Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The scandal that keeps on giving

360 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 11 12 13 14 15 Newer→ Last

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

I’m guessing Amy Winehouse’s death will chew up many column centimetres in the UK papers as well……it’ll be fish and chips off Rupert’s face next week and it’ll all be back to ‘normal’…

Well, she has knocked Murdoch off the front pages. way to go girl! Maybe if, she said yes yes yes to rehab.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

Guardian is now reporting allegations that the police may have sold details of the 7/7 bombing victims to the tabloids.....

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Rich Lock,

The real kicker will be if any similar activity is detected around 9/11.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• merc,

There appears to be a very disturbing pattern emerging.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Jenny Shipley has several.

And she can Afford plenty more but I guess when you have a bit of dosh you need to be paid bucket-loads to even get out of the sack in the morning. I would of thought $500 a day would have been heaps for an ex-teacher who loves to donate her time to charitable works...

She gifts a lot of her time to organisations – from raising an endowment fund for the Heart Foundation and sitting on the board of the newly launched New Zealand Global Women, to her family’s charitable trust, which benefits the children of Namibia at Ehomba School.

It would seem that the people of her own base are now only a means of extracting cash for her families coffers...

“I entered into my political life mainly from that Canterbury base. Leadership was always a topic of conversation as children. My father was a minister so oratory ideas and discussing leading social issues of the time was very much part of the environment I was raised in.

So much for charity, eh?

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to Steve Barnes,

She is no doubt still getting the MPs super - she makes me feel very ill.

Why one would need to appoint the head of the board of the China Construction Bank to the Cera Review Panel - particulalrly when that head is working for the communist party (of China) in fincancing proposals for China to purchase parts of /interests in the NZ Dairy industry.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1224 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to Sacha,

The real kicker will be if any similar activity is detected around 9/11

I think the FBI is already looking into that across the Atlantic. There will be no mercy for Rupert in the US if they find a sniff of that.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to nzlemming,

There will be no mercy for Rupert in the US if they find a sniff of that.

I wonder what they'll do if they find he also helped sell Bush's lies to enable wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, which arguably killed far more civilians than 9/11...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Ah, but they weren't Americans, so that doesn't matter to the American media.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

• Hebe, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Yeah, I know. The whole “Wendy Deng = Anna Nicole Smith if her brains were as large as tits + gold-digging homewrecker x scheming Dragon Lady” meme isn’t objectionable at all. My bad.

None of which I had any intention of implying. None of which I even remotely believe. As the proud possessor of a pair of big tits, I am all for them. FYI, I am a celtic-Pakeha + Maori hybrid; my partner and father of my children is likewise with a good dash of Chinese added.

As Ian Dalziel says, poor wee Amy Winebox should dominate the rags for the next few days with the Norwegian massacre for the more serious-minded. So pfffft, Murdoch's immediate problems go. Just goes to show, girls can't do hard drugs and get away with it.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Hebe,

poor wee Amy Winebox

Really?

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to giovanni tiso,

I feel sorry for her. Having been down a similar route (without the money, fame and glamour part) and come back, I sure as hell wouldn't want to have been trying to clean up in public.

• giovanni tiso,

You had me wondering there because of the jibe.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Yes, arch does not always translate well in print. I'm trying lose that habit too but sometimes my nasty mouth... Edit is a wonderful thing, don't you think?

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

I’m guessing Amy Winehouse’s death will chew up many column centimetres in the UK papers as well…

Tragic, but not at all surprising. I always thought it was a matter of when, not if.

And the Michelle Malkins of this world are playing the No True Scotsman card with the Norway bombings, now that the far right extremist, ID’ed as Anders Breivik, has admitted to carrying them out.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Hebe,

The woman had huge talent – and huge addiction problems. At least, she left bloody good songs behind.
    May all of us do that kind of least-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to Islander,

I agree on both counts. I used to laugh then weep when she sang "I don't want to go to rehab, no no no". Of course she didn't want to. I had hoped her body would last out long enough for her to get clean. Too many of my friends have gone the same way, and around late 20s seems to be a common time. A physiological fact: women are twice as susceptible to drugs and alcohol's worst effects as men.

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Hebe,

Quite -- some people hit bottom and can get up (been there, done that, have all the merchandising) and others do the same and smash beyond repair. Poo-sticks. The infuriating thing about Winehouse is that she was a real talent who had the chops not to get stuck in the "white chick listens to a lot of black music" retro ghetto. She had so much more to do than being a tabloid staple.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

She had so much more to do than being a tabloid staple.

Thing is, like many a rock star gone before her and yet to go, if you don't want to change the habit, it will probably be your demise in the end, and as said above "matter of when, not if."
    Glad we got to hear her beautiful voice.We will always have that now.
    The cleaning up in public could have been her win. Most in Serbia would have heard about her exploits and still paid to see her so the public arena could have been the best place to do it. There, she would have received much support, to be sure.The dealers who wanted her dosh might have been the hard part.

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Quite -- some people hit bottom and can get up (been there, done that, have all the merchandising)

Robert Downey Jr was down in the narco-addled dumps for a while, only to bounce back to form with Iron Man.

And Alice Cooper came close to drinking himself to death once - and managed a concept album from it.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Iain Duncan Smith, former Tory Party leader and now minister of welfare cuts, interviewed this morning on RNZ. As a typical politician trying to divert the spotlight he finds another party to blame for the UK Murdoch melt-down: the police.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Bugger. I agree with every word Craig. And I was getting ready to get a good disliking up...Wish I could figure out why some get up and some break.

My favourite dead addict musician is Gram Parsons: "Drug Store Trucking Man", "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down".

• DexterX,

Amy Winehouse - she wrote great songs and had a deep voice that would have only got better with time.

It is sad - that is all it is.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1224 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to Kumara Republic,

And the Michelle Malkins of this world are playing the No True Scotsman card with the Norway bombings, now that the far right extremist, ID’ed as Anders Breivik, has admitted to carrying them out

I only caught up with the Norway story on Saturday evening, and didn't immerse myself in the detail, but apparently, the immediate reaction was that http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jul/24/charlie-brooker-norway-mass-killings:

On Friday night's news, they were calling him something else. He was a suspected terror cell with probable links to al-Qaida. Countless security experts queued up to tell me so. This has all the hallmarks of an al-Qaida attack, they said. Watching at home, my gut feeling was that that didn't add up. Why Norway? And why was it aimed so specifically at one political party? But hey, they're the experts. They're sitting there behind a caption with the word "EXPERT" on it. Every few minutes the anchor would ask, "What kind of picture is emerging?" or "What sense are you getting of who might be responsible?" and every few minutes they explained this was "almost certainly" the work of a highly-organised Islamist cell.

And, for want of a better place to put it, an interesting article on trolls, moderation and online commenting.

Unusually, some of the comments under the article are worth a read, too.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 11 12 13 14 15 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.