Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: An open thread while I'm down with #OGB

257 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 11 Newer→ Last

• merc, in reply to Sacha,

AFAIK it is they who swear allegiance to the Queen, not us. Though as Maori were often forced to in the past, Tuhoi springs to mind.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to merc,

It's hard to maintain any policy without electoral support (however ill-informed it might be).

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• merc, in reply to Sacha,

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Simon Grigg, in reply to Sacha,

Right you are, Sacha, but the whole work was being sung at the time.

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report Reply

• ChrisW, in reply to Simon Grigg,

Will was one of the leaders of the Patu Squad that day and was arrested shortly afterwards. It was the intervention of Desmond Tutu - who appeared as a witness - that saved him from what was likely to be a severe sentence.

And these things don't just happen by themselves - that intervention was organised by Will Ilolahia's defence lawyer. And one of many good stories told in memory and appreciation of Chief District Court Judge Russell Johnson at his funeral on Saturday was of that day in the legal career of the then youthful barrister - he knew he had the case won when the entire jury stood up for Bishop Desmond Tutu's arrival in court.

It was a massive funeral, in numbers and duration at Holy Trinity Cathedral in Auckland - he was deeply admired, his leadership appears to have been exceptional and will be sorely missed.Brief NZH obituary.

Gisborne • Since Apr 2009 • 851 posts Report Reply

• andin, in reply to Hilary Stace,

Institutionalisation of disabled people was all done in the name of policy and with the best of intentions.

Cold Comfort indeed.
    Sorry Hillary its pure coincidence. Your essay up thread was excellent tho.
    And I just wanted to say how much the stories in the thread are beautifully thoughtful.
    And to thank Joe for his story.
    So with "the best of intentions" both of my parents when suffering from nervous collapse, at different times, received electro-shock therapy in 50's/60's NZ. The conflict of wanting to be free of obligation yet knowing it was impossible in that time(well to them maybe it would always be like that).
    They couldnt find any other way through their suffering at the time is all I can offer by way of explanation.
    I dont know what affect it had, but they both took their places back in society and as our parents and carried on. Not stoically, but resigned somehow ...I guess.
    Still in a daze of shock. Tho' not deficient still there.. Its hard for me to describe with out bringing back a flood of memories. So excuse me.

raglan • Since Mar 2007 • 1891 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Simon Grigg,

These days someone would ping the protesters for performing rights fees

• Simon Grigg, in reply to Sacha,

And if footage of it was played three times on TVNZ without such a fee being duly and correctly paid, then APRA would have the station pulled from the airwaves.

Bloody right too :)

Just another klong... • Since Nov 2006 • 3284 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Brian Fallow reports latest wage stats.

Wage and salary earners' incomes only outstripped inflation in the past year because they worked longer hours, figures released yesterday show.

So in real or inflation-adjusted terms average hourly earnings fell 0.2 per cent and households' labour income only rose because of a 1.6 per cent increase in paid hours.

However, of the 3.1 per cent annual increase in average hourly earnings 1.2 percentage points occurred in the June quarter.

"The Reserve Bank will not be able to ignore the increasing threat of wage inflation," Infometrics economist Matt Nolan said.

Last week's official cash rate review included a plea from Governor Alan Bollard for wage and price-setters to focus on underlying inflation, which the Reserve Bank estimates is running at less than 2.5 per cent, rather than the "headline" rate of 5.3 per cent.

Just ignore your own experience of basic prices rising way faster than that, folks. And what would the Salvation Army know anyway.

Low-income families in one of New Zealand’s poorest suburbs are facing far higher increases in their weekly grocery bills than the reported consumer price index rise.

The Salvation Army’s Consumer Price Survey (attached) of prices at a South Auckland supermarket, released today, shows a typical sole-parent family has seen a 9.1 per cent jump in its cost of living in the last year.

The Salvation Army has been monitoring the cost of the same basket of food, cleaning and personal hygiene products from the same South Auckland supermarket every quarter since June 2008.

• Sacha, in reply to Simon Grigg,

Apparently it's about protecting struggling artistes not multinational corporates, you know.

• nzlemming, in reply to DexterX,

If you have read this far thanks for taking the time, apologies if you are bored shitless, and all the best we all need it.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Thanks for your recollection.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Chris Waugh,

My memories of 1981 are all about starting school - walking down the hill, crossing the train tracks, then around to Tawa school. The Tour I became aware of later as something in the past that people preferred not to talk about, and when they did, it was always rather obliquely and the topic quickly changed to something nicer. So thanks for sharing these memories of the Tour, I find them really fascinating.

