Up Front by Emma Hart

Read Post

Up Front: How About Now?

196 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 Newer→ Last

• nzlemming, in reply to Lilith __,

We're not actually sure whether Ian's posts are due to the drugs he takes, or the drugs he should have taken...

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to Jeremy Andrew,

Awesome!

• Jeremy Andrew,

Of course now I feel deprived that my parents didn't cave into my grandparents and send me off to Sunday school, so I could get kicked out like all the cool kids :-)

Hamiltron - City of the F… • Since Nov 2006 • 900 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to Jeremy Andrew,

Oh wow! I finally made it to 'cool kid' status. All my life I've waited for this *sniff*

I'd like to thank the Academy, and my teachers, and my parents and the guy that does the lighting...

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to nzlemming,

Lithium?

due to the drugs he takes, or the drugs he should have taken…

Chance would be a fine thing, and what with the Selenium deficiency in Canterbury my natural lunacy is kept in check - well I might neck the odd Rheineck (or what's on special) - but in light of the news of Amy Winehouse's death this morning I might cut way back...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Amy Winehouse’s death

What a waste. So much talent.

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to Jeremy Andrew,

Of course now I feel deprived that my parents didn't cave into my grandparents and send me off to Sunday school, so I could get kicked out like all the cool kids :-)

Ya, my writing career is severely hampered by not having suffered enough as a child. With an atheist psychologist Dad and an Anglican (which seems to be the kind of Christianity where you don't even have to believe in God) humanities teacher Mum, God was less likely to come up than Freud, and that never happened except with dismissive snorts (Dad was a behaviourist in those days). I think I went to Sunday school once, thought it was dull, and said so, and didn't have to go again. It wasn't that it was so particularly dull for a school, but putting it on Sunday was a pretty dumb choice. Would I rather be playing with my mates or getting lectured in a church? Dur.

I think that's a big part of my tolerant attitude towards religions generally. I've had so little dealings that they seem like a foreign culture, and to dismiss them, bigotry. My approach to them for my children will be to treat religion as an anthropological study, so the kids will be exposed to a big range of them, compare and contrast. They can rate them on many criteria - like the coolness of the outfits, their architectural style, the food, the song and dance routines, their art. Not something to spend a great deal of time on, unless they develop an interest, though.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Isabel Hitchings,

When, at the tender age of nine, I lost my faith and quit Sunday school (I went with a friend with, I suspect, the main purpose of giving my atheist parents a couple of hours off) they begged me to come back and be in the Christmas play.

Christchurch • Since Jul 2007 • 719 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __,

Not sure if this counts as a deus ex machina , or just magical thinking, but this little button might make us all feel better.

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• James Butler, in reply to BenWilson,

Anglican (which seems to be the kind of Christianity where you don’t even have to believe in God)

I was still a good Anglican long after I ceased believing, which is probably one reason it took me so long to notice that it had happened. The choir I'm in sings an Evensong every month at St Matthews in the City, and although I can't bring myself to say the spoken prayers any more, I'm not at all conflicted about being associated with one of the most liberal, inclusive congregations I've ever come across (plus it helps that it's a beautiful building with a beautiful acoustic).

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report Reply

• Martin Lindberg,

Nice story in the New York Times about the first round of same-sex weddings over the weekend.

ETA: Money quote:

Many of the newly married had already sought every legal protection and held any symbolic ceremony available to same-sex couples. But it was never sufficient, they said. They wanted to marry, just like their parents and friends had.

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

• Emma Hart, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

Nice story in the New York Times about the first round of same-sex weddings over the weekend.

Srsly, same-sex wedding photos always make me cry, and I make no apology for that. For me, this is putting meaning and significance back into marriage.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report Reply

• Isabel Hitchings, in reply to Emma Hart,

Srsly, same-sex wedding photos always make me cry, and I make no apology for that.

The attached video was a complete sniffle-fest. I am especially touched by the older couples who have waited decades for this.

Christchurch • Since Jul 2007 • 719 posts Report Reply

• Danielle, in reply to Isabel Hitchings,

same-sex wedding photos always make me cry

I started bawling at the photo at the *top of the page*. That's speedy even for me.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Greville Whittle, in reply to Isabel Hitchings,

The attached video was a complete sniffle-fest. I am especially touched by the older couples who have waited decades for this.

I agree totally, the impression I got from the article was of older people and long term couples that had just been waaaaiiting for so fucking long to get married.

In the video I got to the 'I never thought this would happen in my lifetime" line and I bawled like a baby.

Hamiltron • Since Oct 2008 • 50 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Isabel Hitchings,

Quite - I keep saying to people who ask "why the hell do you care so much about marriage equality" that they should do the numbers. I'm turning forty next year; and two weeks tomorrow David is hitting sixty-six. When you've got fewer days before you than behind it concentrates the mind.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to Danielle,

I started bawling at the photo at the *top of the page*. That’s speedy even for me.

I haven't been able to bring myself to look at the photos yet. I just _know_ I am going to cry.

One thing that apparently never occurred to me in this whole "becoming a celebrant bizzo, is that I've cried at ever wedding I have ever been to. Problematic.

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• Greville Whittle, in reply to Megan Wegan,

One thing that apparently never occurred to me in this whole “becoming a celebrant bizzo, is that I’ve cried at ever wedding I have ever been to. Problematic.

Only if we redefine problematic to mean awesomesauce. I doubt you'd start crying until after the vows, and to have a celebrant that's so into your wedding would be great.

Hamiltron • Since Oct 2008 • 50 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Lilith __,

Liked the wee button - agnostic as to its effect!

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

The photos that really affected me were the ones of the older people who had obviously waited such a long time for that moment. Magic.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Hebe,

Being raised a Roman Catholic (definitely capitalised), and having a racy priest who drove a Citroen Pallas in a tiny South Island village, we went to Sunday school on Friday nights.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.