Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Politics of Absence

523 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 16 17 18 19 20 21 Newer→ Last

• Bart Janssen, in reply to Joe Wylie,

who needs an emergency cleanup boat?

An emergency cleanup boat would have cost money now. Whereas the accident that needed it was just as likely to occur while Labour was government. Why spend the money when you may not get blamed for it?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• hamishm,

No Right Turn has a picture of 1/3 of the oil recovery fleet. Which would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Since Nov 2006 • 357 posts Report Reply

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to 3410,

ACT: sensible policies?

Mmm, bacon.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to hamishm,

No Right Turn has a picture of 1/3 of the oil recovery fleet. Which would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

According to Steve Barnes' link earlier, that thing can go 25 knots. That would be a wild ride in the slightest swell.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to Kumara Republic,

ACT: sensible policies?

Mmm, bacon.

Pork barrel politics.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

an absence of social spirit...
    I gotta say that Ngati Whatua have an odd way of showcasing Maori culture - by banning the media (well at least TV1) from their multi million 11 day extravaganza - which means they are excluding the rest of the country who aren't tourists in Auckland, and have contributed to its construction. I think it would've served them better to rise above their critics and shared it with the nation. Just sayin'

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Labour points to Maritime NZ budget freeze.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to Sacha,

It likely could have been be just as bad under a Labour Govt – as a Rena thang could have easily happened at any time. It amazes me that our biggest export port, the one with the narrowest entrance, just didn’t have anything much.

The whole thrust of the policy direction NZ has pursued since the Roger Douglas Labour Govt has largely created a series of disasters or disasters in waiting.

Looking back from then till now – The water crisis, the Auckland CBD power crisis, Rail, ………… The Super City, …………..and this.

As a taxpayers and voters we need fewer people in parliament and for them to be more accountable and a functioning and effective “civil service”. The reason for having govt is to see that the right thing gets done the right way.

On the news tonight I Joyce mentions the senior civil servants getting the figures together on the likely cost of damages and clean up as “boffins”, I find this insulting rank brinkmanship, uncalled and arrogant.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1224 posts Report Reply

• DexterX,

The situation is akin to waiting for the town to burn down before you think about getting a fire service.

Just as long as the Govt restructure and MAF and the Dept of Conservation - next disaster will be a massive bio security incident which say ruins agriculture or the great outdoors, all on account of another otherwise readily preventable set of circumstance.

• Sacha, in reply to DexterX,

Joyce mentions the senior civil servants getting the figures together on the likely cost of damages and clean up as “boffins”

He's just spinning prepared lines about needing "experts" from overseas before being able to do anything. In contrast to govt assurances some months ago that preparedness was just dandy.

• Sacha, in reply to DexterX,

we need fewer people in parliament

I don't see a connection between the problem and that solution. The issue seems more about quality than quantity of governance.

• DexterX, in reply to Sacha,

more about quality than quantity of governance

In a nut shell - you are saying what I am saying.

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to DexterX,

It likely could have been be just as bad under a Labour Govt – as a Rena thang could have easily happened at any time.

But it didn't and I think once again, (as Sacha linked to), budget freezes, cost cutting, job losses of strategically important people, who are all in a days achievements for NACT, have come home to roost. If you don't care about the people and it's environment what's the point of anything else. Money can take a jump as far as I see.
    Labour are accused of too much bureaucracy , too nanny. I'd be happy right now with a better plan than what National have enabled. NACT don't give a shit about our environment. That is obvious.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• merc,

The plan, the only plan, the always ever will be plan, is to get re-elected, for all of them.
    Character is fate, Heraclitus

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

In other news, the Broadcasting Standards Authority didn't uphold Labour's complaint. I'll post the link, because I'm sure y'all will have a lot more to say about the Tory tooldom of the BSA than me. :)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

"Where's my Nanny? I've pooped on my Foreshore and Seabed."
    "Now now John Boy, you know we had to "Let her go" after what you did"

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Sacha,

He’s just spinning prepared lines about needing “experts” from overseas

Which is where they went

"An indication of the disillusion within the organisation is revealed by the departure of two key staff members and National Response Team leaders, the MPRS Group Manager and the Principal Environmental Advisor to the New Zealand National Response Team who left to take up positions in Australia in 2010," Fenton

h/t Sacha.

• merc,

Never let it be said they are the do nothing Govt. they tinker aplenty, http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/5783005/Justice-not-well-served-Elias-warns

• merc,

Best not to tinker with the RMA just yet ay?
    Mr Key said yesterday there was discussion and ongoing negotiations with the owners in terms of what the absolute liability would be but the Government wasn't without potential legal remedies.
    "They come through the RMA act...
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10758930
    Bet there was a choking on crow sound when that little gem surfaced.

• hamishm, in reply to merc,

And a few heads 'sploding.

Since Nov 2006 • 357 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Well we don't have to worry about the cost. Greek shipping Millionaires, as they were known in the seventies, have plenty of dosh, don't they?
    Oh, hang on... Greek. Don't they kinda have a bit of a cashflow problem at the moment?.

• merc,

This ship is owned by us http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10758985
    Heads splodin' fer sure, next they be sayin' sorry for the warmin'

• Rich of Observationz, in reply to Steve Barnes,

You gotta bet a drachma to a lepta that ship is owned by a limited liability corporation with no assets other than said ship.

The chances of extracting anything from them are minimal.

Who's to blame though?
    - the crew who are probably being made to work excessive hours and not given adequate training
    - the shipowner who pays them the low wages and registers the ship under a flag of convenience, but couldn't stay in business otherwise
    - the freight company who use cheap shipping lines, but again couldn't get any business otherwise
    - the companies like Fonterra that ship their goods via the lowest cost carrier, but would be nailed by farmers and consumers if they didn't
    - the farmers who want to maximise their milk price at the cost of standards
    - the consumers who want the cheapest possible imported goods
    - the voters that elected a government that cuts back on "back-office" functions like marine safety and regulation

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

All just adds up to the fact that the Market needs more rigorous regulation. It may make things a little more expensive in the short term (let’s not go there) but over time businesses will find other ways of reducing their costs without resorting to what amounts to slave wages and slave conditions for their workers. Other ways like greater efficiencies in energy use and production and greater use of safe mass transport, like Airships or something.
    [image of Huge Manatee floats through mind]

First ←Older Page 1 16 17 18 19 20 21 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.