Cracker by Damian Christie

Read Post

Cracker: Spotted

226 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 6 7 8 9 10 Newer→ Last

• JacksonP, in reply to merc,

Some are born with the shtick some with the basil.

Auckland • Since Mar 2011 • 2450 posts Report Reply

• merc,

Like most pursuits there's plenty of sayings. I was in a supply shop looking for something and there was this really old fella cut across me, I kept silent and he demanded this little tube of a special colour and then griped about the price for a while. The shopkeeper told me who it was and I figured he sold for 1000's but still that 60$ tube was eating him up.
    It's a funny game really. Hunterwasser ate his left over paint, some sort of eco thing, but then he also painted nude on stage.
    Potters are way more fun.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to JacksonP,

Some are born with the shtick some with the basil.

Raise the bah, lower the boom...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to merc,

taking the pith…

Like most pursuits there’s plenty of sayings.

Standardised as A4isms…

Gripe water colours…

…this little tube of a special colour
    and then griped about the price

Burnt umbrage?

Petering out…

…but then he also painted nude on stage.

Bare tricks?

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

A4isms

nice

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Bare tricks?

I like this one.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• DCBCauchi,

I have friends who sell work for tens of thousands of dollars. I get shit for showing in galleries, but that's nothing to what they get. People assume they're rich, but they struggle to earn the minimum wage in any given year.

We've got to get through the next few years, and whatever comes after, just like anyone else. Fuck knows how we're going to do it. It's not as if anyone has any savings. No-one expects to retire. Just die.

Appearance is not reality.

Parse that motherfuckers.

Since Feb 2011 • 320 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to DCBCauchi,

I'll pass

• DCBCauchi, in reply to Sacha,

Of course you will. Don’t expect you not to.

Yes, I'm bitter. And as pointed out privately not too long ago paranoid and suspicious.

I wonder why that could be. Must be cos I'm such a wanker eh?

• DCBCauchi,

Yeah, I'd just like to apologise for getting all wound up and ranting last night. I'm not very well at the moment. I'm spending far too much time by myself. So, yeah, sorry.

And I do realise how lucky I am to get to make my work and show it, which is a hell of a lot more than a lot of people get. Supportive partner, supportive friends, supportive good dealers. Catherine Russ of Thermostat in Palmy, Ivan Anthony, Robert Heald, Hamish McKay, the McLeaveys. The country would be a hell of a lot poorer without people like them.

And A4isms is a brilliant name for a show. I reckon someone should do one. I want to see it. I can see it in my head already. It'd be hilarious.

Take that, people who maintain you can only think in words!

Sanctimony time: If you're making art at all, keep plugging away. It's worth it for its own sake. If you've ever wanted to go into a gallery for a look but been hesitant, pop in and say hello. They'll talk you through what's on the walls, won't sneer at you, and point out how surprisingly affordable the work can be. The good dealers anyway.

Long live the independents!

Yeah, I'd just like to apologise for getting all wound up and ranting last night. I'm not very well at the moment. I'm spending far too much time by myself. So, yeah, sorry.

Don't sweat it. Look after yourself.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to DCBCauchi,

They’ll talk you through what’s on the walls, sneer at you, and point out how unaffordable the work can be to "people like you".

Fixed for the Parnell galleries.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

Yes, I'm bitter. And as pointed out privately not too long ago paranoid and suspicious.

We all have our moments. And I don't personally recall that discussion, sorry.

A4isms is a brilliant name for a show

+1

• merc, in reply to 3410,

Don't sweat it. Look after yourself.

+1

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to DCBCauchi,

LOL. I'm used to it, my sister is in the same situation as you. An undervalued performance artist, a modern dance choreographer. The pay is virtually non-existent, the audience almost entirely other dancers (who have no money). People don't get it. I don't get it, frankly. I went to her shows for years, but after a while, when you're told repeatedly that whatever you liked in the show was trivial, that really only people who've spent a lot of time devoted to the appreciation of modern dance can really comment intelligently, you lose motivation to continue with it. That's not engagement, it's elitism. I don't think she's ever followed a single suggestion from her family about what to do, despite having been bankrolled by them for many long years, and spending practically every occasion that we meet bitterly complaining about being under-appreciated. It gets really, really grating for people who have responsibilities that go further than looking after their own artistic growth for their whole lives.

