Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The scandal that keeps on giving

360 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 15 Newer→ Last

• Russell Brown, in reply to Hans Versluys,

This is not how we at Stratos TV got Aljazeera. When AJ English launched in November 2006 we immediately applied to have them included in our satellite programme mix and this was readily approved and arranged. As far as I know, Sky TV never approached AJE at the time of launch for inclusion in their pay platform

Thanks Hans. I've discussed this with JIm and added a correction to the originall comment. My bad, absolutely.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd, in reply to Sacha,

And we know it's true because of the wording of Key's refusal to talk about it.

Do we? Key is generally not on top of things without a minder and a briefing. And he dimly knows PMs shouldn't talk about the SIS. He's as likely if not more so to be covering up his ignorance of what's going on.

In fact, consider this. What we have here is a leak from an agent, not an official announcement. Perhaps someone senior decided there was no real story here (we don't know why), someone junior was pissed off enough to leak or maybe just got pissed down the pub and blabbed, and Key never heard about it until just now. He'd lose face if he confessed to being ignorant, so he stalled. I'd imagine he thinks that preserving his image of being in charge is in the (N)ational interest...

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

So there is hope for a Labour win then…

In England? Well, since Ed Miliband has perfect confidence in his own ex-Murdoch spin thing ( The Times in Tom Baldwin’s case) plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose. I know it raises its own problems, but I don't think the UK would be the only place whose politics and media would both benefit from the revolving door between Downing and Fleet Streets being bricked up.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Stephen Judd,

Do we? Key is generally not on top of things without a minder and a briefing. And he dimly knows PMs shouldn’t talk about the SIS. He’s as likely if not more so to be covering up his ignorance of what’s going on.

New statement: Key confirms multi-agency investigation -- which found no links to Mossad -- and denies all the other claims, including the "five passports".

Which makes his original performance look utterly hopeless.

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Stephen Judd,

Key never heard about it until just now. He’d lose face if he confessed to being ignorant, so he stalled. I’d imagine he thinks that preserving his image of being in charge is in the (N)ational interest…

You’re probably right – and 99% of the time that says nothing more than we elect human beings, with human sized egos. (Even Helen Clark, IMO, sometimes dug herself holes needlessly rather than just say “I don’t know” or “I was wrong”. It probably doesn’t help living in a media-political culture where any such admission is grasped on as a sign of weakness, lack of control or stupidity rather than a virtue.

Which makes his original performance look utterly hopeless.

Quite. "I don't know, but I'll ask for a briefing immediately and get back to you" -- only as hard to say as you choose to make it.

• Rich of Observationz,

What we have here is a leak from an agent

They aren’t known as leaky people. Perhaps the Israelis have been strongly spoken to on this and were thought to have flicked it off unsatisfactorily, so level 2 is to tell the media so as to make it clear that “we” knew they were up to something and don’t approve.

Or the plod found out. They’ll leak anything, if it serves their plan, or just gets them free beer.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

Allow me to dissociate myself from the idea that Mossad caused the earthquakes.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Stephen Judd,

Do we? Key is generally not on top of things without a minder and a briefing. And he dimly knows PMs shouldn't talk about the SIS. He's as likely if not more so to be covering up his ignorance of what's going on.

Sounds plausible, yes.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __,

Um, Russell or somebody posted a video of Jon Stewart's response to the NoTW scandal, and I wanted to share it with friends and now I can't find it. Can some kind person direct me to it?

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Pete Sime, in reply to Lilith __,

Dunedin • Since Apr 2008 • 171 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __, in reply to Pete Sime,

Oh brilliant, thanks Pete.

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• dc_red,

Key's first 'statement' was remarkably incoherent, even by his own low standards.

It was a tortured, Bolger-esque performance, with grammatical errors in every sentence.

Me thinks he lies.

Oil Patch, Alberta • Since Nov 2006 • 706 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to dc_red,

It was a tortured, Bolger-esque performance, with grammatical errors in every sentence.

Me thinks he lies.

Oh, Red… So, “grammatical errors” maketh a liar? If that’s the case, I’ll see you (and pretty much everyone else around here) in Dante’s Malebolge looong before the Prime Minister. Pack you togs - I believe the rivers of burning pitch and human excrement are lovely this time of year.

• Stephen Judd,

stephen walker: you're about a day late, I'm afaid. Check out today's Stuff.

In the last 24 hours, nothing new has come out of Tuletts story and some things are already being walked back.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/5317568/Yes-but-I-still-back-sources-on-Israelis

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/5317453/Israeli-man-had-nothing-to-do-with-nobody

It looks to me like the SIS is chasing at rumours.

I hope people aren't relaxing their normal suspicion of the SIS' motives and competence just because it's Israelis at the sharp end this time.

• Stephen Judd,

dc_red: that's what Key does when he's caught flat footed and ignorant. I agree, his performance was untruthful, but I don't think he's concealing anything more than the fact that he had no idea what was going on.

• Sacha, in reply to ,

Stephen, can you please link to the story and maybe quote a few highlights rather than paste the whole content here. It breaches copyright, for one thing.

• Paul Campbell,

I suspect that this story worries the hell out of Key and his minders, the last thing he wants is a "jewish PM won't stand up to Israel (like Helen did)" meme to get out there in an election year

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Pete Sime,

Enjoy

Brilliant

• Sacha,

It's unsurprising that the SIS would be more sensitive with the US trade negotiators meeting in Christchurch at the time of the quake. One wonders if the accompanying US security presence may have had any comptetitive/cooperative impact on their keenness too.

• Stephen Judd, in reply to Paul Campbell,

he last thing he wants is a “jewish PM won’t stand up to Israel (like Helen did)” meme

Oy. The thought of just how bad that could get makes me churn up inside. OTOH, the opposition has very decently always avoided any insinuations based on his ethnic affiliations. If such a view were to spread, I think it would erupt from TradeMe discussion boards etc, not from establishment sources.

• DCBCauchi,

Israeli spies, US trade negotiators, the SAS, white supremacist gangs, Maori and eco radicals, and a big fuck off earthquake sending all their plots awry. I sincerely hope half a dozen hacks are starting out on their potboilers at this very moment.

Since Feb 2011 • 320 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

is there a methyl in this madness?
    Espionage is not the only reason for multiple passports, In light of this article I wonder if other factors may be at play?
    More info here
    and another take here
    ...no accusations, but food for thought perhaps.

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Sacha,

Stephen, can you please link to the story and maybe quote a few highlights rather than paste the whole content here. It breaches copyright, for one thing.

Yes. Just deleted the copy-paste comment sorry stephen.

• Paul Campbell,

some people come by them naturally - my dual citizen kids have NZ and US ones and (like JK) could probably apply for Israeli ones if they wanted to

We travel on our NZ passports and hide the others except when entering the US - and we don't want the Mossad and their like to dilute the safety that being kiwis gives us

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Ian, I think that's quite plausible. Your last link is to David Irving's website though... yick.

First ←Older Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 15 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.