Read Post

Hard News: The perils of political confidence

632 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 Newer→ Last

One of the commenters here has a transcript:

Obvious fake.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Meanwhile, what about the serious allegations of influence peddling by Pita Sharples’ electorate manager? Anyone have anything to say about that?

If it's as described in the story, then it is extremely serious. I trust we will hear more on this.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• John Farrell, in reply to 3410,

I know that - I thought some might enjoy it.

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 499 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to BenWilson,

To give it authenticity as a cup of tea? And to avoid undermining the authenticity of it by having to actually script a careful conversation about politics, or undermine any political purpose in it at all by talking only pleasantries. It worked better as something seen but not heard.

So your contention is that Bryce Johns has put his head on the block -- and potentially his job on the line -- by entirely fabricating the details of a conversation and telling everyone about this non-existent conversation, including APN's layers and senior executives?

• Russell Brown, in reply to John Farrell,

I know that – I thought some might enjoy it.

I think 3410 was being ironic :-)

• Russell Brown,

Okay, this thing went up several notches just now.

Stuff’s Twitter account is reporting that Key will complain to the police over the matter.

It’s probably a decent strategy for Key and his people – to reframe it as a criminal offence against him – but it’s also a bit creepy.

Edit: John Edwards has pointed out this could backfire if the police don’t find a case to prosecute. That would leave the way open for the HoS to publish.

Edit 2: This puts the police in a difficult position. They could choose to process a complaint with dispatch, but would they?

• merc,

Wheels have come off.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Keir Leslie,

I wouldn't be surprised if Key and Banks talked real actual politics. Heaps of this stuff needs to be done face to face/man to man, and those chances don't happen often in an election campaign.

Since Jul 2008 • 1452 posts Report Reply

• John Farrell, in reply to Russell Brown,

Yes, but it will delay publication until after the election.
    I find this strange. If it's innocuous, release it, and let the story die.
    The increasing fuss just fuels suspicion.

• Graeme Edgeler, in reply to Russell Brown,

Edit: John Edwards has pointed out this could backfire if the police don’t find a case to prosecute. That would leave the way open for the HoS to publish.

Yeah, but not for months. And even then, a decision by police that there was no criminality involved wouldn't mean publication wouldn't be a civil wrong.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to BenWilson,

I very much doubt this has been the case for either of them for a very long time.

Although Banks doesn't drink he does call in to meet up with friends at the Cavalier, just as Winston Peters does, (he does like a tipple). Banks did afterall once own it and Key has been spotted out late at Shanghai Lil's (although he appeared alone) in Parnell.So they can do the odd normal thing :)
    but yeah,+1 for what Ben said.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• John Farrell, in reply to Russell Brown,

That's the problem with the internet....Poe's law and all that.....

• BenWilson, in reply to Russell Brown,

So your contention is that Bryce Johns has put his head on the block -- and potentially his job on the line -- by entirely fabricating the details of a conversation and telling everyone about this non-existent conversation, including APN's layers and senior executives?

No, I think that a conversation happened, and was recorded. But I don't think that it's going to have explosive content. Furthermore, whether it does or not, it is between the Herald and Key/Banks, and the other parties should keep well out of it. It's news to me whether anyone's head is on the block, it seems to me like it's just some footage the Herald might like to use because it would sell papers.

Of course I'm only going on public information in this, I don't have journalistic insiders feeding it to me. Maybe there is a real leak here, which would explain the instant Labour lockjaw fix on it.

If they did seriously say anything "game changing" then that suggests that two extremely canny politicians did something extraordinarily cretinous. I'll back the Herald having weak news over that most days, without any further information.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• merc,

Also, were the media invited to this tea fest? Because, you know, that may change things somewhat.
    Oh and writing that what they said is game changing then refusing to say more has a weird burlesque feel to it.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to Keir Leslie,

Heaps of this stuff needs to be done face to face/man to man, and those chances don't happen often in an election campaign

Yes, where in the 7*24*4 = 672 hours during the campaign could they possibly find the time to pick up a telephone? Or get any of their thousand flunkies to do it.

• Russell Brown, in reply to BenWilson,

Of course I’m only going on public information in this, I don’t have journalistic insiders feeding it to me.

Same. But I am familiar with editorial environments and I know two or th three journalists involved.

Maybe there is a real leak here, which would explain the instant Labour lockjaw fix on it.

Well, Grant Robertson talked to Stuff, after Russel Norman had called for the release of the transcript. Not exactly instant or lockjaw, just stirring the pot.

If they did seriously say anything “game changing” then that suggests that two extremely canny politicians did something extraordinarily cretinous. I’ll back the Herald having weak news over that most days, without any further information.

I still think you don't acknowledge how far out on a limb Johns and his journalists have gone already. You don't do that over nothing.

• Sacha, in reply to BenWilson,

two extremely canny politicians

I needed a laugh

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

You don't do that over nothing

totally - and Johns was always an impressive editor at the Waikato Times.

• Russell Brown, in reply to merc,

Also, were the media invited to this tea fest? Because, you know, that may change things somewhat.

They were.

Oh and writing that what they said is game changing then refusing to say more has a weird burlesque feel to it.

Johns sounded fairly stressed on the radio this morning. I'd say there have been some intense conversations going on since they contacted Key's office on Saturday.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Sacha,

totally – and Johns was always an impressive editor at the Waikato Times.

He was. He's an intelligent man.

• Tom Semmens,

Stuff’s Twitter account is reporting that Key will complain to the police over the matter.

National has got form on bullying the media when it goes off-message in cultivating the cult of Key.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson, in reply to merc,

I still think you don't acknowledge how far out on a limb Johns and his journalists have gone already. You don't do that over nothing.

You'd probably have to elaborate about the risks. The recording/transcript has not been released yet, so there's not much of a limb there, is there?

• Russell Brown,

Anyway, from the Stuff story, quoting Johns on the radio:

Bryce Johns said Key was doing "an exceptional job at deflecting the attention in this saga from what he said".

"I've got a bit of disdain for the prime minister right now and the lines they are running."

Senior editorial staff had expected the conversation to be boring but for Key and Banks to "traverse into the areas they did with the media pack less than one metre away is unfathomable".

However, the tape was not Watergate "by any stretch of the imagination".

"It's just some silly 'this is how we are going to rule the world stuff'.

"It's nothing that is going to bring down the Government but it's certainly embarrassing."

Johns said there was one "injudicious" comment that could change the way some people vote.

• John Farrell,

Time for someone to channel the Duke of Wellington.

• Sacha,

It's a Media7 show unfolding before our eyes/ears..

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.