I love her dearly, and will always continue to support her, but it is extremely frustrating when someone so talented, given every advantage in life by natural gifts of intelligence, beauty, and, ironically, trojanesque ability to work, drives relentlessly into abject poverty and countenances no advice whatsoever about it. Like I say, I don't get it, and what's happened is that I don't want to talk about it, because if I say what I really think, it will be an explosive confrontation every time.

Art, with a capital A, seems to be a concept that encourages the most bizarre discussions, seldom good ones, because they become wide-ranging personal criticisms of every aspect of people's lives and lifestyle choices. I really don't have any good experiences of those kind of discussions.

I give this post by way of explanation to Steve who I feel deserves an answer to why I didn't want to answer his question at the pub the other night, which is what prompted this whole digression into an Art discussion.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to DCBCauchi,

Hamish McKay, the McLeaveys.

I know these two better than the others. Peter McLeavey was at the Auckland Art Fair watching it all go by. He's looking a lot older and more frail than when I used to regularly climb the stairs to his little gallery in Cuba Street, back in 1989. And Hamish is indeed a sterling fellow.

To this list, among many possible others, I'd add a new gallery in Auckland, Black Asterisk. Stuart Broughton is both Artist (Photographer) and curator, and he is bringing fresh faces to bright walls in a very cool and accessible way.

DCB, no one here starts out being against anyone, or negative about someone's profession, or passion, as far as I have seen. It would be good if you could give us the benefit of the doubt with regards to our experience and opinions instead of jumping to conclusions. I resorted to glib humour earlier because it seemed this was heading towards a similar intractable position as the argument here last year. Been there, got the t-shirt.

My latest artist obsession is this guy. So I think I can contend with your work in the broad continuum of aestheticism.

All the best.

ETA: Seems I'm now late to this party. Oh well. See how nice we can all be?

• Sacha, in reply to JacksonP,

I resorted to glib humour earlier

same, possibly less successfully. Even "pass" was a play on "parse"..

• JacksonP, in reply to Sacha,

same, possibly less successfully. Even "pass" was a play on "parse"..

We try, and then bloody Ian comes along and we end up looking pars eh?

• Steve Barnes, in reply to BenWilson,

I give this post by way of explanation to Steve

Thank you Ben, I thought you actually came up with some good points.
    Tonight we will be discussing UI feedback loops and their similarity to conversation with regard to AI with particular reference to predictive machine behaviour.
    Or not. ;-)

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to JacksonP,

We try, and then bloody Ian comes along and we end up looking pars eh?

Real art, right here, unframed & unendorsed by experts.
    A nice reminder that we're not defined by what we consume.
    You too JacksonP, don't stop now.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Steve Barnes,

Tonight we will be discussing UI feedback loops and their similarity to conversation with regard to AI with particular reference to predictive machine behaviour.

Careful, nek minnit you'll become self aware.

don't stop now.

Thanks Joe, that means more than you might know.

• Sacha, in reply to JacksonP,

looking pants

• DCBCauchi, in reply to JacksonP,

DCB, no one here starts out being against anyone, or negative about someone’s profession, or passion, as far as I have seen. It would be good if you could give us the benefit of the doubt with regards to our experience and opinions instead of jumping to conclusions.

Heh, yep, I’m trying (ho ho). (Damn it, ‘very trying’ doesn’t work, nor does ‘try[ing] hard’.)

What really annoyed me about last night was me, defo not snarky comments other people made. I love snarky comments that’re funny, especially ones that deflate my pomposity, and want to answer in kind – but get a bit out of control. Ian is the master. I am in awe. Avaricious awe.

Cheers all. Appreciate it.

And Ben, yes, being told that what you liked about something you’re unfamiliar with is trivial is very grating indeed. I do it to people all the time, despite the gritted teeth responses. It doesn’t matter that I hate it when someone does it to me.

If your sister’s experience is anything like mine, she’ll have very firm ideas about what she wants to do. Family and friends don’t want to see you in abject poverty, so suggest ways to alleviate it. But you have a burning obsession in your head that you have to get out somehow, and those suggestions tend not to address that need very satisfactorily. Better abject poverty than a comfortable life and compromised work.

It is really frustrating when things seem very clear and obvious to you, but when you try to explain them to people you care about they stare at you as if you were gibberingly insane. You start shouting. You don’t want to but you do. Then it all turns to custard. You wanted mutual understanding and you end up with hard stares and recriminations.

I can only talk about painting with people for whom it is their life too.

• Rich Lock, in reply to 3410,

We all have our moments.

Yep, don't sweat it.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 6 7 8 9 10 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.