and tastes a bit like ... chicken

Arrgh! Do you think it is "long pig"?

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Sue,

cucpakes are over, it's all about the macaron now

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 527 posts Report Reply

• Martin Lindberg, in reply to Sue,

cucpakes are over, it's all about the macaron now

Absolutely. Several of my colleagues who are borderline obsessed with baking cakes only talk about (and bring to work!) their macarons now. Cupcakes are totally so yesterday.

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan,

I might be about to incur the wrath of The System, but that chicken in a can stuff is actually fine. Works in sandwiches, or stirred through pasta. For someone like me, who works shifts, and hates cooking for just herself, it is pretty handy. Same as tinned tuna.

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

I was this close to snarling at you, so long did your well-meaning interrogation about my attempt to buy a sodding box of Neurofen Plus continue. Back off, dude.)

Switch up to diclofenac. Get a repeat presecription from your doctor and keep the bottle handy.

Also sold over the counter as voltaren (although you'll get quizzed when buying it).

Much more effective than Neurofen for muscle/joint/back problems.

Also, I can recommend a really good sports physio for your back, if you want/need one. Now I'm pushing 40, I've actually started lisening to medical professionals. It's amazing how much sense they talk. Why didn't someone tell me this before?

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Rich Lock,

Also sold over the counter as voltaren (although you’ll get quizzed when buying it).

Much more effective than Neurofen for muscle/joint/back problems.

I find I can't do diclofenac for long without tummy troubles. Ibuprofen + codeine works pretty well for me. The chemists are antsy about it because people in the 'burbs are getting hooked on the codeine and taking it so often that they're getting gastric bleeding from the ibuprofen.

For really serious over-the-counter pain relief -- Nurofen Plus + Panadeine Plus. Just don't tell the chemist that's what you're doing ;-)

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

but when I had crawled for 20 minutes all the way up Greenlane Road from the motorway interchange, in the right-hand lane, because that would let me turn into the “good” carpark at the Auckland Showgrounds –

You really should have taken your car, all that crawling would be hard on the knees and I am so glad you didn’t turn into a Car Park, we love you just the way you are.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to Russell Brown,

I find I can't do diclofenac for long without tummy troubles.

That's the downside.

My assumption was that you'd only be taking it for a day or two until the back settled down. A couple of days doesn't usually cause upsets, but your milage may vary.

• Rob S, in reply to Russell Brown,

I was taken to A&E a couple of months ago with the most badly locked up spasming back pain imaginable. Could only fall out of my Brothers car and get lifted into a wheelchair at the hospital. Doctor gave me a scrip for Diazepam, Tramadol, Ibuprofin & Paracetamol with the suggestion that I snarf a few down for the next week or so.
    Spent a goodly portion of the next day in an armchair staring at the rug. A nice hand woven Turkish pattern by the way. Still got a couple of handfuls of them left and ain't sharing them with nobody. I know why all those US celebs get hooked on prescription meds now :
    I've still got a mild coming and going ache and am off to see the Osteo shortly. Have to tell him that I bought a new snowboard and am determined to get on the slopes this season.
    Who knows a good sports phsio in Akld central then?

Since Apr 2010 • 136 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to Rob S,

Emma Jones at the corrective clinic.

I had a back/neck injury back in February, which she's been dealing with.

Part of the treatment has been me swallowing my pride and actually listening when she teaches me how to do basic stuff, like sitting, standing, squatting movements (to pick stuff up), and posture related stretching/strengthening exercises.

A+++ would definitely trade again.

• Hebe, in reply to Raymond A Francis,

www.gourmeticecream.co.nz

Thanks. The lemon curd is yum too.

Another southern delight: Pic's Really Good Peanut Butter (from Nelson I think).

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Rich Lock,

Part of the treatment has been me swallowing my pride and actually listening when she teaches me how to do basic stuff, like sitting, standing, squatting movements (to pick stuff up), and posture related stretching/strengthening exercises.

I haven’t injured my back like this for a long time actually, in part because I am pretty careful about bending/squatting, I improved my strength and fitness, and I have a very good chair to work in, etc. But I’m run down and a bit stressed at the moment, and it all adds up.

I’d pay due credit to my osteopath too, but I can’t be bothered setting off that argument again :-)

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• recordari, in reply to Russell Brown,

I’d pay due credit to my osteopath too, but I can’t be bothered setting off that argument again :-)

I certainly won't mention my chiropractor then.

Oops...

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Russell Brown,

The trouble I find is - having once had a back injury, it tends to re-occur.

Got knocked off my bicycle when I was 16, and damaged both spine and neck. (Was majorly helped by an osteopath by the by.) While I am careful, and reasonably knowledgable (and have an excellent chair also!) ,every so often either neck or back - both with eroded vertebrae- go out. Back muscle-spasming is excruciating, but a neck locked is as bad...

Unfortunately, I dont react well to most available medications.
    Fortunately, I do react well to quaffing whisky.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

As it is Friday: somehow the refrain for Lady Gaga's still in love with Judas, baby, sung around our house quite continuously by my daughter has become still in love with Judy Bailey

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• recordari, in reply to Geoff Lealand,

still in love with Judy Bailey

I imagine you'd be following that up with Katy Perry,

Cause Bailey you're a firework
    Come on show 'em what you're worth
    Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!"
    As you shoot across the sky-y-y

No thanks necessary. ;-)

• Hebe, in reply to recordari,

Then the Doors "Come on Bailey light my fire..."

• Lilith __,

Oooo Oooo! New OK Go video!! You need to watch it in Chrome. It's very cute.

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams,

Or Frampton's "Ohhh Bailey I love you way..."

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• James Green, in reply to Russell Brown,

For really serious over-the-counter pain relief -- Nurofen Plus + Panadeine Plus. Just don't tell the chemist that's what you're doing ;-)

I'm pretty sure that this is actually the best analgesia you can do over the counter. It's still likely less codeine than your doctor would give you if you got it on a script.

Limerick, Ireland • Since Nov 2006 • 703 posts Report Reply

• recordari,

Attachment

We should stop short of Salt n Pepa's Push It though. After a reasonably safe beginning 'Ooo Bailey Bailey, Ooo Bailey Bailey' it gets somewhat inappropriate.

Just sayin'.

ETA: That attachment was mis-appropriated from the other thread. Or, I stuffed up, being only mortal.

• Nathaniel Wilson, in reply to Grant McDougall,

Not that I'm grumpy about again missing the Food Show, and so keen to continue to move off-topic, but....Radler is not a style of beer, at least not here in Germany (where the name comes from). Radler = Shandy, i.e. a mix of beer and lemonade (they also do mixes with cola and/or fanta, and/or cherry liquor too, but even the though of such drinks makes me shudder). The whole point of a Radler (lit. cyclist) is to lower the alcohol percentage of what you're drinking, so you can have a couple of half-litres in the afternoon without suffering any adverse consequences.

While I think it's a shame DB won the case, it's not the case they have copyrighted an existing style of beer. We must be the only people on earth where there is a market for a full strength beer tasting like a shandy. My point is, I guess, that if you're going to boycott Monteith's Radler do so for the right reasons (i.e. it's a crime against beer-nature, or you can make your own "authentic" Radler for much cheaper), and not the wrong ones, 'cause they'll get you every time otherwise.

Auckland, New Zealand • Since May 2009 • 35 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to recordari,

But a warning for the sainted Judy would be appropriate:
    "Bailey, Bailey don't get hooked on me,
    Cause I'lll just use you then I'll set your fee...."

• recordari, in reply to Hebe,

But a warning for the sainted Judy would be appropriate:

Threadjack II. This seems almost... apposite?

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.