Hard News: London's Burning

445 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 13 14 15 16 17 18 Newer→ Last

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Does that mean there is no point? ;)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• recordari,

Attachment

So, this is when I discover the attachment doesn't take a tiff.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report

• Rich Lock,

David Cameron: "I have also asked the police if they need any other new powers."

Yep, because all those other ones they've been given over the last 20-30 years have worked so well....

"You will pay for what you have done. We will track you down, we will find you, we will punish you."

Seriously dude, you're not the fucking terminator.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report

• recordari, in reply to Rich Lock,

Seriously dude, you're not the fucking terminator.

No, but he might see himself as Robocop.

• Rich of Observationz, in reply to Sacha,

@Gio, you could always implement that yourself using RSS. Work of moments.

@Steve, may I suggest the Camberwell Carrot.

@Gio & Craig: you are so cosmopolitan up in the big city. My neighbours are from the 'Naki.

@Tussock: they've got to get the rioting in now while petrol bombs are still affordable.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report

• Rich Lock, in reply to Paul Campbell,

We've all been feeling a bit shagged and fagged and fashed, it being a night of no small expenditure.

Oddly enough, I started re-reading 'A Clockwork Orange' a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing in there really that would illuminate the current situation, except that teenagers do it because they can, and because they enjoy it.

But, brothers, this biting of their toe-nails over what is the cause of badness is what turns me into a fine laughing malchick. They don't go into the cause of goodness, so why the other shop? If lewdies are good that's because they like it, and I wouldn't ever interfere with their pleasures, and so of the other shop. And I was patronizing the other shop. More, badness is of the self, the one, the you or me on our oddy knockies, and that self is made by old Bog or God and is his great pride and radosty. But the not-self cannot have the bad, meaning they of the government and the judges and the schools cannot allow the bad because they cannot allow the self. And is not our modern history, my brothers, the story of brave malenky selves fighting these big machines? I am serious with you, brothers, over this. But what I do I do because I like to do.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Rich Lock,

Oddly enough, I started re-reading 'A Clockwork Orange' a couple of weeks ago.

Nadsat translator. Talk like a droog.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Lilith __, in reply to recordari,

Your joke is better. :-)

So, this is when I discover the attachment doesn’t take a tiff.

No argument from you, then. ;-)

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Russell Brown,

And in Yet More Weird, Bureaucratic Social Control news, David Cameron is proposing banning people from social media if they might be plotting criminal activity.

Talk about attacking the symptom. Hosni Mubarak, anyone?

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Carol Stewart, in reply to Rich Lock,

We've all been feeling a bit shagged and fagged and fashed

And fracked?

Wellington • Since Jul 2008 • 830 posts Report

• Danielle,

Glad to have you on board. I have some literature.

I'd like to note belatedly that if you start liveblogging the apocalypse again I will be inventing a Fingers in Ears Lalalalala Machine and utilising it quick smart. Bloody dystopians.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report

• Carol Stewart,

Jim Hopkins can always be relied on to subtract from the sum of human knowledge.

Wellington • Since Jul 2008 • 830 posts Report

• Lilith __, in reply to Danielle,

I’d like to note belatedly that if you start liveblogging the apocalypse again I will be inventing a Fingers in Ears Lalalalala Machine and utilising it quick smart. Bloody dystopians.

Russell, I'm pretty sure we need a "print this to t-shirt" function!

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report

• Rich Lock, in reply to Danielle,

There's an app for that, I'm sure.

Ignorance is bliss?

• recordari, in reply to Rich Lock,

There's an app for that, I'm sure.

This one seems close enough.

Moo, Baa, La la la!

ETA:

Russell, I'm pretty sure we need a "print this to t-shirt" function!

I can attest that Blair Parkes brick font works well for this.

• Sacha, in reply to Lilith __,

we need a "print this to t-shirt" function!

<looks in Emma's direction...>

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Carol Stewart,

Jim Hopkins can always be relied on to subtract from the sum of human knowledge.

Once again Mr Hopkins demonstrates the need for education.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• recordari, in reply to Carol Stewart,

Did you look under the cone?

What would make better managers would be if they all went into therapy.

Anyone got one they could recommend?

• Rich Lock,

• Russell Brown, in reply to Rich Lock,

Too soon?

Not at all.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Russell Brown, in reply to Danielle,

I’d like to note belatedly that if you start liveblogging the apocalypse again I will be inventing a Fingers in Ears Lalalalala Machine and utilising it quick smart. Bloody dystopians.

I believe your presence is required over at today’s ladies thread, which is guaranteed apocalypse-free.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Rich Lock,

Interesting piece here.

I know the Walworth road pretty well: I used to live at the Camberwell end and my girlfriend (now wife) at the Elephant end.

I was joking the other night that the only reason it didn't get turned over was because it's such a dump. Looks like I have some hat-eating to attend to.

• Sacha,

Via Mr Grigg, an inter-generational analysis. Warning: some content may upset boomers.

The UN’s first ever report on the state of childhood in the industrialized West made unpleasant reading for many of the world’s richest nations. But none found it quite so hard to swallow as the Brits, who, old jokes about English cooking aside, discovered that they were eating their own young.

But what if the behavior of broken British children is less a violent reaction to their inadequate pasts than calculated defiance against their hopeless futures?

In their Class of 2005 survey, LSE economist Nick Bosanquet, along with Blair Gibbs of the independent think tank Reform, branded Britain’s under-35s the “iPod Generation” – insecure, pressured, over-taxed and debt-ridden. Warning that Britain was at a generational tipping point when it came to quality of life, they argued, “The common perception is that today’s young people have it easy. But the true position of young people is thrown into stark relief when compared to their parents . . . who enjoyed many advantages of which the younger generation can now only dream, including a generous welfare state, free universal higher education, secure pensions and a substantial rise in housing equity which has augmented their lifetime savings.”

Others have called the tripling of housing costs in under a decade the largest generational asset transfer – from young and poor to old and rich – in UK history, and it is almost certainly the key factor contributing to both the nation’s plummeting birth-rate and its record £1.2 trillion in personal debt, a figure that puts even the most voracious American consumer to shame. Debt, whether measured in a natal deficit or angry letters from the bank, is a sure sign that the good times are up, because the only way the pretense of affluence can be continued is if tomorrow’s hardship is used to pay for today’s brief consumer whims.

The first stirrings of major intergenerational conflict are already being noted. The basic rights of the recent past – a safe job, free education and healthcare, secure homes to raise a family, a modest but comfortable old age – have slipped quietly away, all to be replaced by a myriad of vapid lifestyle choices and glittery consumer trinkets.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Rich of Observationz,

@Gio, you could always implement that yourself using RSS. Work of moments.

Brilliant. How?

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• Islander, in reply to Sacha,

Warning: some content may upset boomers.

The only part that upset this 64yrold was - yet again- the collapsing of people born between 1945&1965 into one homologous mass...and the ascription of both life experiences and political viewpoints of a certain kind ('selfish/self-interested only') to both generations.

Other than that, it's both a perceptive report and a good warning to those who will read it - and then act on it.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 13 14 15 16 17 18 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.