Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Flying Nun: Thirtysomething

38 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

• LIISA,

Sorry if this is too cheeky Russell, but I’m rather pleased that – with the agreement of publishers Mushroom Music and Native Tongue, as well as Roger & Flying Nun Records – Radio NZ is able to make this documentary series available for free download/podcast for the very first time. (even though its not new, or perfectly executed)
    Now… on with the stories…

Wellie • Since May 2008 • 46 posts Report Reply

• bob daktari,

why is it links to nat radio always go bung? Release the tapes... opps sorry wrong thread (nice work on the dl of the podcast)

Solid Gold Hell last night at the KA playing SPUD's Breakdown Town made me feel many years younger... big smiles.... awesome!

would trade again

auckland • Since Dec 2006 • 540 posts Report Reply

• Ray Gilbert, in reply to LIISA,

We looked at the Epic promo for the Flying Nun Ale last night. I think it was on Facebook so I can't access it at the mo'. They claim that Flying Nun fans have probably never tasted craft beer and don't like anything to dark or challenging. Which I find quite strange considering the demographic that is represented by my friends and the fans on this blog.

Since Nov 2006 • 104 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Sorry if this is too cheeky Russell

Not at all.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

We looked at the Epic promo for the Flying Nun Ale last night.

Had one the other day. Bloody nice! Next best thing to a good home brew, and makes all DB and Lion products seem like Soda Stream.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• LIISA, in reply to bob daktari,

Sorry - my stupid fingers:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/flyingnun

• LIISA,

(Russell, maybe you could edit that link in the first post please? - I'm too late)

• JacksonP,

Attachment

Hamish Kilgour talks to Marcus on Radio Live from a bridge in New York city, and serves up the prime minister, trains and the brutality of the Occupy clamp down in New York.

Rock n roll as it happens.

Photo from HDU and Verlaines gig last Saturday. Looking forward to the others on the near horizon.

Auckland • Since Mar 2011 • 2450 posts Report Reply

• Stupid,

Ghost Club finale, Kings Arms, 17/11/11 resulting in a broken guitar neck... https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150354866696486&saved
    Hope this link works, or I'll post it on YouTube.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 75 posts Report Reply

• Stupid, in reply to JacksonP,

Hamish Kilgour talks to Marcus on Radio Live from a bridge in New York city, and serves up the prime minister, trains and the brutality of the Occupy clamp down in New York.

That’s fantastic, thanks JP

• Stupid,

• Stupid,

• Bruce Wurr,

That Hamish Kilgour interview is fantastic. Also I believe the fetus productions gig will be on radio nz too at some stage.

Auckland • Since Dec 2006 • 97 posts Report Reply

• JacksonP,

Speaking of Hamish Kilgour, being only three years since their last gig in Manhattan, any hope of seeing these guys again in my lifetime? That would be something.

Auckland • Since Mar 2011 • 2450 posts Report Reply

• Chris Lipscombe,

Lots of memories, especially of working with Roger and Hamish to get those early EPs and 45s into the hands of Wellingtonians -- see http://www.redeye.co.nz/ref1.htm

Wellington • Since Nov 2011 • 19 posts Report Reply

• Kris V,

The Flying Nun gigs this weekend have been most excellent. Friday night was pretty cool (especially Shayne Carter's 'Joe 90') but the story of the weekend came from last night's gig, with Delaney Davidson opening for a re-formed HDU.

If you've ever seen Delaney perform live, you'll know he's a master of the loop pedal, artfully layering tracks to create an entire orchestra. About halfway through his set, he asked if we were ready for the dancing competition. Bemused looks and giggles rippled through the crowd, and he started laying down his tracks, building up a complex rhythm. Just when you thought he couldn't possibly add anything more, he stopped, put down his guitar and stepped into the crowd.

Taking the nearest female by the arm, he started waltzing with her. After engaging a male to take his place, he repeated the process, encouraging others to do the same. As hubby & I started dancing, the guy next to us turned to a woman he didn't know, and made the universal gesture for 'shall we?'.

Soon, almost the entire crowd was dancing - all soft 'n gentle, like. As he left the dancefloor, Delaney threw a bunch of fake Chinese banknotes up in the air and they fluttered down like oversized confetti. Strangers, friends, lovers - all were dancing the slow-shuffle waltz while the one-man-band played on.

It was a truly magical moment. Seriously, if you ever get the chance, see this man live. And enjoy the dance competition - it's a wonderful, magical moment that will warm your heart. I'm still smiling about it now :)

TLDR? Delaney Davidson: must see

Shakeytown • Since Nov 2008 • 61 posts Report Reply

• Paul Rowe,

If Kris's piece was TL:DR then you really missed out :)

Lake Roxburgh, Central Ot… • Since Nov 2006 • 574 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Paul Rowe,

you would have had to read the whole thing to get to the tldr part anyway :)

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Quaint quanta…

Flying Nun’s Greatest Bits

I woulda liked to have heard some Marie and the Atom, This Sporting Life and Naked Spots Dance on there, too – still I guess ya can’t bend the laws of time and space just to suit my desires – though I do note that there has been a crashing-Bohr of a theory put forward that the quantum wavefunction* is actually real… the future beckons!

*(Something John Key has used to his advantage…)

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Love that song. Thanks.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Buoyish charm...

Flying Nun’s Greatest Bits

I guess it's just the way bands were back then
    - but LBGP aside, there is a preponderance of testosterone-based
    bipeds in this birthday line up...
    maybe some Jay Clarkson or Maryrose Crook (Renderers)
    (in addition to M&TA above) is also needed to help the balance...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

The Bats were really great on Saturday night at the King's Arms. The new songs sounded really good and it was apparent what a big part of them is Kaye's lead guitar and vocals. Lovely tones, the both.

They encored with (of course) 'North By North', which was blazing. 'North By North' is The Bats' 'Point That Thing'. Sayin'.

And also, I shot 'Fingers of Dawn' from the new album on my fancy new phone:

• Russell Brown, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

I woulda liked to have heard some Marie and the Atom, This Sporting Life and Naked Spots Dance on there, too – still I guess ya can’t bend the laws of time and space just to suit my desires

It might be a bit tricky to get all the permissions, but it would be great to do a really good compilation of the more obscure stuff. Naked Spots Dance's 'Governed By You' is on the 25th anniversary box set though, trainspotters.

• Russell Brown,

Actually, here's a challenge: can we work up a theoretical track listing for a FN Obscurities compilation?

• Russell Brown,

Here's a start -- The Alpaca Brothers' Legless EP, which is here on this MP3 blog until the glorious day when Flying Nun re-releases it. 'The Lie' is still one of my all-time favourite Flying Nun songs.

I ran into Bruce Blucher once, late in the day at the Big Day Out (yes, I was trollied) and gabbled excitedly to him about the record. I think he was appreciative but slightly taken aback.

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.