecent?

But I'm glad you've been enlightened on scat. That could have got embarrassing. I'm sure we've all done it. I spent several years in my mid-teens thinking "Cracking a fat" was "doing a fart". This led to some embarrassing occasions, but people were too embarrassed on my behalf to tell me, just in case I had actually cracked a fat.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

living on the edge of the law.

no, no, no - that's the mighty Avon you are living on the edge of!
    here's a picture of Avonside in better days
    (recently purchased by the Chch Art Gallery )
    ;- )
    (TOTH to Peter D)

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to st ephen,

egg is good

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Righto. Here's the list I'm going to send to Hadyn for the voting form. I've left out some words/phrases which seemed to thematically similar to others, and some neologisms that seemed to have been thought up on the spot.

Let me know if there's anything you think must be there, or doesn't need to be there:

#allwhites
    #eqnz
    Aftershock
    Anand Satyanand
    Brown town
    Commiserbrations
    Double Rainbow
    Entitlements
    Eyjafjallajökull
    Hashtag
    Hobbit
    HoSteria!!!!!
    iPad
    Liquefaction
    Nudity Clauses
    Pike River
    Refudiate
    Relaxed
    SBW
    Super Mayor
    Top Kill (BP Oil Spill)
    Transparency
    Twatcock
    Vajazzling
    vuvuzela
    Wellywood
    Wikileaks

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan,

Ooo, actually, Spill is a good one. Encapsulates both Aussie Politics, and BP. And the earthquake, I guess, if you had open vessels lying around.

First ←Older Page 1 7 8 9 10 11 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.