Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Again: Is everyone okay?

897 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 15 16 17 18 19 36 Newer→ Last

• Simon Grigg,

Rather bizarre and quite offensive theorising on both the RWC and, worse, the brain drain to Australia (educated New Zealanders will leave the nation in droves after this) on the ABC at the moment.

Really don't need this anymore.

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Simon Grigg,

educated New Zealanders will leave the nation in droves after this

Not educated enough to know about Australia's several natural disaster risks, it seems.

I can't say I was very impressed with what I saw on TV3 (hence on ABC, yes?), especially with regard to the recycling of footage, some of which could give away news of deaths to unsuspecting next of kin. RNZ on the other hand has been nothing short of brilliant.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

(Although I understand in this case you're probably referring to the actual ABC.)

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Found him and 2 others apparently that I was unaware of. So 2 houses down ,one chimney caved in, and 8 are all accounted for alive!! :)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Simon Grigg, in reply to giovanni tiso,

TV3s coverage yesterday was all we had up here and it was (trying to think of a word as wonderful seems wrong) up to a point and then seemed to go into some sort of loop.

ABC switched to TVNZ around 4 our time - 10 yours.

At one stage yesterday I could get TVNZ direct and watched that.

However, TVNZ seems to have gone back into geoblocking mode again today so I went back to ABC.

No more.

RNZ on the other hand has been nothing short of brilliant.

Indeed, and the feed has been running through our house for much of the last day, but sometimes you just need to see.

ABC's theory - the surmise was based on economics but I really don't think we need to give it air here.

• nzlemming, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

Excellent. Multo pleased for you.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd, in reply to giovanni tiso,

the recycling of footage, some of which could give away news of deaths to unsuspecting next of kin.

There was a tweet which I hope was wrong about a young man learning of his father's death by recognising a body in TV footage today.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

There was one image in particular, having to do with a car, that was just incredibly upsetting - not sure if it was on TVOne or 3 though. And to be fair it was also the hazard of live reporting at that point.

• Russell Brown,

A lighter moment … what sort of plants might the owner have been growing in the attic of this now-ruined house?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Comparing yesterday afternoon's coverage, TV3 had that early head start and grabbed some compelling on-the-street footage. Hilary Barry pulled it all together wonderfully as the day progressed into night.

Too often when I switched over to check, TVNZ had static and rather musty graphics while someone talked to them over the phone. Radio without pictures, only not as good as RNZ. Later they played clips behind the invisible talking heads, but still with a half screen cluttered with meaningless graphics like a picture of a phone with their logo overlaid on it. Not as good brand reinforcement as familiar presenters' faces, frankly.

By the 6 o'clock news slot, TVNZ seemed to be focused more on relaying pretty much verbatim the official government word while TV3 recycled those experiential clips but didn't seem to cover the media conferences as much.

I didn't watch both TV channels properly, or RNZ much (in the face of the entrancing Twitter feed), so I'd take what I've said with a bag o salt.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Simon Grigg, in reply to giovanni tiso,

There was one image in particular, having to do with a car, that was just incredibly upsetting - not sure if it was on TVOne or 3 though

3 I think

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Simon Grigg,

the brain drain to Australia (educated New Zealanders will leave the nation in droves after this) on the ABC at the moment.

Which would be faintly amusing, if I didn't have an expat schoolmate who is having a rather tough time rebuilding the house and business that burned down while servicing a mortgage. Anyone who tells you that Australia is miraculously untouched by recession is being highly selective about where they direct the rose-hued Ray-Bans.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Anyone who tells you that Australia is miraculously untouched by recession is being highly selective about where they direct the rose-hued Ray-Bans.

No untouched, but not terribly badly affected in truth. Modelling I've seen suggests skill shortages are fast upon Australia and you can bet that employers will be actively recruiting from NZ. Still, perhaps this is for another thread.

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Ian Dalziel is okay! Just confirmed with David.

Yay!

Also, David and family have already booked to come up to Auckland to stay with his mum for the foreseeable future.

I'm thinking that we should do a Great Blend or something up here and raise money there. Stay tuned.

• Megan Wegan, in reply to Russell Brown,

I’m thinking that we should do a Great Blend or something up here and raise money there. Stay tuned.

I'm in. Especially as I won't be able to be at the Welly one, if it goes ahead <shakes fist while looking slightly embarrassed at immense self-involvement>.

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Russell Brown,

what a fantastic idea, Russell - although it does make me giggle just a little bit to imagine David trying to fend off all the well meaning hugs

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Megan Wegan,

OMG! I have just realised you'll be here in April - so that means mega social whirl for you, and then this! Don't mind me, I'm just always ecstatic to spend more quality time with my PAS loved ones.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to Jackie Clark,

what a fantastic idea, Russell – although it does make me giggle just a little bit to imagine David trying to fend off all the well meaning hugs

Actually, at Emma’s 2 weekends ago, Me, Emma, and Isabel all insisted on hugging him (as congratulations on Polly’s arrival.)

He seemed to simultaneously love and hate it. It was adorable. I got to play with Bob too.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Megan Wegan,

I’m in. Especially as I won’t be able to be at the Welly one, if it goes ahead <shakes fist while looking slightly embarrassed at immense self-involvement>.

My thought is that we have the flights booked for it for Mar 10 -- I'd written the copy and we were going to launch this morning -- so we should do it, but make it and the Auckland one a fundraiser. Fly David and Emma and families to both.

I still haven't heard from Blair Parkes, who was down as the musical talent. Worries me a bit.

• Megan Wegan, in reply to Russell Brown,

Oy.Yeah, that is worrying.

I think you could make the Welly one a fundraiser too - there's enough of us here. (I arrive back from Samoa that night. I'll make it if I can.)

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Paul Williams,

Still, perhaps this is for another thread.

Quite, but what a tacky hook for giving that zombie meme another shamble round the block. The reasons for brains draining off to foreign shores are as complex as they were when a good chunk of my whanau became Nagati Bondi over thirty years ago.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Jackie Clark,

what a fantastic idea, Russell – although it does make me giggle just a little bit to imagine David trying to fend off all the well meaning hugs

No hug, no money.

Heh.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Megan Wegan,

I think you could make the Welly one a fundraiser too – there’s enough of us here. (I arrive back from Samoa that night. I’ll make it if I can.)

Yes, that too. We have those flights booked. Hopefully we can find a kindly ear at Air NZ and convert the others.

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Russell Brown,

Yes, that too. We have those flights booked.

So was my booking at the Grand Chancellor - and every damn time I see those pictures...

• Megan Wegan, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

So was my booking at the Grand Chancellor – and every damn time I see those pictures…

I want to make a joke, but I am being nice, so I won't.

First ←Older Page 1 15 16 17 18 19 36 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.