OnPoint by Keith Ng

Read Post

OnPoint: Election 2011: GO!

848 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 30 31 32 33 34 Newer→ Last

• BenWilson, in reply to Sacha,

Actually, you're right, and just reading back there's plenty of baiting going on about pitchfork waving, toilets, government-job-bludgers, etc. Some tit-for-tat too, so perhaps it's time to just leave it.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to BenWilson,

talking about turnips is safe. they're really good for the economy, you know

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Martin Lindberg,

Mashed turnips are totally under-rated

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

We do a lot of mashed turnips and swede at our place. My father, from Taranaki, entered marriage with the idea that they (and corn on the cob - mmmmmm) were only good for feeding animals. My mother, bless her cotton socks, either convinced him that children are indeed animals or, more likely, that they were cheap food sources for 7 of the afore-mentioned animals. Either way, I have enjoyed these delicious veges since I was a sboolboy.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Dismal Soyanz,

Turnips + politics = Blackadder

Blackadder: Oh, come on, Baldrick, you're going to be an MP, for God's sake! I'll just put fraud and sexual deviancy. Now; minimum bribe level...
    Baldrick: One turnip. Oh, hang on, I don't want to price myself out of the market.
    Blackadder: Baldrick, I've always been meaning to ask: Do you have any ambitions in life apart from the acquisition of turnips?
    Baldrick: Er, no.
    Blackadder: So what would you do if I gave you a thousand pounds?
    Baldrick: I'd get a little turnip of my own.
    Blackadder: So what would you do if I gave you a million pounds?
    Baldrick: Oh, that's different. I'd get a great big turnip in the country.

Wellington • Since Nov 2010 • 310 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to nzlemming,

he's not going to change his invincibly ignorant viewpoint

Well spoken.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to Sacha,

I blame turnips for a lot, actually. They're all through our code, one of the programmers was a Blackadder fetishist. It's very frustrating to debug:

for(turnip=potato;turnip<swede;turnip+=carrot) rutabaga[turnip]->parsnip %= turnip;

I should hate all vegetables, but for some reason the turnips were always the loop counter, so I got especially hating on them.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Martin Lindberg, in reply to BenWilson,

for(turnip=potato;turnip<swede;turnip+=carrot) rutabaga[turnip]->parsnip %= turnip;

sackable offence

• Matthew Poole, in reply to BenWilson,

That's quite the collection of mixed vegetables.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

This thread now makes me want mashed Southland swede with butter and pepper. So I suppose it was good for something.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole, in reply to Danielle,

This thread now makes me want mashed Southland swede with butter and pepper. So I suppose it was good for something.

Sounds like a market opportunity. I wonder if they could export that along with a self-composting toilet, so that they deal with both ends of the consumption chain.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams,

It's very frustrating to debug:

Companion planting? Delphinium, Larkspur, Mustard apparently.

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• Martin Lindberg, in reply to Danielle,

Southland swede

So, what's a Southland swede? Is it just turnips grown in Southland?

• Dismal Soyanz, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

My guess is that they are pronounced "turrrrnip".

Wellington • Since Nov 2010 • 310 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I'm not so sure Dex is trolling.

Still, haven't popped in for a while and I am feeling the need to pull my dreads out already. ARRGH!!
    :)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Danielle, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

So, what’s a Southland swede? Is it just turnips grown in Southland?

Ah! The tubes tell me that it's a rutabaga! (Another entry for my future 'things I thought were different in America but are actually the same' recipe translation cookbook.)

Anyway, my family swears by the superior flavour of swede grown in Southland. Something to do with the frost? (Obviously, I don't know anything about vegetable growth.)

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to Sacha,

That is a myth - Govt Debt was never down to zero ever - if we look at overseas debt you can refer to this table:

http://www.rbnz.govt.nz/statistics/extfin/e3/he3.xls

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1224 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

What should I do? Close the thread? Make Keith write another one? Suggest to Dexter that he's made his point, repeatedly?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• DexterX,

A plan so cunning you could put a tale on it and call it a weasel.

Labour build its election platform and get their campaign under a full head of steam based on opposition to the sale of SOEs and power generation.

National could point Labour rorted power consumers and that they increased power bills by 72% and that Labour want to retain power generation to help fund reckless excess and wasteful ways.

It would be a masterstroke for National to then announce they have decided not to offload power generation in the middle of the Labour's campaign efforts whilst also announcing plans to reform power further. This would leave Labour with not as much to offer save for taxes increases

• Islander,

Southland swede *is* rutabaga (my favourite swearword) and yes, it does need the cool cool temps to bring its sugar load to perfection. Then, you steam it (so it’s not watery at all) and mash just before it’s perfectly tender, add salted butter, and fresh ground white pepper, and leave until the butter is melted & coalesced-

droooool

(goes extremely well with titi, and – as fritters – also with crayfish, bluecod & oysters -just add a leetle greenery – kareko/tiny brussel spouts /steamed winter cabbage v. finely sliced/good ol’ silver beet ditto and drooooooooooool)

ETA -swedes are also called turnips, even south, but generally we dont like to confuse them with the wee -but quite strong- white turnips.

Just incidentally, Pakeha are called 'takata pora' in the South: 'pora' is the Southern name for turnip, and the polite version of the term is "they introduced the turnip" (which they did.) The impolite verson...

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• DexterX,

I watched the house today to check out the form, Chris Finlayson and Bill English impressed, the opposition did not present as a credible alternative let alone an effective opposition.

• Steve Parks,

I believe I got mildly told off for noting the pattern many pages ago.

That was me, sorry Sacha, I can see your point. But I certainly didn't mean it as a telling off! I just disagreed with your assessment.

Paul has tried hard to prove me wrong, but he's just an ideologue who is, as nzlemming suggested, invincibly ignorant - on this issue at least. He's made c.180 posts and not been noted as a troll before AFAIK. He links to his website and provides an email address. Trolls don't usually do that, do they? He's clearly not a "lil'p" type troll, anyway. I think he's effectively been forced into behaving like a troll due to his stubbornness and dogmatic outlook.

I'd close the thread, Russell.

Wellington • Since May 2007 • 1165 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Done.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 30 31 32 33 34 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.