Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: A week being a long time in politics

333 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 14 Newer→ Last

• Raymond A Francis,

Check the Trademe forums if you want to see what the people might think, now this could be an area of hotbed torisym but maybe not, certainly is where the little people hang out

45' South • Since Nov 2006 • 578 posts Report Reply

• Nat, in reply to JacksonP,

God I wish we had a Jon Stewart, or even a MacPhail and Gadsby, to rip this situation a new one in satire. It’s pretty much writing itself.

Wonder if John Clarke could be tempted back for a wee spot of satire. He is the weekly highlight of Australian politics.

Seattle • Since Jun 2011 • 52 posts Report Reply

• merc,

I'm loving the whole thing because you know, people talking is better than people walking John ;-)

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Raymond A Francis,

Check the Trademe forums if you want to see what the people might think, now this could be an area of hotbed torisym but maybe not, certainly is where the little people hang out

I'm not sure whether it's fair to equate the population at large with the denizens of the Trade Me forums, who can be decent folk in one breath and kinda crazy in the next. I fondly recall reading there once a warning that I was "an extreme Marxist", which would certainly surprise the folk at The Standard.

And, given those forums' extensive history of flouting court orders, it's not where I'd be going for legal opinions.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• linger,

people talking is better than people walking

How’s this for an idle speculation:
    what if the Act deal is that Key leaves after the election, once National is safely back in power, but before they have to do anything that would impact on Key’s legacy (until this week) as NZ’s most popular politician?
    Hawaii would start looking pretty attractive at such a time, ne?

Tokyo • Since Apr 2007 • 1944 posts Report Reply

• Danyl Mclauchlan,

How’s this for an idle speculation:
    what if the Act deal is that Key leaves after the election

I'm not sure if 'idle' is the word you're looking for . . .

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 927 posts Report Reply

• Grant McDougall,

A stronger interviewer than Mercep would have invited Joyce to repeat or recant some of the more outrageous things he has said.

Good call. Mercep is a competent enough presenter, but an mediocre interviewer.

Dunedin • Since Dec 2006 • 760 posts Report Reply

• merc, in reply to Danyl Mclauchlan,

Yeah, idly I'd say it's a given because this whole ambitious for NZ thing just got way too hard and I have my photo albums.

• Sonic,

I think Key's fundamental weaknesses are being revealed in the heat of the campaign. Key can be Arrogant, not good on detail and resentful when contradicted. It says much about our supine media that it has taken 5 years for them to report this.

Any candidate who goes into the last week of a campaign complaining about "media bias" is in a losing position, that line may shore up your core support but looks whiney and dishonest to the undecideds,

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 102 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to Russell Brown,

I'm not sure whether it's fair to equate the population at large with the denizens of the Trade Me forums .... given those forums' extensive history of flouting court orders, it's not where I'd be going for legal opinions.

Wasn't the point more that if one is (possibly) too close to the action, and thus wants to try to get an idea of what's on the mind of the yer average punter on the clapham omnibus/outside the beltway, then the TM forums are a good place to take the temperature of public sentiment?

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Tom Semmens,

I find the totalitarian circular logic of Joyce the most disturbing aspect of all this. It seems he cares nothing for morals, ethics or common sense in justifying his actions. He just needs the polls. The polls reporting opinion formed by his careful media manipulation and bullying. It a frightening glimpse into the mind of a man where morality is replaced by majoritarian rule, with the majority being where he decides it should be.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• merc, in reply to Tom Semmens,

You want to see that Day In The Life clip from Campbell, the Tony Ryall head nodding, the tee shirts, it's all disturbing, then there's Act, the teeshirted youths, garrrr.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Rich Lock,

Wasn’t the point more that if one is (possibly) too close to the action, and thus wants to try to get an idea of what’s on the mind of the yer average punter on the clapham omnibus/outside the beltway, then the TM forums are a good place to take the temperature of public sentiment?

I keep making the point that I don't know or understand what the wider public thinks about all this right now, and I certainly don't need to read the Trade Me forums to know my own mind.

I'm just personally appalled at what has gone on.

• Russell Brown,

And here's the BoingBoing thread on the past week's events. I feel so proud ...

• merc,

It's funny no one has mentioned the actual words "freedom of the press", does National have that many bots?

• Rich of Observationz,

do you think ”things are going well at the moment?”

“If the election was held now who would your party vote be for?”

That's wrong to start with. Voters in polling booths don't get prompted, so if you want an accurate answer, then the "how will you vote" question should come first.

It would be interesting to track the activities of polling firms using crowdsourcing, to see who's polling and how they get their results.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Tom Semmens,

I find the totalitarian circular logic of Joyce the most disturbing aspect of all this. It seems he cares nothing for morals, ethics or common sense in justifying his actions. He just needs the polls. The polls reporting opinion formed by his careful media manipulation and bullying. It a frightening glimpse into the mind of a man where morality is replaced by majoritarian rule, with the majority being where he decides it should be.

Sounds very much like a certain puppetmaster Vice President from recent years, who helped concoct the lie that Iraq was responsible for 9/11.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• James Littlewood*, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Key and Goff's whole relationship reminds me of Muldoon & Rowling. When Muldoon drawled "I think I've just been mauled by a mouse" it didn't matter what Rowling said, how relevant it was, or what use it might have been in the running of a country: the swing voters simply weren't interested.

Same with Goff: his policy regime all year has been nothing but nettles grasped and elephants in the room addressed. Do they care? Apparently not.

What gets me is how any government in NZ, 2011 can get any support at all for the prospect of selling assets.

Auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 410 posts Report Reply

• Terry Baucher, in reply to Tom Semmens,

Listening to Joyce on Morning Report this morning left me near apopleptic at his smug arrogance. As you say everything is sacrificed for short term polls where the only plan is to be re-elected.

Devonport • Since Nov 2008 • 91 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to Russell Brown,

My comment wasn't aimed at you in particular. One part of Joyce's strategy has been to cast this as a non-issue, with his 81% comments and so on (the other part being heavy-handed intimidation).

I've no real idea if the teapot tapes issue is touching a nerve with 'ordinary New Zealanders' (tm), but the trademe forums are possibly somewhere where I'd look for an answer, if I wanted one.

I already know my own mind on the issue, so I'm not inclined to go diving.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

this could be an area of hotbed torisym

Opinionated grumpy righties are more numerous than opinionated lefties. This doesn't necessarily equate to the opinions of the wider population.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Tom Semmens, in reply to Kumara Republic,

Sounds very much like a certain puppetmaster Vice President from recent years.

You mean the one who “creates his own reality”?

I have thought for a long time the influence of the ideological and campaigning links developed between the US Republican Party and National/ACT during their long wilderness in opposition through the 2000’s are in serious need of a Hagaresque investigation.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Tom Semmens,

I find the totalitarian circular logic of Joyce the most disturbing aspect of all this. It seems he cares nothing for morals, ethics or common sense in justifying his actions. He just needs the polls.

Two current Members of Parliament came there after being commercial radio station owners. One is Joyce, the other is McCully. Sayin'.

• JLM,

I'm starting to get really worried about the same thing as Tim Watkin

Judy Martin's southern sl… • Since Apr 2007 • 241 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to James Littlewood*,

What gets me is how any government in NZ, 2011 can get any support at all for the prospect of selling assets.

Quite simple, really – they don’t. But blow up stories of Bludgers Bashing Babies and Layabouts Looting Living Rooms, and presto – instant wedge politics in a can. It’s an echo of Goldwater and Nixon’s Southern Strategy from years back.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 14 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.