Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Orcon Great Blend 2011 in association with Mix and Mash!

93 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• Bart Janssen, in reply to Megan Wegan,

Just, you know, when you’re ready. The rest of us aren’t waiting with bated breath, or anything.

Emma has been giving Russell lessons in being a tease, however it turns out, that was the degree Russell was doing when he spent some of his time at Ak Uni, B.Ts hons.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report

• Rich Lock,

Shout-out to the brewery whose name I forget

Hallertau. If the weather's nice, their Riverhead base is worth a visit for a couple of afternoon beers in the sun.

My crazy German friend Albrecht was giving them advice behind the scenes, and since he holds a German Braumeister's qualification...gutes Bier über alles.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Rich Lock,

I want to know why you didn't introduce yourself, Sir. It's very frustrating for a person like me who wants to know who everyone is, not to know!

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report

Hallertau. If the weather's nice, their Riverhead base is worth a visit for a couple of afternoon beers in the sun.

Great food too.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report

• Rich Lock, in reply to Jackie Clark,

I want to know why you didn't introduce yourself, Sir.

Well, thanks to unavoidable domestic duties, I arrived so fashionably late you could have given me my own spread in GQ, and so I missed the initial meet-n-greet part of the evening.

Anyway, the enthusiam with which you hugged me when you left gave me the impression that you remembered me from a previous encounter. Or is that simply your SOP for encounters with tall, dark, handsome strangers?

• James Butler, in reply to 3410,

It’s very frustrating for a person like me who wants to know who everyone is, not to know!

Not to mention people like me, who rely on people like Jackie knowing everyone :-)

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report

• recordari, in reply to Rich Lock,

Anyway, the enthusiam with which you hugged me when you left gave me the impression that you remembered me from a previous encounter.

I can provide verification of this encounter, although my feelings of sanctimony for receiving two farewell hugs are slightly diminished.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to BenWilson,

Emma, sorry about the dire nightlife of Thursday night Auckland

Seconded.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Sacha,

Emma, sorry about the dire nightlife of Thursday night Auckland

I was thinking along those lines when I stepped outside onto Auckland's "Main Street" for a bit of peace and quiet last night.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• Russell Brown, in reply to BenWilson,

Russell, only you could possibly fail to score legal highs in Auckland. You’re not missing much, though.

Oh, I scored. I had to walk further down to Cosmic Corner. Bought 1.25 grams of Dream, after asking for something mellow. Interestingly, they had Kronic at half price and I got the impression people weren't buying it.

I quite liked it ($20), but it's very linear -- exact same high all the way through.

I was also a bit surprised at how expensive it was.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Russell Brown, in reply to Rich Lock,

Shout-out to the brewery whose name I forget

Hallertau. If the weather’s nice, their Riverhead base is worth a visit for a couple of afternoon beers in the sun.

I thought the pale ale in particular was great, and consequently drank quite a bit of it. They were really nice people to deal with too. If they're up for it, I'll cheerfully work with them again.

• Rich Lock, in reply to Russell Brown,

consequently drank quite a bit of it.

It ran out fairly early on.

Just sayin'.

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Rich Lock,

See, this is where I have to admit that I knew you but I didn't know it was you, if you know what I mean. Blame the menopause. I do. xxx

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report

• Steve Barnes,

Yes, a great night out, I've had worse
    As have these poor souls...
    The worst gig we ever played: musicians on their on-stage lows

I don't think anyone in Shrewsbury was familiar with our work. There were four of us on stage, and four people in the audience, including the promoter, who was crying.

Ed Nash, Bombay Bicycle Club
    Shrewsbury, 2008

• George Darroch,

For that reason I went over and thanked Shayne Carter afterwards. The room was a little large and chair cluttered for dancing...

I don’t think anyone in Shrewsbury was familiar with our work. There were four of us on stage, and four people in the audience, including the promoter, who was crying

Jimmy Cliff describes a similar experience, except that his band decided to have fun.

I once went to a Mint Chicks gig in Napier. Excluding bar staff, there were 5 people in the audience. Kody Nielsen was still, literally, hanging from the rafters and exploding with energy.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report

• Russell Brown, in reply to George Darroch,

For that reason I went over and thanked Shayne Carter afterwards. The room was a little large and chair cluttered for dancing…

Shayne joked to me at soundcheck: "So, when everyone starts going downstairs, that's when I start?"

And I was a bit worried at one point that that what was happening, but he made it work. By the end of the evening, I think some tables had declared turangawaewae status.

• BenWilson, in reply to Russell Brown,

I quite liked it ($20), but it's very linear -- exact same high all the way through.

They're not all the same, the range of effects is much greater than I've ever experienced with the real thing. The duration seemed in general much shorter.

I was also a bit surprised at how expensive it was.

Yup, much the same as actual dope. Price warring did seem to be beginning, just before it was canned. I got 3g of one for $15 from the diary which was superior in every way to Kronic at twice the price/volume.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report

• Steve Barnes, in reply to BenWilson,

Yup, much the same as actual dope. Price warring did seem to be beginning, just before it was canned.

So what interest has Hair Dunne got in the cashflow of gangs for him to be so determined to protect their patch?
    Was he so impressed with the product he bought the company?. Shades of Victor Kiam?

He first made his fortune as the President and CEO of Remington Products, which he famously purchased after his wife bought him his first electric shaver.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.