My own political memories start with the anti-nuke law and the Rainbow Warrior. I remember finding it absurd and incredibly rude that big, faraway countries would presume to dictate to us what we do in our own country, then even go planting bombs. Opposition to nuclear weapons seemed so natural and obviously right to me. That was what got me radicalised. It would be nice to think my political views have matured somewhat since then (though I'm not always sure of that), but my feelings about those events haven't changed at all.

And because somebody already mentioned Herbs and nzonscreen is a cool site (though it would be nice if the videos loaded a little quicker over here), I decided to get my daughter started early and showed her the video of French Letter. So she's only four months old and had no idea what she was watching. And she was born in a country that has nukes. But it's a great song, great video, and footage of the Rainbow Warrior and nuclear tests at Mururoa still elicit that exact same raw gut emotive response as they did way back then.

Wellington • Since Jan 2007 • 2401 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to Simon Grigg,

Bloody right too :)

Okay, now you’re just taunting me deliberately :-D

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Joe Wylie,

One thing I'm certain of, the importance of personality over so-called intellect can't be underestimated. It's absolutely vital for everyone to have the chance to be themselves.

HEAR HEAR!

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Hey, is it OK if I didn't have any particular views on the Springbok Tour at the time. I am so ashamed of my nine year-old lack of socio-political consciousness. :)

That's ok in my book. Reading these memoirs above just made me realise, I had just spent another day stoned in Austalia. My bad. :)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to recordari,

my La Marzocco Linea

Do you really have one?

Two, actually. One has it's own dedicated room in my palatial Devonport mansion. Three butlers and two cooks later, I'm managing to get an at least tolerably drinkable cup of coffee out of that one (can't get the staff these days).

It's the one I've had plumbed in to the Lamborghini I'm having trouble with. My chauffeur has expressed his bafflement (and to be fair, it's not really within his purview), so I thought I'd ask you chaps at PAS, being the class-traitor connoisseurs of fine coffee that you are infamously known for.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Che Tibby, in reply to Hilary Stace,

Institutionalisation of disabled people was all done in the name of policy and with the best of intentions.

they did the same thing with drug-addicted people in the late 60s and 70s as well. they just didn't know how to handle them.

the back of an envelope • Since Nov 2006 • 2042 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Rich Lock,

class-traitor connoisseurs of fine coffee

tee-worthy

• Hilary Stace,

In the mid-60s you could have wandered in and had a look for yourself, it was pretty open.

But could the residents have readily left? From the account of the family member in the Spectrum Care book trying to get her older brother out in the 1980s was not possible.She talks about being only allowed to take him out for a short time and the distress of both of them when she had to take him back.

Anne McDonald (who wrote her story in "Annie's coming out") was in a similar institution in Melbourne, St Nicholas's, in the 60s and 70s had to have a long court case to be able to leave.

I have a friend who only recently found out he had a sibling who lived and died in Kimberley, and is angry and sad about it. I know it was a different era but surely we can keep trying to do better to our fellow humans.

We still have remnants of such thinking in policy that only lets disabled adults who are in supported living, home for a few days a year. The provider needs them on site to get payment from the MoH. So harmless aging disabled people have to ration their trips home to see elderly parents or to attend family events.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Rich Lock,

It's the one I've had plumbed in to the Lamborghini I'm having trouble with.

You keep the Lamborghini of cofee makers inside the Lamborghini of Lamborghinis? Respect.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• recordari, in reply to Sacha,

tee-worthy

Who drinks tea?

Two, actually.

Show off. You can keep the Lamborghini, but. *

[Redacted] Whatev's. Anyone want a coffee some time? Rumour has it mine are not too far away from a truck stop in Napoli, which has always been my life time goal.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Paul Campbell,

yeah, but they're both always in the garage having something done

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Hilary Stace,

We still have remnants of such thinking in policy that only lets disabled adults who are in supported living, home for a few days a year. The provider needs them on site to get payment from the MoH

Such warehousing is pretty much the same sub-standard management mentality as measuring productivity by time spent at the desk.

• Rich Lock, in reply to recordari,

I realise you are joking, and mocking at the same time

Mocking with love, Recordari. With love. :)

I actually use a Bialetti stovetop. Although I've started calling the man in the logo drawing 'Gio'.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• recordari, in reply to Rich Lock,

Mocking with love, Recordari. With love. :)

I redacted, but thanks, and the offer stands. Some time in Spring I reckon.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 11 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.