Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Presentation and Reality

68 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• Tom Semmens,

“…I do believe that if Labour had a dashing leader who attracted young women at the races, you would see an equivalent story…”

Stuart Nash and Jacinda Ardern as the red dreamboat team for 2014, perhaps? Has our political journalism really come to that? Actually, that is a rhetorical question. When I saw the the subject for this episode of Media7 I laughed, because it seems to me completely pointless to have an episode examining the actions of a corpse.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

National hits back at Goff's 'vital statistics'

Call that hitting back? "its rubbish"
    that is more like the petulant tantrum of a two year old. If the Prime Minister had any concrete evidence he would have used it then but he has nothing.
    Newspapers and media in general are all about advertising revenue and are slaves to their own polls and surveys, they want to be seen as being on the "winning" side, so the process corrupts itself.
    You can find unbiased and well researched items but they tend to be followed by the line "the opinions expressed in this article are not those of this newspapers owners, so should be ignored", or something along those lines.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

The Harold headlines are certainly biased - but that's the subeditors, not the journos, isn't it?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Sacha,

– but that’s the subeditors . . .

Do they still have those?
    Anyway, for the not-so-Bieberfeverish, from the Saturday before last's container mall event, the non-smiling assasin.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Sacha,

but that’s the subeditors,

Who are subcontracted out to Pagemakers in Australia.
    Think about that for a while.

• Sacha, in reply to Steve Barnes,

discussed hereabouts for many years now

• Steve Barnes,

According to the Prime Minister we only read the headlines anyway.

• Ian Dalziel,

Present and real...
    Watch YU55 fly by live at SLOOH or live from Keck Observatory in about 40 minutes (it's 2.18pm now)...
    I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the PACWAV 11 tsunami exercise is on tomorrow as is the FCC's Emergency Broadcast test which will usurp control of all US media...
    }}: - /

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

The Granny finally publishes Goff's Top 10... but still framed around Key rather than Goff.

The wider issue is that not everyone has the attention spans that we do, in order to sort the wheat from the chaff. When you're working 55+ hour working weeks just to buy that magical plastic item on TV, so as not to be ridiculed by your neighbours for looking 'backward', you certainly wouldn't.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• merc,

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• DCBCauchi, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

If only we'd grabbed a chance, we wouldn't be sorry for a might-have-been.

Since Feb 2011 • 320 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to merc,

The framing is awesome.

A nice guilt frame always displays well.

• Sacha, in reply to merc,

Key says he is not worried about Cunliffe's latest smear attempt

Of course he's not. No one is confronting him effectively with simple messages around the recent downgrades, for instance. Waffle is easily deflected.

• Kyle Matthews,

The Granny finally publishes Goff's Top 10... but still framed around Key rather than Goff.

I don't see why The Herald or any other paper is obligated to reprint the entirety of any list that Phil Goff or anyone else comes up with. That would make them the mouthpiece of Labour, not National. I hope they pick and choose what they print throughout the campaign.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP, in reply to Kyle Matthews,

I hope they pick and choose what they print throughout the campaign.

Oh don't worry, they are. Like this tripe. Although at least in the online version they don't link to the poll in question, as they do in the print version.

Careful what you wish for.

Auckland • Since Mar 2011 • 2450 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __, in reply to JacksonP,

Like this tripe

Oh, gods. Firstly, ewww! Secondly, WTF?!

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Kyle Matthews,

I don’t see why The Herald or any other paper is obligated to reprint the entirety of any list that Phil Goff or anyone else comes up with. That would make them the mouthpiece of Labour, not National. I hope they pick and choose what they print throughout the campaign.

I think the odd thing was that they headlined the story with the “top 10 points” or whatever, then the story spent quite a few words waffling and not delivering on the headline. I felt badly served as a reader,

You don’t have the publish the list as gospel – indeed, you clearly shouldn’t – but it’s worth acknowledging all the claims. Ideally, you’d also seek to verify them, as a service to your readers. Simon Collins did so with the emigration to Australia claim – which turned out to be true – but the rest of it sort of disappeared. It was really pretty poor.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• merc,

It's got so bad I'm numbed already, nothing, not even John at the prawn farm affects me now.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Russell Brown,

Simon Collins did so with the emigration to Australia claim – which turned out to be true – but the rest of it sort of disappeared. It was really pretty poor.

And right now the PSA union, of all people, is raising the issue. Not sure how much traction it’s getting.

Even the Granny is starting to smell something.

• Kumara Republic, in reply to merc,

It's got so bad I'm numbed already, nothing, not even John at the prawn farm affects me now.

Does the word 'poseur' come to mind?

• Steve Barnes, in reply to merc,

It’s got so bad I’m numbed already, nothing,

Yeah, well. I left England to escape the ravages of Thatcher, people leave their homes because it is no longer Home.
    When I came here we had a Labour Government, 1986…
    Labour is better now. Shit, in 1984 they had to clean up after the previous National Government and what happened? We needed money... apparently. So we sold the family silver and Douglas mad some new pals that were worth more than his family history .
    Do I have to leave here now because NZ has just caught up with Thatcher?

While it is on my mind...
    ACT, apparently, is an acronym for Association of Consumers and Tax payers. Not a very good acronym but hey, they ain't that bright.
    Consumption used to have a different name

• Craig Ranapia,

The second part of this week's show will also be worth catching. Sarah Daniell interviews sociologist and former fashion model Ashley Mears on how the media fawn over fashionistas and miss the real, more troubling, stories in the industry.

The troubling part of the story was watching Amanda Bansgrove spinning the whitewashing of fashion media/advertising with a poker face. So, non-white models are fabulous but they've got to have "the right look" - which, surprise, just happens to be remarkably similar to a tall, underweight Pakeha teenager. Thanks for putting my mind at rest, Mandy - I couldn't have said that straight-faced without fresh botox.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Thanks for putting my mind at rest, Mandy - I couldn't have said that straight-faced without fresh botox.

Absolutely Fabulous....
    Need I say more?

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Steve Barnes,

Do I have to leave here now because NZ has just caught up with Thatcher?

More Dubya than Thatcher I reckon.

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

So, non-white models are fabulous but they've got to have "the right look" - which, surprise, just happens to be remarkably similar to a tall, underweight Pakeha teenager. Thanks for putting my mind at rest, Mandy - I couldn't have said that straight-faced without fresh botox

Classic case of But Not Too Black. (Surgeon General's Warning; may be hazardous to your productivity.)

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.