Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The perils of political confidence

632 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 22 23 24 25 26 Newer→ Last

• linger, in reply to 3410,

it would be fair to call Key a stone cold liar

except it is difficult to remain stone cold while spinning so fast.
    The only way Craig's point here might apply to Key is if we are trying to distinguish between a liar (someone who knows the truth, and deliberately distorts it) and a bullshitter (someone who has no idea what the truth is, and just makes shit up).

Tokyo • Since Apr 2007 • 1944 posts Report Reply

• Hebe,

I wonder what big bucket of effluent the Nats will come out with tomorrow or Thursday? Just saying that's an obvious next move. They are looking increasingly like they know the govern-alone prize has slipped away in the last week and the long-haul strategy for the second term seemed to have been predicated on having an absolute majority. I reckon Key had seen some bad polling yesterday -- in the debate in repose he looked like he'd eaten a dead rat and was never able fire up his schmoozer.

Fascinating the way this election is playing out, and although I don't warm to Phil Goff he is showing the benefit of a lifetime's training in Labour Party internal politics.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• hamishm, in reply to 3410,

Personally, I think it would be fair to call Key a stone cold liar.

Yeah, I really dunno if he believes what he says or he's just done it by rote learning.

It _has_ been interesting tho'. And the recent surge in NZ First has muddied the pitch more than somewhat. Radio NZ saying that the Greens could get 15 seats also jumbles it all.
    Crikey

Since Nov 2006 • 357 posts Report Reply

• DexterX,

Hands up all those Labour party voters who plan to employ more people sometime in the next three years?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1224 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Well, that will teach me to extend anyone the benefit of the doubt ever again... It's going to be a looooong haul to midnight on Friday isn't it?

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• linger, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Doubtless :-)
    It is perhaps part of the job description that a politician will sometimes be a liar and/or a bullshitter. (To be honest, I don't think that's an overly cynical position.)
    But if we accept that, then the only thing we have left by which to distinguish the various lying bastards is – how willing are they to acknowledge the truth when they have to?

Tokyo • Since Apr 2007 • 1944 posts Report Reply

• Alex Coleman, in reply to 3410,

No, it's a trick. The 10% figure that Key claims is "after tax"; in other words, most of that is counting cuts in PAYE rates, but not counting GST increase.

Is he still counting the pre election tax cut from Labour in that? He was for a while.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 247 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 22 23 24 25 26 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.