Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Limping Onwards

968 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 8 9 10 11 12 39 Newer→ Last

• Paul Williams,

Policies aren’t sufficient, unless you wed them to values and a narrative.

I entirely agree. They're important to some, and I'd like to think they provide a baseline for popular and informed discussion, but ultimately politicians need to convey a sense of purpose and understanding.

In 2008 we knew that John Key was a self-made multi-millionaire and that he would use his economic brilliance to bring about a ‘step-change’ in the economy

And this is the deceit that will undo him. I don't discount his appeal, but it's not nearly sufficient and the NZ economy can't be independently remedied by his willing it so. Perhaps it is because it directly relates to me, but I clearly remember Key wandering around Wellington Stadium promising no more teary goodbyes. Yeah right.

that’s not the real problem – it’s that nobody even knows any of their policies. That’s the problem, and that’s why they’re failing

I think that's premature. Ideally, Labour would have clearly opened up a couple of significant points of difference and they've not, yet. I expect Grant Robertson will in Health and I'd like to see Mallard back in Education - he had the better of Tolley and education is a traditionally strong point of difference. In ACC, I expect National will open another point of difference too.

Where I disagree with the view you're expressing is the sense of it being too late. It's not. Phil's situation with Hughes was terrible. The ongoing dissent is not helpful. A circuit breaker is needed and I'm still inclined to agree with dc_red earlier. It mightn't be the Leader who has to change.

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Clint Fern,

I suspect your dream of a single party to help the Nats govern would be NZ First which might scupper the asset selloff.

Imagine the desperation of that being a plausible tactical voting possibility if the others don't get their shit together by election time.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Jan Farr, in reply to Sacha,

Or because it was presented and managed in a forgettable way.

I think I'm trying to point out that the voter has some responsibility here.

Carterton • Since Apr 2008 • 395 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Nick Kearney,

Oops, you need an edit function.

We have one, right next to the reply tag (you have to hover the cursor over it for some unknown reason) ETA (edited to add ;-)) You have only 15 mins to act.
    Are you the ex ACT Nick Kearney?

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Paul Williams,

And this is the deceit that will undo him.

Not if it is so ineptly personalised as it was in 2008. Hence the need for strong strategy and comms expertise.

• Jan Farr, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Whoops! Parker.

Thanks - I thought maybe you were being ironic and I'd lost my sense of humour.

Carterton • Since Apr 2008 • 395 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Jan Farr,

I think I'm trying to point out that the voter has some responsibility here.

I'd like to think so. The idea that the narrow focus in our media and the difficulty in reaching the public are wholesale 'excuses' nicely exonerates society from taking any more interest in politics than absolutely necessary in order to locate a polling booth correctly on election day. I keep returning to Jesson's analysis of the hollowness of New Zealand society in this respect - I think it still bears true, and it's a genuine constraint on our political class, much as politics itself has contributed to it over time. But I'd like to see people acknowledge that the interplay is much more complex than "if you can't communicate your policies then it's your fault", or that it's up to the parties alone to agitate on the matters that matter in elections.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Nick Kearney,

That was in reply to this

Another cool function, Nick: if you highlight some text before you click Reply, it is automatically typed in quote tags for you.

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Jacqui Dunn,

Read it t'other day ,questioned it myself . didn't check but, said I heard, not that I knew.
    Ne'er mind eh?
    and what Steve said earlier,(hi there :) I genuinely see basically pretty honest folk of the ones I have met in Labour. I do feel I see their awkwardness sometimes also.I do think Goff is in that group. So should they be different for the sake of politics? I don't know but don't think I would change who I was.Mastering the art of bullshit? Fuck that.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to giovanni tiso,

the interplay is much more complex

Sure, and civics education would help. But implying the failure to engage is all down to the voters or media as Curran did doesn't leave much room for constructive action. And who wants to support whingers.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Rex Widerstrom,

After throwing up in my mouth, I’m now seriously contemplating sticking a fork in both eyes before I have to read some inane lynchmob blog comment or letter to the editor citing this pile of putresence as “evidence” or “research”.

Dalrymple trades on his genuine experience in prisons to a remarkable degree. I read a couple of things he wrote about the New Zealand justice system after his visit here, and they had all the factual rigour of a conversation down the pub. He was repeatedly just wrong. But I presume people who read him are inclined to believe him.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Clint Fern, in reply to Sacha,

Imagine the desperation of that being a plausible tactical voting possibility

No, I couldn't go there. And I mean no as in the dictionary definition not the Winston definition.

Nelson • Since Jul 2010 • 64 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to giovanni tiso,

I think I’m trying to point out that the voter has some responsibility here.

And people should take the responsibility to vote. I am sick and tired of people telling me they don't vote because they don't like politicians, ignorance I tell you.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams, in reply to Sacha,

Not if it is so ineptly personalised as it was in 2008. Hence the need for strong strategy and comms expertise.

Labour had three terms Sacha, first time ever. I caught the end of the campaign and actually thought the fact that as Labour went out, they bought so many new people in was pretty good. This isn't a simple tactical matter, it's about rebuilding a party around talented and credible people. I suspect it's why so many people are so disappointed by Hughes. Of course, I'd also rather they were now in a better position to contest the next election too.

• Sacha, in reply to Steve Barnes,

they don't vote because

.. it only encourages them

talented and credible people.

I'm left wondering about the back room, not the faces out front

• Nick Kearney, in reply to Steve Barnes,

Are you the ex ACT Nick Kearney?

Yes, which is why I commented (sarcastically) on the absurd suggestion David paid for his list position.

And one who can also now use the highlight text/quote function, and the reply function all at once.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 73 posts Report Reply

I'd also rather they were now in a better position to contest the next election

Any musings about why they aren't?

• Paul Williams, in reply to giovanni tiso,

I keep returning to Jesson’s analysis of the hollowness of New Zealand society in this respect – I think it still bears true, and it’s a genuine constraint on our political class, much as politics itself has contributed to it over time.

Gio, having only lived in the lovely colonial westernised places I have - Australia and NZ - I understand the point you make but have no experience of it. I hang with a political group too. Are you saying that in European nations there is a deeper engagement? I'd bloody love that!

• Clint Fern, in reply to Nick Kearney,

Yes, which is why I commented (sarcastically) on the absurd suggestion David paid for his list position.

What you mean that Hide fell for the "I'm not a dead baby identity stealer" and "the cheque's in the post" as well?

Nelson • Since Jul 2010 • 64 posts Report Reply

• Nick Kearney,

...coming into the Lions Den I know....just how I like it.

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Sacha,

But implying the failure to engage is all down to the voters or media as Curran did doesn't leave much room for constructive action.

And saying outright that it's completely the opposite, as Lew does, seems unhelpful to me as well.

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Paul Williams,

Are you saying that in European nations there is a deeper engagement? I'd bloody love that!

In Italy there is a much deeper engagement and I think we can all agree that the results speak for themselves. (But no, seriously, it's enormously complicated. Still, there are aspects of the wretched politics of my home country that I'd gladly import wholesale.)

• Nick Kearney, in reply to Clint Fern,

Nah, I won't. Not even at 11:26pm when I'm barely functional.

• Paul Williams, in reply to Sacha,

Any musings about why they aren’t?

I don't feel sufficiently well informed or connected to comment on this Sacha. I've not lived in NZ for almost eight years.

First ←Older Page 1 8 9 10 11 12 39 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.