Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Solemnity of the Day

146 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

Just for a laugh, The Standard is already trying to undermine any result not to their liking - along with a epically classy attack on the Electoral Commission

And finally we have an Electoral Commission that really seems to be losing the plot a bit. Apparently (this just in from comments) even discussing the weather on election day could get you in to trouble if there is any link (implied link?) to voter behaviour. An election under a cloud indeed.

Perhaps The Standardistas could try not pissing on the people whose job it is to apply legislation (and do a damn good job, IMNSHO) and direct their bile at the people who write it? Just sayin'...

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Perhaps The Standardistas could try not pissing on the people whose job it is to apply legislation (and do a damn good job, IMNSHO) and direct their bile at the people who write it? Just sayin’…

Quite.

The EC is feeling its way and it needs to rethink the way it frames its message – which deep down is basically that we should observe the spirit of the law – but people there genuinely are trying to apply the law with which they are presented.

Mind you, I honestly think the Standard has been outdone in this campaign by the febrile snarling from most of the right-wing blogs, especially over the teapot tapes. I’ve found those quite unpleasant. FFS, people, your guy’s gonna win – try and show at least a scrap of grace.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• SteveH, in reply to Russell Brown,

It’s a breach if you post a Facebook status that reads “Woo! Everybody vote for Winston today!” It’s publishing.

What exactly does count as publishing? Normally publishing implies a release to the public which a Facebook status update isn't, at least provided your wall is visible to friends only. Does an email with that sentence to your friends also count as publishing?

Anyway I guess it's irrelevant as the law says "publishes, or distributes, or broadcasts" and "distributes" covers pretty much everything...

Since Sep 2009 • 444 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Russell Brown,

The EC is feeling its way and it needs to rethink the way it frames its message – which deep down is basically that we should observe the spirit of the law – but people there genuinely are trying to apply the law with which they are presented.

Sure - and I think try to apply legislation to new media that didn't exist when it was framed is always going to be the proverbial square peg, round hole deal. But crapping on civil servants who have to work with what they've got, as best they can, is out of order.

FFS, people, your guy’s gonna win – try and show at least a scrap of grace.

Hard to argue with - as I've often said, little worse than a sore winner. But there's also the element of respecting democracy even - especially - when the outcome is not to your liking. Chris Trotter's sour, patronising "fuck you, loser National-voters" post-election tantrum in the SST three years back was unedifying. To put it politely.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to Russell Brown,

FFS, people, your guy’s gonna win – try and show at least a scrap of grace.

Grace ain't what we're going to get if National has an unmuzzled win. On the up side, remember how good it felt to have Muldoon's government as a lightning rod for political loathing. Barring being in Britain for some of the Thatcher years, I haven't had that experience since. And a lot of great underground music and arts usually comes out of those times.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Paul Dowden,

Yep. I only received guff from The Greens. I'll vote tomorrow at the High Commission - seems more solemn than at the ACT* Electoral Office.

*unfortunate connotations not notwithstanding.

Canberra • Since Dec 2007 • 38 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Hebe,

There will be no 'grace' whatsoever from a Nat/Nact win on Waihoroi - there *will* be the ruination of this country's societies-

so: I continue to hope that ANZers will come to their senses and boot the bastards out.

And frankly, Hebe, all the "underground music and arts" didnt make an iota of difference to the very real pain that occurred then - and will occur again, if voters are stupid.

I'm voting Rino & party vote Green-

see you in the forthcoming hell that *will* result from a Nat/Nact victory, all youse others-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Hebe, in reply to Islander,

All is not lost dear Islander. The numbers are closer than the dominant National spin would have you believe. From tonight's TV poll, it appears the Nats are still trending down, with three days from poll till election day, and are 48%-ish. Labour may not look good but the Nats must have 46% polling plus Act to govern in Key's great gamble of governing alone. I reckon it's much closer than spun when you aggregate all the left and centre grouping who are willing to talk to each other. As a political junkie, I will be fascinated to see how it's all going to play out.

Hebe - I hope...

Of course, Labour is unwell, shall we say, so it would be a National defeat rather than a Labour win and requires tactical voting all over New Zealand. It is surprising, however, how well the average New Zealander can surgically deal to an untrusted party and Prime Minister under MMP; giving them power but hobbling the leaders with the likes of a Winston.

• hamishm,

Yeah, Islander, I get the feeling that this will be a ruinous government. The country has been dramatically weakened by the earthquakes, Pike River and Rena and these guys with no checks on them will go Randroid mad

Since Nov 2006 • 357 posts Report Reply

Mmmmm- again, I hope.
    In the intrinsic common sense/feel for real mana/robust appreciation of social justice for all, and egalitarianism- that our wee nation was once renowned for-

be it so

I fear that a National government that is any other than severely hobbled will turn this country down a hideous path, I have always had the feeling that term one for the Nats was setting the scene. A second unbridled term would be awful, and many of their actions almost irreversible.

unless a grassroots revolution
    (which is, I can forsee, the only alternative-)

• Rob Stowell,

Yeah, term one for Key was always about getting ready for round two, though they have had a few curly ones along the way. He said repeatedly in 08 ‘no asset sales in the first term…’
    I’m trying to harden up, and not get too hopeful, either. But hope is a stubborn wee bugger :) Teh Gnats always knew getting close to 50% was a long-shot. If ACT and (over) Dunne get no seats, it’s quite possible the Māori Party will hold the balance- or even not quite hold it.
    <rant>
    Totally agree about it being a bad bad three years for most in aotearoa if Key gets unchecked power. Stephen Joyce, for example, is currently promising the tertiary sector the same sort of simplistic carrot-and-stick they’ve been trying to force onto schools: 5% funding cuts if certain ‘well-defined performance criteria’ are not met.
    It’s as if they think KPIs must rule us all (rather than being a silly measurement of things noone but managers give a toss about.)
    Never mind institutions that cater to the less-able student- or simply fail to produce a decent % of graduates in the top income bracket. It does increasingly strike me this Govt know the value of nothing but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    </rant> Sorry 'bout that.
    Just been out to see 'when a city falls'. Good film!

Whakaraupo • Since Nov 2006 • 2120 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Rob Stowell,

Just heard from someone who was at today's CERA Spencerville Green/Blue zone residents meeting. They

actually said tonight we have sunk, where as at the last meet they said we had risen. So argh no clue what could happen next. Oh and gee they were cheeky, the first thing they stated, is the speed of the rebuild, will depend on who we vote for on Saturday, implying a vote for National will keep the process moving.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Oh and gee they were cheeky, the first thing they stated, is the speed of the rebuild, will depend on who we vote for on Saturday, implying a vote for National will keep the process moving.

I have only inarticulate growling noises to describe the level of inappropriateness involved there.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Joe Wylie,

the speed of the rebuild, will depend on who we vote for on Saturday

if speed is the only consideration (rather than say fairness), they may well be correct

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• vangam,

Anyone who thinks Bryan Bruce's documentary is pro-Labour is basically admitting that the Natzis dont have a social conscience.- the fools!

Rangiora • Since Jun 2007 • 103 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

Tomorrow I shall be pointedly Labouring in my garden. The garden is Green. I will be growing tomatoes.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to BenWilson,

Heh!

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.