Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Again: Is everyone okay?

897 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 14 15 16 17 18 36 Newer→ Last

• Russell Brown,

With the appropriate caveat that it's not important right now (but it does speak to the heart of that city) it seems that the RWC, and probably any other games, are off the agenda. AMI Stadium is stable as a structure but Stuff say the surrounding liquefaction will take months to sort out.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to Che Tibby,

that one thread has dispelled all and any melancholy i may have felt this morning.

It gets better every time I venture back. Coddingtonswallop gold

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• recordari, in reply to Matthew Poole,

$4.8b. It's got $6.5b, $1.5b is accounted for with September, another $1.5b is the "excess" on yesterday, that leaves $3.5b to cover whatever costs there are above $4.8b from yesterday.

I ran out of fingers. So that means they don't have enough money, right?

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

the surrounding liquefaction will take months to sort out

to say nothing of the drastic reduction in the city's hotel accommodation

• Dismal Soyanz, in reply to Matthew Poole,

Most likely this section will be invoked.

Wellington • Since Nov 2010 • 310 posts Report

• Matthew Poole, in reply to Russell Brown,

AMI Stadium is stable as a structure but Stuff say the surrounding liquefaction will take months to sort out.

Plus, of course, if there's liquefaction in the vicinity the long-term stability of the structure is questionable.
    As if Christchurch needed more bad news right now.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report

• Matthew Poole, in reply to recordari,

Not quite. Effective for yesterday there’s reinsurance up to $4.8b in claims, except that the EQC has to pay for the first $1.5b. So $3.3b of $4.8b is paid by reinsurers, $1.5b is paid by EQC, and anything above $4.8b is paid by EQC. It's like a policy limit on your insurance, along with an excess. You pay the excess, your insurance pays up to the limit of cover, but if your excess plus the limit of cover isn't enough you have to pay the rest.

Right now they have enough money, but the scale of damage is so much more enormous than September that it’s entirely possible that the reinsurance limit will be breached and then EQC’s solvency could become a problem.

Thanks for that link, DS. Hadn’t looked at the legislative situation on the matter.

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Sacha,

Coddingtonswallop gold

Joe Wylie has popped up in the comments there - yay!

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• Russell Brown, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Joe Wylie has popped up in the comments there – yay!

+1!

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• recordari, in reply to Sacha,

Oh I give up. I'm going back to Facebook where people who hate my politics at least give me decent, rational, intelligent argument.

Sheesh!

God that thread is hilarious. There isn't enough irony left in the world to cope. I hope she has irony-clad insurance.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Joe Wylie has popped up in the comments there – yay!

+1!

Cool, that's Joe ,where's Ian and if anyone knows my great Uncle Ronnie?

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Danielle, in reply to recordari,

God that thread is hilarious.

I am going to start a band and call it 'Appropriate Kerning'.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report

• BenWilson, in reply to Danielle,

You thie
    f.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report

• recordari,

Is it Ok to quote off other blogs?

Joe Wylie wrote;

Gotta admit that trivial liquifaction issues have rather distracted my tiny mind from the noble struggle against the creeping tide of post-modernist backsliding.

Hey Joe, could you come and use up your brilliance over here? Glad you are Ok, but that thread hardly seems worthy of your comments.

Mind you, as we have now let it take hold of this one, guess we should revert to the issue at hand.

Sofie, hope your great Uncle is found safe and well, and it would be good to hear from, or about, Ian.

• George Darroch,

TVNZNews: Officer in command Dave Lawrie says he does not believe the CTV site is now surviveable. #eqnz

My heart is liquifacting.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report

• Andre Alessi, in reply to Sacha,

It gets better every time I venture back.

I don't understand how people can say libertarians lack empathy. I mean, she used words like "depressive". I can feel her pain from here.

Devonport, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 864 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Sofie, hope your great Uncle is found safe and well,

Me too. I know my Aunty ( 5 of 6 found safe, but now living in damaged housing) will be onto it and Papanui seems to be a hub (that is their suburb) in which missing are being reported, collated and registered. When they are elderly and live alone is when a touch of anxiety is held close to heart. Still, 2 houses out, 5 people safe, that's a good thing right? :|

• Sacha, in reply to Danielle,

'Appropriate Kerning'

Yes, I felt compelled to congratulate Mr Tibby on that one.
    And on:

i say we chuck a camoflage blanket over that hole she's digging!
    hopefully a bear will fall in it

• Matthew Poole, in reply to George Darroch,

Officer in command Dave Lawrie says he does not believe the CTV site is now surviveable

Yeah, famous last words. Earthquake (ETA: and building collapse in general) history is replete with examples of people who shouldn’t have lived, but did.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Earthquake history is replete with examples of people who shouldn’t have lived, but did.

And the more people that hear or read that ,the better! Stay positive! Have a bit of faith and hope.

• Ross Mason,

I have to say though.
    The video of the cliff falling at Sumner.
    ....and the guy frantically sweeping the road. Surreal.
    Words like jousting...windmills...peeing ...upwind cropped up

But

Given the extent (unknown to him at the time) of what was falling all around him.
    What was he doing?
    Doing what he could.

Good on him.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report

• Jackie Clark,

Oh dear. I've been watching and listening as much as possible really - initially with worry about our friends in Chch and my own dear beloved Kath. And then with disbelief, like all of you. Teary-eyed, of course. But this afternoon was a salient lesson in how older generations coped with massive worry and loss. I had been trying to ring Kath all day to no avail, and finally got through about 3.30. Along with trying to find out what they really needed - batteries by the way, which I am going to see about couriering in the next couple of days - it transpires that Kathy had been getting many text messages from worried friends, of course, which she has not been able to reply to, what with cellphone towers being knocked out and the like. So I ask if she, or her very elderly mum, wants me to ring anyone for them - she gives me a list of phone numbers, one of which is her godmother's up here. Fine. So I ring this very elderly couple to say that their friend Mrs D is okay. The elderly gentleman who answered the phone took a moment, cleared his throat, and said, very poignantly, I thought, how worried they had been. And that was all he said before he said goodbye.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Leaking.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Simon Grigg, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Joe Wylie has popped up in the comments there - yay!

That's wonderful news. Joe may well know about Ian, I hope

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report

• Gareth Ward,

I know it's a phrase... and it was on another site... and it's February... but "hopefully a bear will fall in it" for Word of the Year please.

Auckland, NZ • Since Mar 2007 • 1727 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 14 15 16 17 18 36 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.