Muse by Craig Ranapia

Read Post

Muse: Indecision '11: Fighting the Grey Peril

51 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

Welcome visitors from Kiwiblog. Enjoy your visit. Look around. Play nice.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Susannah Shepherd, in reply to M Pearlstein,

That said, I don’t see why predominantly european countries should ever voluntarily agree to become minorities.

I believe if you consult a map, you'll see this debate isn't taking place in a European country, so the argument hardly stands...

Wellington • Since Jan 2008 • 58 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Susannah Shepherd,

I believe if you consult a map, you’ll see this debate isn’t taking place in a European country, so the argument hardly stands…

Oh, Susannah… next you’ll be telling Grey Power to mind the geographical failwhale of talking about keeping “the country’s population to remain Pacific-based and not have such a large Asian component.” :)

• bronwyn, in reply to Tom Beard,

That generation lived through WWII

And if that wasn't a lesson in what happens when intolerance is allowed to reign supreme, I don't know what was.

tamaki makaurau • Since Nov 2006 • 86 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to bronwyn,

you can lead a fool to history..

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Stewart,

I wasn't condoning the xenophobia some older people have - just empathising (note: not sympathising) about how they may have developed that mind-set.
    Myself, I'm more than happy to live in a vibrant multi-racial society - brings out the best in all of us (while still bringing out the worst in a very small minority - yes, Kyle Chapman, I'm talking about you).

Te Ika A Maui - Whakatane… • Since Oct 2008 • 577 posts Report

• Kyle Matthews,

That said, I don’t see why predominantly european countries should ever voluntarily agree to become minorities... Europeans should also look to protect their culture by managing immigration carefully to ensure integration rather than displacement of the host culture(s).

Replace all the 'European' words with 'Maori'. Man did the tangata whenua miss that boat.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Stewart,

I wasn’t condoning the xenophobia some older people have – just empathising (note: not sympathising) about how they may have developed that mind-set.

The poster older person in this case being Mr Dunlop, who would have been a C.41 yr old at the time of the springbok tour. Perhaps that's a little before your time Stewart, but from my recollection you'd have to be a real piece of work to retain that level of wilful ignorance over the past three decades.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

Hi, folks. First, once again many thanks to the awesome PAS Massive for keeping the signal-to-noise ratio pleasingly high. Just warning that I’ll be (temporarily) closing off comments on this thread from lunchtime tomorrow (Friday) until I can be arsed on Sunday morning. -Ish.

• Rich Lock,

There is a follow-up story in this weeks Aucklander.

This weeks letters page also makes interesting reading, running at around 9:1 in favour of 'Des Denlop is an ignorant fool'.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Rich Lock,

Very welcome it is too, for the most part. Still, would have been responsible of The Aucklander to provide a more balanced, fact-based story in the first place. And this still is as depressing as it is unsurprising.

Grey Power's national president, Roy Reid, says that as long as Mr Rayner consulted the association, he had the right to make the submission.

"Bill was highlighting that in 30 years Auckland is going to be an Asian town. All he's asking for is a discussion, there's no harm in that."

Well, Roy, there's plenty of harm to the credibility of your organisation when submissions are made in its name that contain fundamental factual inaccuracies, and racist sentiments many of your own members want to publicly disassociate themselves from. Just ask the EMA...

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Rich Lock,

Mr Rayner said he was surprised by Ms Casey's attitude. "Maybe it's because she's Irish and fairly new ... I just don't know."

Ms Casey hit back saying she was Scottish, not Irish, and had lived in New Zealand for 25 years. "This is not about my migrant status, it's about telling Asians they're not wanted."

Those wacky oldsters, you just gotta empathise :-)

• Rich Lock,

My reading of that Casey quote is that she is summarising the Grey Power take-home message: it's not her position.

Full quote:

At an Auckland Council hearing into the Auckland Plan, councillor Cathy Casey questioned the group's motives and asked whether they had anything to do with the election.

"I heard you on the radio this morning and I thought I was listening to Winston Peters. I'm very disappointed and I'm actually quite shocked," she said.

She said immigration wasn't a council issue. Mr Rayner said he was surprised by Ms Casey's attitude. "Maybe it's because she's Irish and fairly new ... I just don't know."

Ms Casey hit back saying she was Scottish, not Irish, and had lived in New Zealand for 25 years. "This is not about my migrant status, it's about telling Asians they're not wanted."

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Rich Lock,

My reading of that Casey quote is that she is summarising the Grey Power take-home message: it's not her position.

Not my intention to mock Ms Casey, ambiguous quoting = my bad.

BTW have we had the line about migrants living in grottoes yet? It was all the go with Australian talkback callers during the Pauline Hanson beatup. Very picturesque, but sadly didn't happen.

• Stewart,

Yes, Joe, just like a Springboks tour cures all but the most obdurate and intentional racism.

Yes, Joe, just like a Springboks tour cures all but the most obdurate and intentional racism.

A bit of constructive historical opposition seems to have borne fruit. Unlike 1981, I don't recall the team who were here for the RWC providing a rallying point for the kind of white supremacist nonsense that you appear to be at pains to empathise with.

• Stewart,

Joe, your inaccurate and insulting portrayal of what actually appeared in my posts undermines your supposedly 'righteous indignation'.

It's a shame as I really enjoyed your 'Supplementary member' post on the other thread.

I won't be engaging with you further on this thread.

• tussock,

I also won't be talking to anyone on this thread. Taking my ball and going home with it, I am. LA LA LA, can't read this with my fingers in my ears.

Anyhoo, my old man used to be quite racist too, in conversation if not in action perhaps. Then he stopped. Totally happens if you just talk it out with them, eh. Now he's in the camp where he can't figure out how it's bad for Māori to own beaches and good for rich white folk to own beaches at the same time, even going so far as to call that racist.

Since Nov 2006 • 611 posts Report

• merc, in reply to tussock,

Same, it takes a village to raise an elder ;-)

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report

Joe, your inaccurate and insulting portrayal of what actually appeared in my posts undermines your supposedly 'righteous indignation'.

Righteous indignation has nothing to do with it. I don't take an interest in these things as a means of cultivating some kind of imagined sense of moral superiority. Like most people I recognise how indulging casually racist attitudes degrades everyone.

It's a pity that you feel insulted, but it's nothing to what The Aucklander has recently dished out to its readers.

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Like most people I recognise how indulging casually racist attitudes degrades everyone.

It's the respectable, turd-polished racism out there that bothers me even more than those who are more overt about it. As in 'preserving our heritage', 'protecting public security', or using 'model minorities' (or to be dysphemistic, 'honorary Aryans') as an excuse for culture war-piggery.
    I'm nominally a model minority in the eyes of reactionary elements, yet I've never personally identified with the stereotype.

Whereas the likes of Kyle Chapman and Des Dunlop don't pretend to hide anything, so we know where they stand.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Kumara Republic,

I’m nominally a model minority in the eyes of reactionary elements, yet I’ve never personally identified with the stereotype.

I've also heard “model minority” from alleged progressives who are far too enlightened to let 'Uncle Tom' or 'house nigger' pass their lips, but still want to slap down people who don't meet their standards of ethnic correctness. Screw that – lacking the courage of your nastiness doesn’t make you nice.

• Craig Ranapia,

Testy

• Just thinking,

DIY Conspiracy Theory start here:

Chinese Navy bring a listerning platform into Auckland Harbour for the New Zealand Election.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6030968/Chinese-spacecraft-tracker-berthed-in-harbour

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to Just thinking,

it would make sense for our new owners to monitor proceedings

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.