Cracker by Damian Christie

Read Post

Cracker: Island Time

10 Responses

• Kim_Wright,

This is kind of spooky, I'm reading this while sitting at Faleolo airport waiting to come home after my third work trip to Samoa this year...... I love Samoa and totally agree with your perception of it not being touristy; yes there is the odd street hawker in Apia, but so much of Samoa is just laid-back village loveliness.

I am really looking forward to bringing my partner on my next trip- it's the kind of place you want to show to very special people. Next time you visit a short stay at Manono Island is well worth it - great family run family accommodation, no cars, no dogs and the freshest fish you can imagine. Great wildlife too. You've made me homesick for Samoa and I'm not even on the plane to come home yet!

Wellington • Since May 2009 • 57 posts Report Reply

• Damian Christie,

Cool - thanks for the heads up re Manono, I'm definitely planning to come back with partner in due course. Small matter of a baby in the next month or so, but once that's sorted...

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1164 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

Add to this the fact most people are content to drift along at 30kmp/h regardless and it becomes a frustrating experience

Just biff your watch on the ground and get with the program.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Danielle, in reply to BenWilson,

Yeah, that kind of sounds like my ideal driving experience. I dream of a land of fellow Nana Drivers.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Nice one Christie.
    Sounds like a great place for the inaugural PAS Great Blend Holiday
    Russ? ;-)

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to BenWilson,

At the risk of making enormous generalisations, working anywhere in the Southern Suburbs of Auckland, one finds that one is forced to drive more slowly.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• sallyr,

Manono Island is well worth it

+1.
    Untouched Manono was the highlight of my two trips. And the hunt for the pyramid on Savaii was great fun.

Since Jun 2007 • 20 posts Report Reply

• Damian Christie,

>Just biff your watch on the ground and get with the program.

Yeah, the problem as I alluded to, was that we were there for work. Short time frame, lot of island to get around, running late for an interview, fading light, that kinda thing. Otherwise, absolutely!

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1164 posts Report Reply

• Rik,

Shhhh....don't tell everyone about the best little secret of the South Pacific!

You are right - Savai'i is a little more pristine than Upolu generally, although if you do get out to the eastern end of Upolu (even inland - like Richardson Rd/Le Mafa Pass Rd) and out west (Apolima-Uta) it is pretty awesome.

Did you get to try any Koko Samoa? I am making chocolate in NZ from Samoan Trinitario cocoa beans if you'd like to try some.

Since Jun 2007 • 130 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Small matter of a baby in the next month or so, but once that's sorted...

Normally people wait until they're up at 3am, the baby has been crying for three hours, and they've got a 6.30am start before they start talking about 'sorting' the bloody thing.

Good to plan ahead I guess?

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.